Whats the worst thing you ever said or did?

C

Compo

Well the worst thing I ever said was "I do". Only joking!!! 36 years married so far. If that isn't brain washing nothing is.

Worse thing I ever did was when we emigrated to Canada. Never liked it but mostly the people which were very cold and unfriendly. I guess islanders are friendly and welcoming..

Hi Compo,

I noticed that there is a variety of British shows that mention Emigrating to Canada- I believe it was mentioned a couple of times in Summer Wine that in conversation, acquaintances of the characters emigrated to Canada. Harry the police officer from As Time Goes By was about to take a position in Canada, and I believe there are others that I can't think of.

What is the appeal about Brits emigrating to Canada? Just curious.

I have only spent one hours of my life in Canada and that is when I crossed into the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. I have worked with people from the more rural side of Western Canada, and they are nice, but my experience with Canada or Canadians other than that is limited.

Oh yes there are many Brit shows that mention emigrating to Canada. Even the show "Heartbeat". I believe that one of the many reasons is that Brits have many relatives over there. You know that these days you have to have a sponser and a job waiting for you to enter Canada.

But to me it just didn't appeal to me. Reason could be as I would have to be honest, is when we emigrated I was 12 years old and had my own set of friends already and liked the school I was in etc. So I lefty a lot behind me.

But the most important of all is that there is a lot of prejudice and I don't mean of people of different colour like in America. They are against Europeans and that is because they are jealous of them. Europeans are hard workers and in fact they built the country. The Canadian PM said so himself.

I was once told on a visit to Canada with the RN that Canadians are too well off to stay in Britain and not well off enough to live in America.
There is a strong French influence there that must put them at a disadvantage to start with!!
Geoff 8)

Yes there is a strong French influence in Canada but mostly in Quebec. For many and many years they have been trying to seperate from Canada and be part of France. But Canada will not let them go. First of all there is a lot of wood in Quebec which the country needs. This will never happen.

About being well off I don't know what the British situation is. But in Canada you can make a lot of money if you want, but to be rich you have to know how to look after it. Yes you can call it a rich country. When I left Canada to return here there was a big recission. People were losing their homes and all. A lot of suicides etc. Reason for all this is that as I said they were making lots of money. They bought houses and then nice cars and then they bought cottages up north for the summer. What is the use of having a cottage if you don't have a boat to do some fishing. See what I mean. It got out of hand.

On the other hand America is different. Now don't get me wrong but the Americans can make their money last longer as they take good care of it. Here in malta they have a bit of a bad reputation as being cheap. When you pass by an outdoor Cafe or restaurant you can always tell when the customers are from USA. They would buy a soft drink with two straws and share it. We saw the same thing happen in Florence, Italy.

On the other hand America is different. Now don't get me wrong but the Americans can make their money last longer as they take good care of it. Here in malta they have a bit of a bad reputation as being cheap. When you pass by an outdoor Cafe or restaurant you can always tell when the customers are from USA. They would buy a soft drink with two straws and share it. We saw the same thing happen in Florence, Italy.

Hahaha. It could be worse. We could ask for a glass of tap water, a few slices of free lemons and some packs free sugar and make ourselves a free lemonade. Only joking of course.

I tell you another funny one but true. We were in Buffallo, New York In a restaurant self serve. This man asked for a cup of hot water. The girl behind the counter gave it to him and he went to sit down. He then squeezed some ketchup in it and made instant tomato soup. Couldn't believe our eyes..

I tell you another funny one but true. We were in Buffallo, New York In a restaurant self serve. This man asked for a cup of hot water. The girl behind the counter gave it to him and he went to sit down. He then squeezed some ketchup in it and made instant tomato soup. Couldn't believe our eyes..

WOW!!!! That is extreme. My little joke about the tap water, lemons, and sugar is from Tracey Morgan in the movie First Sunday.

If I were to defend the fiscal actions of Americans in the UK it could only be a poor currency exchange rate.

I had three friends go to Italy on vacation, I couldn't make it. They ordered gellatos at a stand that didn't shows prices. My first two friends ordered fruit flavored gellatos and it cost them roughly 5 US Dollars. Then my other friend orders a pistachio gellato and it cost him 30 US Dollars!!!!!! So we are perhaps a little cautious with our money overseas at times.

Back