Where were the children???

Kids didn't feature in Open All Hours or Keeping Up Appearances either

Yes they did, in an episode of keeping up appearances the postman bribes a young boy to deliver Mrs buckets mail. The episode where Onslow and Daisy's daughter was having her baby christened, we see her holding the child. And a young lad once was seen helping the milkman.

still surprised a woman wanted to be that close to Compo for Tom to be conceived ;D.Was Tom's mother Compo's wife then?

presumably Tom was conceived before she run off "with a chuffin' Pole" (to quote) which is why Compo would not ahve known about him (I am not sure if this comes out when Tom arrives).

I had always assumed that Compo's wife was indeed Tom's mother.

Can you really imagine Cleggy being anywhere likely to get past all the flanelette in bed to become a father?

I think the story was that he was wisked into marriage because he was polite at a chapel "do".

We have to look back at the episodes to check whether Compo was married or not. I have a feeling he was and as he was never a good bread winner she left him. But did she leave before Compo found out she was pregnant???

Perhaps she left Compo before even SHE knew she was pregnant...

LOL, sounds like Cleggy to get married because he was polite, I think in a very early episode he said once the woman had taken his arm he never got it back.

I agree with George, but maybe he didn't like them? The only appearance of children I've seen is in 'Extra, Extra!' where they sing with Compo about his wellies.

Children would have taken the essence of the programe away,the three lads okay they appeared as backgrounds to stories but its all about three retired blokes having fun.I think Clegg got married in a daze and didnt realy know it was happenning as for Compo he probably got married because his wife had a job and gave him betting money.Foggy would run a mile from a woman except Gillian behind the barracks!Blamire probably couldnt find a woman who met his ideals except the one he ran off to.Foggy did have a lady freind but it was never explained how he met her perhaps he met her by mistake at a drill hall on bayonet practise.

I have a feeling the Nora and Wally had children and that had grow and Left home. In one episode Nora says " I should go and see our Gladis s new baby" I was under the impression that was their daughter. I could be wrong.

Gladys could have been a niece. When a couple don't have children they tend to treat their siblings children as their own. But what you said is interesting, I never noticed that...

I have a feeling the Nora and Wally had children and that had grow and Left home. In one episode Nora says " I should go and see our Gladis s new baby" I was under the impression that was their daughter. I could be wrong.

However in one of the Summer Wine Chronicles it does indicate that they had not had chidren.

still surprised a woman wanted to be that close to Compo for Tom to be conceived ;D.Was Tom's mother Compo's wife then?

presumably Tom was conceived before she run off "with a chuffin' Pole" (to quote) which is why Compo would not ahve known about him (I am not sure if this comes out when Tom arrives).

I had always assumed that Compo's wife was indeed Tom's mother.
I am in agreement with you.

Another thing to consider about children is that they would be grown. Grown children tend to interfere with their parents activities and start telling their parents what to do. The exception to this is Glenda.

Glenda was never really one of my favourite characters. Poor Barry!!!!!

Another thing to consider about children is that they would be grown. Grown children tend to interfere with their parents activities and start telling their parents what to do. The exception to this is Glenda.
[/quote]

Glenda wouldn't dare tell Edie what to do! A show that comes to mind regarding the tension of the free will of the Seniors and the interfering by their children is Waiting for God. In Summer Wine's case, it would have shown grandchildren and even great grandchildren.

Back