What has happened to good old Fashioned

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Measurement?

It seems more and more these days during shows on TV, that measurement is described in one of the following, size of a football pitch, as big as so many aircraft carriers and for liquids it is Olympic swimming pools.

I watched a documentary the other evening and they said the volume of water used would fill four Olympic swimming pools, so I stop watching,search Google to find how much water a Olympic swimming pool uses, then go back to the programme, now if they had just said so many litres or Gallons (Google comes up with 550,000 imp gal each pool) it would of given me some idea

So next time I go to Toolstation I want a tape measure that is marked out in Football Pitch dimensions

Remember All Murrays rant about measurments? It's not small, medium or large, It's not kingsize or regular, IT'S A PINT!
Brilliant!

tell you what though guys, dont you find that tv programmes that avoid obscenities are so rare. everytime i turn the tv on its F this or F that....summer wine is glorious..you know when that music starts its there for gran and the youngest babs..and we all love it .

tell you what though guys, dont you find that tv programmes that avoid obscenities are so rare. everytime i turn the tv on its F this or F that....summer wine is glorious..you know when that music starts its there for gran and the youngest babs..and we all love it .

Have you tried 'Great Night Out' on ITV. Friday at 9.pm. We watched it expecting it to be full of the f word and people vomiting, but it is not too bad at all. The ocasional swear word, no worse than I have used myself in times of stress. It is about four lads, lifelong friends, who still meet up for a night out. A touch of Only Fools and Horses about it, I like it very much.

I was reminded last night of another TV measurement that I had forgotten, the London Bus, something like he jumped the distance of 14 London Buses, or it is higher than so many London Buses

I was reminded last night of another TV measurement that I had forgotten, the London Bus, something like he jumped the distance of 14 London Buses, or it is higher than so many London Buses

Yes, I realised that you had missed that one. And another is specifying height in terms of a number of Nelson's Columns. In a sense it begs the question, what is different about London buses? Would it be a different number of Manchester buses, or Glasgow buses. Mind, it does tend to emphasise just how centered on London is the BBC in particular. Up here I do have to advise folk strongly that the BBC portrays England very badly in that generally it is portraying a very small part of it, London.

Contrary to your earlier and original pitch, I am not sure they use aircraft carriers as a unit of measurement. It is more, surely that they specify the area of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier in terms of a number of football pitches or its length in terms of a number of London double-decker buses.

I was amused the other day when they used the Houses of Parliament as a measurement unit. To portray the size of the new aircraft carriers they created a facsimile of one docked in the Thames alongside.

I would suggest it is all part and parcel of the BBC in particular treating the viewing public as simpletons who have no idea about just how long a mile or some such is.

And I think it has adverse effects. I can recall growing up having no real concept of how large an area is an acre. After really putting my mind to it I realised that an acre is around the same as, (or just less than) a football pitch.

BUT, that is really wrong way around thinking brought about by the media treating us as simpletons. How our minds should be working is the think that the area of the standard football pitch is just more than an acre. (And if one wants to think in that horrible new dimension, the area of two football pitches is just over three quarters of a hectare).

Yes, I realised that you had missed that one. And another is specifying height in terms of a number of Nelson's Columns. In a sense it begs the question, what is different about London buses? Would it be a different number of Manchester buses, or Glasgow buses. Mind, it does tend to emphasise just how centered on London is the BBC in particular. Up here I do have to advise folk strongly that the BBC portrays England very badly in that generally it is portraying a very small part of it, London.

Contrary to your earlier and original pitch, I am not sure they use aircraft carriers as a unit of measurement. It is more, surely that they specify the area of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier in terms of a number of football pitches or its length in terms of a number of London double-decker buses.

I was amused the other day when they used the Houses of Parliament as a measurement unit. To portray the size of the new aircraft carriers they created a facsimile of one docked in the Thames alongside.

I would suggest it is all part and parcel of the BBC in particular treating the viewing public as simpletons who have no idea about just how long a mile or some such is.

And I think it has adverse effects. I can recall growing up having no real concept of how large an area is an acre. After really putting my mind to it I realised that an acre is around the same as, (or just less than) a football pitch.

BUT, that is really wrong way around thinking brought about by the media treating us as simpletons. How our minds should be working is the think that the area of the standard football pitch is just more than an acre. (And if one wants to think in that horrible new dimension, the area of two football pitches is just over three quarters of a hectare).

So does someone know the size of the aircraft carrier then find something else to compare it with,rather than just say it is some many yards (Old School) or Metres it is,thanks for reminding me re Nelsons Columns used as a measurement,I expect the new one will be the weight of 2000 Asda ready meals or the length of 5000 ipads

So does someone know the size of the aircraft carrier then find something else to compare it with,rather than just say it is some many yards (Old School) or Metres it is,thanks for reminding me re Nelsons Columns used as a measurement,I expect the new one will be the weight of 2000 Asda ready meals or the length of 5000 ipads

Not sure of your point but I find all the dimensions given in the following totally adequate to comprehend the size of the beast without reference to football fields or any other non-related parameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier

To me only useful comparisons might be:
Three times the size of the last Ark Royal.
Three times the size of the World War II Ark Royal.
One and a half times the size of the famous Ark Royal.

Largest warships ever built for the Royal Navy says quite a lot.

Which London 'bus?

The London transport vehicles (AEC Regent or RT model the precursor to the famed Routemaster or RM) I rode on in my youth were 27' 6" long and 7' 6" wide and 14' 6" tall - it said so on the inside of the driver's cab which you could sit behind and look into if he had not dropped the blind Which was done during night time) but I am told that modern ones are longer, wider and not as tall!

Back