What is this building used for

chris

Dedicated Member
Noticed tonight in a shot looking out from Cleggs front door ,a four story building across the valley with a red sign on the front anyone know what its used for?

Noticed tonight in a shot looking out from Cleggs front door ,a four story building across the valley with a red sign on the front anyone know what its used for?

I can only Guess that it is the old cinema you can see

Have you got an image? Clegg did move, one view was across Holmfirth centre and the other would have been near the White Horse actually at Jackson Bridge. So was this an earlier episode or a later one?

Is it The Red Lion. A pub we stayed at once. That looked out across to Clegg and Howard.

The Red Lion backs onto the elevated road where Clegg and Howard live. It doesn't "Face" it.
It does have a red sign though out front, but you wouldn't be able to see it from Clegg's.
I've looked through the photos I took around there but can't see any other building with a red sign.

Off course it could be The Old Bridge Hotel as that has/had large red boards all over

It is sometime difficult to remember, but was the Old Bridge an hotel when Clegg and Howard lived above the church? When we first visited it was just a 'gentlemans residence'.

We stayed at The White Horse, some years ago. The bedroom were very nice, but the rest of the pub was a bit shabby. They seemed to feed the dogs in the bar, which I thought was a bit strange. The Old Bridge is fine. The best we ever stayed at was Dunford Bridge, just outside Holmfirth. It was called the Stanhope Arms and we went there for about four years running, then they stopped doing B&B so we had to find somewhere else.

We stayed at The White Horse, some years ago. The bedroom were very nice, but the rest of the pub was a bit shabby. They seemed to feed the dogs in the bar, which I thought was a bit strange. The Old Bridge is fine. The best we ever stayed at was Dunford Bridge, just outside Holmfirth. It was called the Stanhope Arms and we went there for about four years running, then they stopped doing B&B so we had to find somewhere else.

Stanhope arms closed a few years ago,used as a acting school and also used in the final episode

We always stay at The Springfield House B&B just across
the Huddersfield Road from The Postcard pub, within a short
walk of The Nook and The Old Bridge, and down the lane
from Compo's grave as well. Lots of great hiking and
many good pubs.

Stanhope arms closed a few years ago,used as a acting school and also used in the final episode

I am sad to hear that. They did a great Sunday Lunch

It looks like Ess was correct it is the back of the Red Lion it is a red sign almost at the top of the building at the rear

here's a screenshot from the episode that was on tonight (In Which Romance isn't Dead - Just Incompetant) showing the building. It is indeed the back of the Red Lion, you can check it out on Google Maps/street view

vlcsnap-00088.jpg

When you say "Red Lion", I'm assuming you mean the "White Horse" in reality ?
The pub where a lot of the action has taken place ?
Is so then that building definately ISN'T the Red Lion.
I've been there three times and visited the pub and walked around the back.
If you look at the photo - You can SEE the roof of the Red Lion (White Horse) in the picture. It's directly below the front yard of Clegg and Howard's houses. The yard is actually HIGHER than the rooftop of the pub, and the building lies less than 50 feet from the top of those steps, which go down into the back garden of the pub.
The building you can see in that photo is way way up behind East Street, and much higher in elevation than the yard. It's around 300 yards away. Take another look at GoogleEarth.

If you look at the photo - You can SEE the roof of the Red Lion (White Horse) in the picture. It's directly below the front yard of Clegg and Howard's houses. The yard is actually HIGHER than the rooftop of the pub, and the building lies less than 50 feet from the top of those steps, which go down into the back garden of the pub.
The building you can see in that photo is way way up behind East Street, and much higher in elevation than the yard. It's around 300 yards away. Take another look at GoogleEarth.

It is definitely the red lion he is talking about,in certain shots from the front of Cleggy's house it can be seen,high up on the left of picture,see picture below

REDL.jpg

I am truly sorry but I didn't understand that. I thought that the original question meant the building opposite Cleggies place, which is the Red Lion.

Back