Where were you?

amos hames

Dedicated Member
There have been so many major news stories over the years such as the death of Diana or the assasination of Kennedy or the fall of the Berlin Wall and of course the attack on the twin towers in New York.Where were you at the time and how did you hear the news.I remember hearing about the murder of John Lennon i was in the post office in my home town withmy mum,I was seven years old at the time and the lady behind the counter was crying because she had just heard the news.I can still remember that to this day.

I was at home. I've been a Beatles fan since childhood, with Lennon being the chief man. I was chuffed he was back making music. My mother phoned me from work and said 'It's awful about John Lennon, isn't it?' I'll never forget. I hadn't put the telly or radio on so I hadn't heard. I thought, oh whats he done now? Cos before his househusband days he was always in the press for being chopsy about one thing or another. She said 'He's dead'. You know that moment in Brideshead where Charles says it was as if every radio in the world had been switched off and there was just still silence? My head felt like that.
One bloke on the telly said at the time 'I can believe anything of John Lennon, except that he's dead.'

I remember hearing about the death of Elvis, I was 13 and I came down stairs and my mam said " Eee Elvis just died" I said " Wow thought he died ages ago"

I also remember where I was when the Twin Towers went down, I was taking my mam home and it came on the radio, I just know that this was going to be huge and that the world would never be the same again.

I remember when John Kennedy passed on, British TV shut down all channels, except the news ones, in respect. I have often wondered if this would happen now. Probably not! Things are so different alas. I was on my way to a bowls tournament, when Diana's death was announced, and the Twin Towers, I was watching a daytime quiz show, after the advert break they announced that there was a disaster, the first tower had been damaged, and we stayed with it all of the rest of the day. So tragic.

I must have been at home when John Lennon died since I was only 8 months old, and the day was my mum´s birthday. All I can remember is the Twin Towers, I came home from uni and my grandfather who was already a bit confused then told me to switch the TV on, there was something going on. First I thought he was confusing something again, but then I did and saw the second tower collapse, I was in a bit of a shock. I was at home all alone, I remember that.

I can't really remember where i was when Kennedy or John Lennon died, although with Diana, i was in the studio when it was announced on the radio, i can remember probably Radio one, was playing chilled out music all day, no talking, just music, a very sad day indeed.
The Twin towers was a bit surreal for me, i had gone to the local van hire place to hire a van for a TV programme we were performing on in Cardiff the next day, we had to take our gear down with us.
When we went into the van hire office, the woman behind the counter was just staring at the TV on the wall, i don't think she even noticed us come in.
She had her hand over her mouth and tears streaming down her face, i looked at the TV as the second plane hit the tower and i seriously thought it was a film, a bit like the Towering inferno film from the 70's.
One of the other guys who worked there, came in and told her to go home, she was in shock it seemed to me.
Anyway, the guy sorted us out with the van, whilst explaining what had happened, i'll never forget that day!

G ; (

My wife and I were on our way to see our daughter in intensive care (she had meningitis but did recover)when we heard on the car radio about Diana.We were both stunned.The following day my mother in law passed away.
Funnily enough our daughter stairted to recover after her grandma died.

When Kennedy was shot I was walking through Hatfield town centre with my transistor radio on when the news broke,when Diana was injured and after died I was woken by a phone call from the states just saying turn the TV on,I think it was about 5am on maybe a Sunday morning,with the twin towers I had just walked into a friends house and on the TV they were showing the first plane crash into one of the towers,they described it at the time as a terrible accident,soon after the second plane hit and at the same time we said this is no accident.

Sunday August 31st 1997 is a date i will always remember woke up early as it eas my birthday and went downstairs and put the telly on,There was a man standing outside buckingham Palace doing a news report i didnt think anything of it untill i put on ceefax and it said in bold letters PRINCESS DIANA KILLED IN CAR CRASH.I had to double check then i jumped out of my chair and went to wake my mum with the news she has never got out of bed so quick.My first thought after the inital shock was for the two boys.Apart from the twin towers still the biggest shock of my life.

When elvis died, i was under the eiderdown with a radio on and a torch, listening to radio luxembourg, those were the days.
Hillsborough at home, I got up from a nap, cos my new baby was tiring me out.
Twin towers, again i was at home and got a phone call from him indoors, telling my to put the tv on.

Now that one was a shocker
London bombing, at work, just finished with a client and it came on the tv in the bar, again scary

I was watching the cycle racing from Spain when the twin towers were hit a day I have never forgotten.

I recall hearing the space shuttle Challenger disaster when i got home from school.I saw it on the six oclock news i was so shocked. :)

I was also under the eiderdown and listening to radio Luxemberg when Elvis died.I can still remember the DJ announcing every few minutes in a very solemn and sad voice that,The King is dead or The king of rock and roll is dead.

Hector.

I remember the twin towers. We were in work. My friend, Lynne, and I had taken some of our ladies and Gentlemen out for a trip on the bus. On our way back we put the radio on and heard the d.j. saying something about the north tower. We looked at each other a bit alarmed and I said it had to be an advert. A film coming out or something. We listened for a bit longer and she said, thats no advert. We switched off, so as not to upset our passengers, some of whom, by now, were asking about what they were hearing. We put it on again for the news. I phoned back to base and told them to put the telly on as the news on the radio was a bit frightening. When we got back everyone, staff and clients, were standing in absolute stunned silence, watching the t.v. I'll remember the silence, I think, for a long time.

I was only five when John Lennon died, I can remember asking my Dad why anyone would want to kill him, my Dad had difficulty in making me understand. Princess Di, I remember getting up early that day going into the living room and turning the telly on, the news was on and a picture of Diana was there, I had the telly on mute so didn't think anything of it. After spending 10 minutes checking the cricket news on ceefax I turned the picture back on with the same picture of DI but with 1960-1997 underneath, it was then I realised she had died and I went rushing to tell my Mum and Dad, very,very sad :'(

I was only five when John Lennon died, I can remember asking my Dad why anyone would want to kill him, my Dad had difficulty in making me understand. Princess Di, I remember getting up early that day going into the living room and turning the telly on, the news was on and a picture of Diana was there, I had the telly on mute so didn't think anything of it. After spending 10 minutes checking the cricket news on ceefax I turned the picture back on with the same picture of DI but with 1960-1997 underneath, it was then I realised she had died and I went rushing to tell my Mum and Dad, very,very sad :'(

Checking Cricket news on Ceefax.That was a great pastime in the 90s before i had the internet. :)

Back