When You Take A Good Bite Yorkshire Tastes Terrible

Stephen

I have just been watching this episode (for the umpteenth time) and I have come to the conclusion that this would have made a super feature length film. Has anyone else thought this? Even if the run time had been extended to fifty minutes it would have improved it.

I have no problem with the beginning or the ending of the episode, it's just the the middle part leaves me feeling slightly cheated: I just wish they'd visited the other two pubs; I just wish they'd have shown more of the rituals in between. Maybe they could've involved Wally at some point also. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

What do others think?

I have just been watching this episode (for the umpteenth time) and I have come to the conclusion that this would have made a super feature length film. Has anyone else thought this? Even if the run time had been extended to fifty minutes it would have improved it.

I have no problem with the beginning or the ending of the episode, it's just the the middle part leaves me feeling slightly cheated: I just wish they'd visited the other two pubs; I just wish they'd have shown more of the rituals in between. Maybe they could've involved Wally at some point also. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

What do others think?
I tasted it once Stephen when I was a kid, but in those days there were too many bombs around to make it taste nice. It tasted better with custard on, :)

I can imagine it would work well as a 50 minute episode but I just wonder how repetitive it would become. Maybe we can ask Roy to adapt it into a novel now there’s no way we’d be able to get a longer tv version without a new cast.

I can imagine it would work well as a 50 minute episode but I just wonder how repetitive it would become. Maybe we can ask Roy to adapt it into a novel now there’s no way we’d be able to get a longer tv version without a new cast.

Adapting it into a novel would also be a great idea, yes. I have always wondered whether Roy Clarke thought of extending it to fifty minutes but, due to production constraints, was unable to...

I don't think being repetative would have been a problem for a writer of Roy Clarke's quality, especially given some of the outstanding pub scenes he has written in the past.

Yep, another of my favorites as well. As you say, kinda wish they would have expanded on the theme of the episode also.

Greets and Welcome to the forums, @HowardBatty . :18:

I've commented on this before ! The more we "pick holes " and want to re-write storylines, are we taking a chance on removing any " magic" still left in the programme ??:confused2::eyesroll:

I've commented on this before ! The more we "pick holes " and want to re-write storylines, are we taking a chance on removing any " magic" still left in the programme ??:confused2::eyesroll:
Maybe a bit different in this case, if you've got a favourite episode, it's natural to want to expand on it.

A lot of Roy Clarke's early LOTSW scripts were so brilliant I'm sure he would have had enough ideas and ink in his pen to write more, but part of that problem would be trying to fill a mere 30 minute slot.

He did do three 'double episodes' around this time, once in Series 3, and twice in Series 5 - and these were very successful.

Maybe a few more double episodes would have made even better use of already great ideas.

Then again, sometimes less is more.

Either way, some great work by Roy Clarke over many years.

The episode for me that never was, was just after Alvin had appeared on the scene. Can you imagine him moving into that somewhat derelict house and meeting his new neighbour Nora. I think that the verbals in that situation would be limitless. :20:

Back