What is this building used for

That other building, on the A616, I don't recall ever seeing featured in any scenes. It was always the one just feet away from Clegg's house.

That other building, on the A616, I don't recall ever seeing featured in any scenes. It was always the one just feet away from Clegg's house.

Not really featured in a scene, but it's part of the backdrop in the background scenery. Like how Castle Hill, Emley Moor Transmitter tower and most of the reservoirs can be seen in the background. They're not part of the scene or dialogue going on, but you can see those landmarks in the background scenery because they stand out.

That reminds me of the situation with the Victoria Tower. This sometimes can be seen way off in the distance, and yet it was NEVER used as a close backdrop to a scene. I wonder if could have been due to the less-than-ideal vehicular access, or if it was some kind of policy of the BBC due to the legal actions that took place in connection with the doomed hotel scheme on the hill ?

When you say "Red Lion", I'm assuming you mean the "White Horse" in reality ?
The pub where a lot of the action has taken place ?
Is so then that building definately ISN'T the Red Lion.
I've been there three times and visited the pub and walked around the back.
If you look at the photo - You can SEE the roof of the Red Lion (White Horse) in the picture. It's directly below the front yard of Clegg and Howard's houses. The yard is actually HIGHER than the rooftop of the pub, and the building lies less than 50 feet from the top of those steps, which go down into the back garden of the pub.
The building you can see in that photo is way way up behind East Street, and much higher in elevation than the yard. It's around 300 yards away. Take another look at GoogleEarth.

It is definitely the red lion he is talking about,in certain shots from the front of Cleggy's house it can be seen,high up on the left of picture,see picture below

REDL.jpg

That is wild Terry! Thanks for posing the Ariel shot. The White Horse always appears to be in the middle of nowhere, and then to see it right by Clegg and Howard's houses is wild. I must visit and spend a good three days getting lost there!

Back