who was fiercer,Nora or Ivy?

I would normally say, Nora, but as Chuffer Enwright states, she had practice with Sid. Nora had practice with wally, however, I think of Sid as tougher to boss around.

Then again, what about Pearl. Now, she was tough.

I would normally say, Nora, but as Chuffer Enwright states, she had practice with Sid. Nora had practice with wally, however, I think of Sid as tougher to boss around.

Then again, what about Pearl. Now, she was tough.
You say Norah had practiced on Wally but as I said Ivy had practiced on Sid (remember the bus conductress) and she had become more physical at him. Hence the attacks with the "trays" . The number of times the guys stole out of the cafe while listening to sounds of battle from the back room!! As for Pearl she did not need to get physical, she had Howard in such fear he jumped every time she spoke!! :eek:

I like Ivy best, she has got some sort of humour at least and also genuine affection for Sid, I just like her better than the rest of them. Pearl I like least, there is almost nothing likeable about her, always hard as a rock.

I think physically Ivy, verbally Norah but if your talking facial expressions Pearl ;D

Ivy without a shadow of a doubt her treatment of sid was terrible but when he died she did show a softer side but she was still fierce with her custemers as well
I seem to recall a sence where Sid is sweeping up outside and Ivy is thowing cups
at him though the door and theres broken crockery everywhere and the man with the bike walks past him and says"morning Sid" like it was a common everyday thing that happens i cant for the life of me remember the episode

Ivy without a shadow of a doubt her treatment of sid was terrible but when he died she did show a softer side but she was still fierce with her custemers as well
I seem to recall a sence where Sid is sweeping up outside and Ivy is thowing cups
at him though the door and theres broken crockery everywhere and the man with the bike walks past him and says"morning Sid" like it was a common everyday thing that happens i cant for the life of me remember the episode

Mending Stuarts Leg

I would be inclined to say Ivy as Nora showed her softer side more often towards Compo and Wally.She worried about him(Wally) and went looking for him if he was missing for too long,let him keep a Whippet and similar things like that.Ivy was still a very likeable character and the comments about Noras hat and so on were very funny.
Pearl came across(at least to me) as more vindictive,sarcastic and derogatory but i tend to believe that she was more driven this way by the shennanigans and carryon of Howard.
Although Thora Hird was a great actress,i never ever warmed to the character of Edie.
I think one of the toughest battleaxes may be one that we didnt actually see much of(in the context of the whole show)and that dubious accolade ;D would possibly go to Sybil(Getting Sam Home).That woman was as cold as stone, as hard as nails and could put on a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.Her full CV is available to those who watch the programme ;) ;D

Hector

In the natural order of Battleaxe greatness, Ivy is on top of the tree, she could outdo Nora easily, it was always Nora who backed down when they had a row. Edie was up there with Nora I'd say and Pearl was just an apprentice by comparison....although she was ready to take over the mantle after a few years on the show.
Ivy and Nora were likeable characters, as was Edie to a slightly lesser extent. However Pearl had no redeeming qualities at all, not a single one and was a thoroughly dislikeable character. The only time she showed any warmth was on the day of Compos funeral when she took Cleggys arm, which was a lovely touch.
Ivy was the fiercest of all though and by a couple of lengths aswell. Nora was just a misery rather than really nasty. Ivy wasn't nasty per se, just she stood for even less messing than the others. Ivy was a central character to the show and it was an absolute crying shame that she wasn't in the final episode.

I am going to go against the grain and stick with Pearl as the toughest. To me she just had a natural tough streak. I recall one episode earlier in the Truly years and Howard had an accidental run in with a really big guy who chased him to his house and then Pearl stood up to him. Was it Variations on a Theme of Road Rage? I think Pearl is being overlooked when it comes to fierceness.

The Nora would be a close second and Ivy a close third. Chuffer Enwright mentioned Nora would back down in any row with Ivy but one must realized these ladies were only truly tough with men, not each other.

I also remember Nora in moments like bully guys on the street for coin donations for charity and in the nurse outfit bandaging men by force.

In the natural order of Battleaxe greatness, Ivy is on top of the tree, she could outdo Nora easily, it was always Nora who backed down when they had a row. Edie was up there with Nora I'd say and Pearl was just an apprentice by comparison....although she was ready to take over the mantle after a few years on the show.
Ivy and Nora were likeable characters, as was Edie to a slightly lesser extent. However Pearl had no redeeming qualities at all, not a single one and was a thoroughly dislikeable character. The only time she showed any warmth was on the day of Compos funeral when she took Cleggys arm, which was a lovely touch.
Ivy was the fiercest of all though and by a couple of lengths aswell. Nora was just a misery rather than really nasty. Ivy wasn't nasty per se, just she stood for even less messing than the others. Ivy was a central character to the show and it was an absolute crying shame that she wasn't in the final episode.

To me all were great characters. They are all great for comedy. We can enjoy them all since we are not married to them!!!!!

I think physically Ivy, verbally Norah but if your talking facial expressions Pearl ;D

I would tend to agree with this analysis although Norah was very rough with the yard broom and pouring water over people.

How would any of us act if we were in Pearl's posiiton with a straying spouse? What would you do to curb a partner who was for ever, dallying with some one else?

I would tend to agree with this analysis although Norah was very rough with the yard broom and pouring water over people.

How would any of us act if we were in Pearl's posiiton with a straying spouse? What would you do to curb a partner who was for ever, dallying with some one else?

Stop being such a vile, Prune faced old hag and then maybe he wouldn't be straying in the first place....

[.....

Stop being such a vile, Prune faced old hag and then maybe he wouldn't be straying in the first place....
[/quote]

But when she did smarten herself up Howard did not like it! But then it was not just appearance but the knowing that she knew every little detail about him that may have made it difficult (occasional comments about his ailments).

What we need is an inter-quel (if such a thing exists) that picks up the story in the 1950s after FOSW and they have returned from the war, when they are married, Seymour in his school, Foggy and Blamire in RASC, Clegg selling linoleum, Wally on the railway, Truely going to London with the CID and so on.

LOL, that´s right, blame it all on the wife ;D. Well, probably it would have been the right thing to just break up and not go on forever with the battle, there must something be very wrong with the relationship in the first place. I think they are both not behaving fair to each other and I can´t see anything that would make it reasonable to stay together for such a long time. It must be horrible!

Has once said by a very wise man "Yes but you had to make things last in those days"

In that era you just got on with it, especially up north. :)

Back