who would you have liked to see in summer wine

gremlin

Dedicated Member
I was watching a documentary today about the life of john le mesurier, i'm a great fan of that man's talents as an actor and wonder what sort of contribution he might have made to our programme...a brilliant man who's footloose and carefree attitude could have brought a lot. I know his talents stretched to serious roles but his crowning glory for me was dads army..more or less played himself, what a catch he might have been....does anyone else have thoughts on anyone who may have made a significant contribution ? :)

I dont think le mes would have fitted in to lotsw despite his many talents and I agree dads army was his one of his best roles. I think Bobby Ball would have been one of the best new recruits. His performances in the couple of episodes were brilliant a natural addition to the cast.

I keep on hearing about Dad's Army and Porridge plus all of the Carry On films, all of which have never made it across the Pond. When oh when will PBS wake up and smell the coffee?

I also don't think he would have been a fit for the early series, if only because of his accent. He tended to fit a posher, more Southern English upper class type role. Probably would have fit in later on when LOTSW had characters with mostly neutral accents.

Ronnie Barker could have done it as he showed in Open All Hours he had no difficulty doing accents, although he might have been too big a name. Could have done a guest spot.

Often thought that Graham Crowden from Waiting For God, could have played the tall third man quite well.

I also don't think he would have been a fit for the early series, if only because of his accent. He tended to fit a posher, more Southern English upper class type role. Probably would have fit in later on when LOTSW had characters with mostly neutral accents.

Ronnie Barker could have done it as he showed in Open All Hours he had no difficulty doing accents, although he might have been too big a name. Could have done a guest spot.

Often thought that Graham Crowden from Waiting For God, could have played the tall third man quite well.

Yes, I agree that he could have, but alas he has gone to the Big Playhouse in the sky.

I would have liked to have seen John Inman do maybe a one off just to see how how the trio would have acted around him.

I keep on hearing about Dad's Army and Porridge plus all of the Carry On films, all of which have never made it across the Pond. When oh when will PBS wake up and smell the coffee?

Dad's Army and Porridge were excellent and really hope you get a chance to see them but I was never a fan of the Carry On films.

Bobby Ball should have been kept in as he had a real funny way of carrying on ,and he was believable and good many stories could have been crafted around him.John Le Mes was not suited to a northern environment and his best comedy was Dads Army well in his comfort zone and idealy suited to play Wilson.Anybody know why Bobby Ball did not appear more often?

This is way out, time wise I know, but a cameo by Laurel and Hardy, would of been amazing. I can't even think of a story line where it would fit, I am sure Roy would of though.
That would of been good, or is it just me......

funny you should mention them minxie, of course there was a link between thm and the programme because stan laurel's daughter made a cameo appearance where she went into the café, saw nora was wearing the same hat and exited again rapidly :)

This is way out, time wise I know, but a cameo by Laurel and Hardy, would of been amazing. I can't even think of a story line where it would fit, I am sure Roy would of though.
That would of been good, or is it just me......

There are some references to Stan Laurel liking Yorkshire pudding, so that could have been a story line. Stan was born in Ulveston, so perhaps not a surprise that he liked English food. Laurel and Hardy did tours of the UK, even did Butlins in 1947. In LOTSW they could have been a travelling Vaudeville act in search of a secret Yorkshire pudding recipe.

I think Bobby Ball would have been one of the best new recruits. His performances in the couple of episodes were brilliant a natural addition to the cast.

Perhaps he wasn't available at the time to do more? I do agree that he would have been a good regular addition though. He was one of the few new characters introduced in the later years that I did like. There was just enough silliness about his character to suggest that he was a natural fit and he could have been a good fall guy for others. Pity also that Keith Clifford left when he did, as I also liked Billy. I mention him because I've sometimes wondered what a trio of Billy, Alvin and Lenny might have done. We will never know!

The main cast of "Keeping Up Appearances" and AS their characters! I know, I've said this for years, but I'm sticking with it because I think it could have been funny. Ever since I daydreamed that Norman Clegg and Richard Bucket or Compo and Onslow could be related! :D

Leo McKern would have been a fun guest also.

The trio could always have been on a day trip to Doncaster and popped into a corner shop to be served by Arkwright or his nephew Granville. Only snag is that nurse Gladys Emmanuel would have looked a bit like the Emanuelle of Getting Sam Home - Lily Bless 'er :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back