when Foggy stared blankly into space

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Was it ever established if he did this voluntarily to concentrate his mental faculties, or was it something random he couldn't control? Also, did he ever come out of his trances on his own, or did it always require Compo snapping his fingers to get Foggy's attention?

Foggy was Standing To Attention!! It's what you
did in the military ... any military. If you watched
Dad's Army, you would have heard Jonsey yell
TEN HUT!!

My interpretation is that it is a character trait of Foggy's. Many times, without warning he would just freeze and stare blankly and Clegg and Compo would make fun.

So I think this act is different from times he may have "stood to attention".

Foggy did this in his first few years but I don't recall him doing this in his second stint in the show.

I am wondering if this was part of the script or if Brian Wilde went off the script a little and the other characters worked around it as comedic actors sometimes do.

Foggy seemed to have different quirks unique to his 2 spells in the show.In his first stint he wore the regimental scarf and stared into space,and in his second spell he went on about the natives who worshipped him

Foggy never fails to make me laugh. Even reading above how Foggy would tell of the natives worshipping him made me chuckle again. Foggy was a really unique and funny character who was always fun to watch.

I thought it was hilarious how, in one episode, he contemplated living with the natives after the war, but couldn't because they didn't wear garments with creases in them! LOL!

Back