Why was Ivy confused or shocked?

Moonraker

I've just watched the Christmas special 1989 episode called "what's Santa brought for Nora Then?" Right at the end of the show the cast are exchanging presents. Compo gives Nora a present, which was meant to be from Howard to Marina.
Ivy was presented with what looks like a decorative egg. But when she reads the small card that that accompanies it she seems confused or shocked. Nora who stood overhead is also bemused. Any ideas why?

I think , but I am sure someone will correct me if I have picked the wrong scenario, the egg came from Foggy Dewhirst as he had moved to Bridlington to work on his family's Egg decorating Business and Ivy's present had come from him hence the shock/confusion .

I think , but I am sure someone will correct me if I have picked the wrong scenario, the egg came from Foggy Dewhirst as he had moved to Bridlington to work on his family's Egg decorating Business and Ivy's present had come from him hence the shock/confusion .

You have the correct scene, I think I read somewhere that it was a subtle hint Foggy was going to return

If you watch Uncle of the Bride, then Santa Bought Nora Then?, and then Return of the Warrior - in that order - it should all make sense.

The bit where Ivy opens the present and reads the letter is quite dramatic.

But why should Foggy send a present to Ivy?

Actually, as it was a Christmas Special and it is the time to remember friends and relatives etc and the surprised look on her face; that the present and accompanying card was from her deceased husband. However, I did not want to commit myself as it would be a ridiculous suggestion, and so it turned out to be!

Why send the letter to Ivy?

Excellent question.

Maybe he had been invited to the party, and that was his reply.

Maybe it's easier to send his news to Ivy, so it goes round the community quicker.

Maybe a hastily written scene not in the original script to give a taste of what was to come.

Who knows.

Certainly one of the oddest endings for LOTSW.

I think one of the books I've read does confirm that the egg was meant as hint of Foggy's return. The episode was filmed as part of the following season from what I understand, so at that point they knew Brian Wilde as Foggy would be replacing Michael Aldridge as Seymour.

On the other hand, I don't know when the news of that was made official. I presume most fans knew it was happening by the time that episode aired, but maybe Roy Clarke thought it was a fun way to end the episode anyway.

I think one of the books I've read does confirm that the egg was meant as hint of Foggy's return. The episode was filmed as part of the following season from what I understand, so at that point they knew Brian Wilde as Foggy would be replacing Michael Aldridge as Seymour.

On the other hand, I don't know when the news of that was made official. I presume most fans knew it was happening by the time that episode aired, but maybe Roy Clarke thought it was a fun way to end the episode anyway.

This special was not filmed as part of the following season, it was filmed as part of the series that had just been shown.

I think Michael Aldridge was well aware during his last series that he wouldn't be able to manage filming for much longer, what with his problems at home, but did manage his five minute appearance in the season that followed.

This special was not filmed as part of the following season, it was filmed as part of the series that had just been shown.

I think Michael Aldridge was well aware during his last series that he wouldn't be able to manage filming for much longer, what with his problems at home, but did manage his five minute appearance in the season that followed.

Either way, Bell's book says he Michael Aldridge informed him he would not be back at some point in the filming of Series 11 so presumably so did Clarke. I guess it all depends on when exactly that was filmed - as part of the normal scheduled filming block or later as its own production? I know some specials were filmed that way. It seems unlikely that during the summer filming they would already have known that Brian Wide would be returning.

Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry for that series in its notes for the episode says that Nora and Ivy "mouth" Foggy's name as well, which I had never picked up on.

When that special was made, I don't think there was any definite plans for Brian Wilde to come back.

I never noticed Nora and Ivy mouthing 'Foggy', will have to look out for that.

The same actress certainly, and the same sort of character.

A big mistake in the continuity, I think some of that series and it's Special (which was shown at the start) was shot out of sequence and there was some uncertainty about whether Brian Wilde was going to appear in some of that series, as he was suffering with shingles at the time.

wasnt truly going to be a sort of short term character until brian came back? but then it came out the he wasnt returning so frank thornton joined permeant at least thats what i have heard. , i also felt as if some of the episodes in that series didnt have time to be rewritten so therefore truly didnt really settle until the series after that when the scripts would be more suited to the character.

From reading the various books about the series, Brian did have Shingles which meant he had to dive out of filming at short notice. But the vibe I got was the production team were happy to let him go as he was so difficult to work with. It's speculation on my part but I reckon even if Brian had wanted to return after his illness, he wouldn't have been allowed to do so. For that reason I think Truly was always going to be a permanent replacement for him.

Back