When does Clegg's Personality Change?

Kall

At which point do you think Clegg personality changes a bit? As in the 1st few series, he's a little bit more adventurous he ain't dragged along into doing stuff, he sometimes the one coming up with adventures for them to do like going camping in Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts and buying a car and driving it in the The New Mobile Trio. In that episode he doesn't seem reluctant to drive a car unlike in later series
Also in the first few series, he seems more confident with women as I believe he said a remark to Nora Batty in one episode, something witty, something he wouldn't do in the later shows and the list goes on and on. So when does he change into the timid, afraid of Marina/women, doesn't like driving character?
Is it when Foggy first comes as Foggy takes more of a charge than Blamire did? Or is it when Marina comes after he got stuck in a lift with her? Your thoughts on this?

I felt his personality didn't change much when Foggy first appeared in S3, I think it was more a steady evolution in his character over the years.

It starts to change when Marina enters the picture in Series 8 and evolves relatively quickly during the Seymour years, although there are episodes where he seems to revert to a more confident figure. Although I know that Clarke didn't really plan a lot of things out deeply, it does seem like we are supposed to think something happened between Clegg and Marina that changed him. From what I've read, the cast felt the early references were to the events of the play, events that were never put on film. Later, however, we are told about an event involving Clegg and Marina trapped in an elevator. So who knows.

I prefer the more confident, clever and even mischievous Cleggy the best. It does seem to be a slow progression away from that as the series carries on. Took some notes on my current unfinished watch through. Here are some snippets I have observed.

Series 1 - he casually, verbally spars with Nora and wants to get a car. Confident Cleggy.
Series 2 - Drives the Shiny Glow van well enough and tricks Mouse into buying drinks.

First noticed his changes started in about series 4 - he got a little whiny while kneeling to help Syd install the door buzzer wiring. He was also nervous of driving to Wales. Yet had no problem scaring a lady while he was Russian dancing and was very clever in Flower Power Cut.

Series 6 - he got whiny again when sold a metal detector from Douglas.
In the 1982 special The Funny Side of Christmas Clegg is more than timid around the 3 'orphans' that Compo brought by. This is first time I recall that we see him afraid of the ladies.
Series 7 - he was sneaky, clever in chatting with barmaid in Frozen Turkey Man. Drove Ludovic's van. Also drove Syd's van in Getting Sam Home, no probs being with Lily Bless Her or hugging Ivy at the end.

Series 8 - afraid to drive Welsey's Loxley Lozenge. Enter Howard, Pearl and Marina this season. Clegg is wimpy towards Marina in Wollenmills of the Mind.
Series 9 - full of youthful vigor in Yorkshire Tastes Terrible wanting to do a pub crawl, walking a gate, climb a tree in memory of Bill Henry.
Series 11 - wimpy around Marina and Mavis Poskitt.

Was clever in Sunray Major (12) and Ordeal by Trouser (14).

Series 17 - saw a fun, witty Cleggy.
Series 20 - he was boldly telling fibs to Pearl and the other ladies.

That's as far as I got so far. Probably more info than what ya wanted. :)

I always wondered what it was that put Clegg off driving. Was it buying the car from Walter and crashing into the tractor in the New Mobile Trio, or was it some other event that did it?

Great knowledge RickAns! The later Clegg would never have thrown a lad off the driving simulator like he did in the new mobile trio.

I've wondered about Clegg's dithering on driving at times too. If I recall correctly there was an episode he talked about having a car when married and him having issues with it. Saying he would put it in forward and it would go backwards - or something to that effect. I think Compo said he would keep the car polished for him. Then another time he would be actively wanting to get a car for them to get out more and explore.

I've wondered about Clegg's dithering on driving at times too. If I recall correctly there was an episode he talked about having a car when married and him having issues with it. Saying he would put it in forward and it would go backwards - or something to that effect. I think Compo said he would keep the car polished for him. Then another time he would be actively wanting to get a car for them to get out more and explore.

Think he mentioned that in the episode Edie and the Automobile.

The time when he drove (or was it Eli) into the hay in the barn, and of course Howard and Marina pop out. And then he drove the car onto the field, it was nice normal driving. No funny stuff, no gears popping out, no stalling; just plain ordinary driving. A relief not to see funny stuff.

In later years he doesn't even have his license anymore, but they also ignore that sometimes as well. The same is true of other characters. Billy and Truly are both seen driving in their first appearances, but neither can drive later.

As has been noted, there was a lack of consistency in some regards with the show over the years.

Back