Wilko

It's probably about 20 years since I was in a Wilko. I've not seen a store for ages. Didn't it used to be called Wilkinsons.
They were once known as Wilkinsons, but most folks called them Wilkos anyway, so they just followed suit. The same went for Marks and Spencer changing to M&S.

The closest thing we've had in the US to Woolworths is/was a chain called 'Bed Bath and Beyond'. Like Woolworths, you could start with a shopping cart at one end and leave with pots, pans, flatware, dishes, table cloth , curtains, towels, bedding, coffeemaker, microwave, air fryer, toaster, vacuum cleaner, toothbrush, razor, etc.; in short, everything you would need besides furniture and major appliances to set up housekeeping. Product quality was at the very least acceptable (no dollar store junk) and they also carried a small selection for the Cuisinart crowd. Like Woolworths, you didn't have to dig too deeply into your wallet to avail yourself of BB&B. BB&B stores were quite a bit bigger than Woolworths, but that was because of greater selection.

I think the demise of this store chain was some very bad management decisions taken during COVID, which left them vulnerable to predatory online competition.

I don't remember sweets at Woolworths, but I do miss Turbo Brew coffee from BB&B. I can just hear Auntie now directing Eli to walk boldly with his placards into Bed Bath and Beyond and not buy anything but to bluff them...

We has a couple of other stores along the line of Woolworth's, McCrory's and G.C. Murphy's come to mind. Then we had the advent of the Dollar stores, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, on and on and I guess they're the equivalent of your pound stores? Too bad these stores are gone, I liked them all . The Dollars stores have some useful things, but Woolworth's they ain't..

We had a couple of stores very similar to Woolworth's. There was McCroy's and G.C. Murphy's. I miss them too. We now have Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree and Dollar this and Dollar that. I guess all much like your Pound stores? They serve their purpose I reckon, but I miss the aforementioned stores..

I loved the independent record shop back in the 70's and 80's, in some you could listen to the record or album before you bought it

Ah the heady days of selecting a record handing it to the assistant and they instruct you that you can listen to it in booth 3 absolutely brilliant I to miss them. Although Windows remains in its original home the beautiful Central Arcade in Newcastle no booths but they still sell vinyl and cd's plus they are always the place to go to buy or hire musical instruments.

windos.jpg

The Trouble with my Local Wilko was they just never had anything in stock. I end up going to places like B&M or Home Bargains. But it's been good for getting paint as it's much cheaper than Homebase
We used to find good prices on printer cartridges and stationery, which were much better than our alternatives, Ryman's or online

Ah the heady days of selecting a record handing it to the assistant and they instruct you that you can listen to it in booth 3 absolutely brilliant I to miss them. Although Windows remains in its original home the beautiful Central Arcade in Newcastle no booths but they still sell vinyl and cd's plus they are always the place to go to buy or hire musical instruments.

View attachment 6497
WE had WOODS music shop, everything from a grand Piano to a guitar plectrum. Remember listening to Mungo Jerry's "46 and on" EP in one of the booths on a rainy Saturday afternoon

B&M took over our Woolworths in Pudsey. I think our nearest Wilko might be Batley or Cleckheaton. There might be one at Wortley and Possibly Shipley, but don't use the stores anyway. Before I retired I used to make some of their cleaning products.
We also had a Wilko, but they closed about a year ago. Their store is now occupied by MaxiDeals, with our nearest Wilkos in Melton Mowbray, about 12 miles away.

Back