Why Sepia?

theatrically_inclined

Dedicated Member
Barry's Christmas is on UKTV Gold today (yes... I know!!) ... :rolleyes:
As I mentioned in my video about "The Christmas Episodes", the episode starts and ends with a fade from / to sepia. There is also a brief burst of strings - sounding a bit ominous, or perhaps mimicking the sound of the wind - before the theme tune starts.
Why?
The additional strings create a slightly eerie or sinister atmosphere, that doesn't seem to fit the episode.
The sepia idea might have worked if, for example, we were going back in time, or starting the episode looking at an old sepia photo and then transitioning into the current period. This was well after the short-lived "First of the Summer Wine" prequel, so a "retrospective" could have been an interesting idea for a Christmas themed episode. But none of those applied.
What do you think...?

If I think out of the television box it may be marking the transition of the 80s into the 90s. A turbulent decade has now gone and a new bright dawn begins but in Summer Wine land the landscape remains timeless for all in this wonderful bubble encapsulated by Mr Clarke. This therefore acts as a reassurance that although things have changed in the outside world our heroes remain steadfast in their abilities to warm, amuse and pull on the heartstrings as necessary in the way they always have and ideally will.

If I think out of the television box it may be marking the transition of the 80s into the 90s. A turbulent decade has now gone and a new bright dawn begins but in Summer Wine land the landscape remains timeless for all in this wonderful bubble encapsulated by Mr Clarke. This therefore acts as a reassurance that although things have changed in the outside world our heroes remain steadfast in their abilities to warm, amuse and pull on the heartstrings as necessary in the way they always have and ideally will.
Oooh, that's deep!!

Back