Why the ties?

Onslow

Dedicated Member
I've always noted the varying attire of the cast member and found it interesting that so many men wore ties as a matter of daily dress. Clegg, Truly, Smiler, even Howard (under a pullover). And it was never counted as overly formal (money-man Barry had an excuse : ).

Is there a precedent or rule/custom that dictates this or was it truly (no pun) unusual?

I have always assumed that it represented their generation, though Roy Clarke may have exaggerated the prevalence of it. Certainly my grandfather (of that generation but American) didn't get caught up on wearing ties but I do remember other older men when I was young who wore ties pretty much in all circumstances.

In the UK tie wearing was prevalent in many eras and certainly men of our characters age would have almost certainly worn ties for pretty much every occasion as part of their daily dress . I recall travelling on Holiday to Majorca in the mid 60's and my Father took suits and ties with him because at that time you had to formally dress for dinner so there are all these men trussed up in suits and ties and the mercury is hitting 40 degrees . After work he would come home and get washed and changed to go out for a couple of beers and he always wore a tie to go to the bar .

Very interesting, thanks for responses. The trio, among others seemed to do a lot of hiking/antics in their respective ensembles so definitely a hardy generation!

It is interesting that while the trio, Howard, and Wally followed the dress code idea, Sid and Wesley really never did even though the show presented them as being from the same generation.

My grandad was born in 1915, and he always wore a pullie/cardie and ALWAYS wore a tie even if he was at home just watching the TV!

Eddie Stobart also made his drivers dress smartly in a shirt and tie (probably clip on) I'm not sure if this still is the case?

I watched an old news reel of London the other day, and loads looked really smart in their no1 military uniforms, that doesn't seem to happen anymore either.

Eddie Stobart also made his drivers dress smartly in a shirt and tie (probably clip on) I'm not sure if this still is the case?
I think they wear polo shirts now, my grandkids wear ties to school but clip ons only for safety reasons! :fp:

Proper ties for me at schools at one point we used to take them off an learned how to crack them like a whip which leads to flicking people with them which leads to a ban on taking them off so understand why they are clip on ties now .

Proper ties for me at schools at one point we used to take them off an learned how to crack them like a whip which leads to flicking people with them which leads to a ban on taking them off so understand why they are clip on ties now .
We had a bit of a protest at school once. It was an all girls school and we weren't allowed to wear trousers so we flexed our teen muscles and wore our ties round our wrists in protest as a result we were put in detention were we plotted our revenge on the " man " but most of our comrades weren't allowed because their mams wouldn't let them so that was the end of the revolution.

At the local secondary school the kids including the girls had a fashion where 6 to 8 inches of tie was over the collar and the rest dangled well below the belt line ??My grandkids went to the school but all they tell me was " everyone do's it grandad !":confused2:

We had a bit of a protest at school once. It was an all girls school and we weren't allowed to wear trousers so we flexed our teen muscles and wore our ties round our wrists in protest as a result we were put in detention were we plotted our revenge on the " man " but most of our comrades weren't allowed because their mams wouldn't let them so that was the end of the revolution.
St Trinians all over again, I can just picture you Pearl :D :D

Back