What's on the wall?

Roger

Dedicated Member
The card on the wall to the right of Ivy. Seen in a lot of the earlier episodes but not always in the same position. I've tried to enlarge it but it just gets blurry. Does anyone know what is on the card?

wall.png

Judging by the shapes I can make out I'd think they are badges of birds.
Maybe somebody else has a better idea?

There's 12 of them so I'm guessing it's the front page of a calendar, I'd also say birds to. So a bird calendar, and not the topless variety Sid would've preferred to have up in the cafe!!!!

What is the episode name and rough time it appears? I'll play around and see if I can enhance the image a bit.

What is the episode name and rough time it appears? I'll play around and see if I can enhance the image a bit.

It was from Earnshaw Strikes Again about 9 minutes from the start.

Here's another view from Jubilee at about 17 minutes but in a different position.

wall2.png

That picture is clearer, I'd have said snuff tins, they look like razor blades on the front of the (tins?)

Thanks Roger for the episodes. I was able to upscale the images to almost 4k but the wording is still too blurry for me to read. Will link post them on another site to here a bit later. In case others may be able to figure it out. Most seem like two parallel lines for the design. Maybe @Peripheral or someone local may remember what they are. In a sideways picture of Sid standing there they almost look like they could be cloth?

If anyone can find them in an alternative location, (IE. not the cafe, or not even Summer Wine) it may help to identify them.

I'm pretty sure the last word is snuff, although you cannot make out the lettering perfectly it seems to fit.

I think Barry may be on to something with the snuff tin idea. Wasn't there a machine(box) on the wall in the earlier episodes that turned out to be a tobacco dispenser for cigarettes? If they would sell cigarettes then why not snuff as well?

edit - searching back though threads, Emma says it was a Beech Nut Gum dispenser.

When you look at UK Snuff Manufacturers there are two main ones in Yorkshire Wilson and Co [Sharrow] Ltd based in Sheffield and Mee and Parvin from Selby in North Yorkshire . Sadly I can't find any design to match those on the card at the moment but here's is a sample of Wilson and Co's product . The Mee and Parvin brand examples are all in jars so of the two Wilson would be favourite however if the prop people resourced it near the studio rather than Holmfirth then it could be another brand.

snuff1.jpg

I seem to remember Snuff or similar from years ago. but that was in the barbers !:confused2: That was advertised on a similar chart ?
Could this be a depiction of cans of CHEWING TOBACCO? If not chewing tobacco, then it could be a favorite piece of kitsch of the set decorator or Jane Freeman.

Back