Whom is whom?

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I have recently watched through the First Of The Summer Wine a couple of times and I would like some help with Ivy. NO, not that kind of help Dick. The whole gang are apparently about the same age, 18, in FOTSW.
In LOTSW, Ivy is obviously of a younger generation than the others. In FOTSW, there are two young ladies on the food counter at the CO-OP, one is called Dilys and the other one is called Ivy. I do not think that the Ivy in the FOTSW is the Ivy in LOTSW because of the obvious age gap. I also cannot imagine Roy Clarke using the name Ivy, twice. Has anyone any thoughts about whom is which and why? :confused:

Interesting. Not thought of that before. Guess I felt Ivy and Sid were somewhat a bit younger than the trio. Maybe thought Ivy and Dilys were slightly younger by a year or so if not near the same as the guys. Is it possible that all the years of chip fat frying steamy aroma with Sid had a youth making potential qualities on Ivy?

When you say younger generation are you meaning less then 5 years? More then ten?

I am a bit partial to the actress of Dilys who was also in the show Are you Being Served, Again? / Grace & Favor. I do like the name as well, was it popular in that time period?

Interesting. Not thought of that before. Guess I felt Ivy and Sid were somewhat a bit younger than the trio. Maybe thought Ivy and Dilys were slightly younger by a year or so if not near the same as the guys. Is it possible that all the years of chip fat frying steamy aroma with Sid had a youth making potential qualities on Ivy?

When you say younger generation are you meaning less then 5 years? More then ten?

I am a bit partial to the actress of Dilys who was also in the show Are you Being Served, Again? / Grace & Favor. I do like the name as well, was it popular in that time period?
I thought that the age difference was in the region of 15 years Rick. Dilys wasn't a regular name in this part of the country. I agree with you, Dilys was a very attractive young lady. :eyesroll::eyesroll:

Thanks on that. I have never been good at guessing ages. Tend to think everyone is about my age. Now that you say it about 15 does make more sense in reflecting how the cast ages over the years. Making the Ivy we see in FotSW probably not the Ivy we know in LotSW. It may be a stretch that Ivy would be named after her mom and that is her mom we see in FotSW. Odd that boys can be named after their dad's but girls don't usually get named after their mom's.

Ivy (as in Ivy of LOTSW) is supposed to be the age as Compo, Clegg, Sid, Nora, Wally etc, etc.

The actress Jane Freeman was quite a bit younger than the rest of the cast.

In the early series of LOTSW it was not specified how old she and Sid were, but as her friendship with Nora developed, it seems likely they were supposed to be around the same age.

As for Dilys and Sherbert, I have know idea who they are supposed to be.

The actor playing Sherbert plays it so much like Wesley it's amazing they are supposed to be different characters.

I sometimes wonder if there was some kind of equity rule about a young professional actor playing a younger character version played by an amateur part-time actor.

In LOTSW I think the trio were introduced to Wesley, but this kind of continuity is often overlooked.

I think the only reason they had Seymour in FOTSW, which seriously messed up the continuity, was because they were desperately trying to get viewers to accept Michael Aldridge in LOTSW after Brian Wilde left.

I can see Sherbert and Wesley being similar by the way they act. Potential cousins?

Thanks, Maggie. I think it is a pretty name. Not one that I remember having heard before the show.

I am glad that they did have some new people / characters in FotSW that we did not know. Kept things different and interesting from LotSW while still enjoying the main characters from the original.

Back