What do you call a round bread roll?

Marianna

Dedicated Member

I've read that in Nuneaton and environs it's called a "batch". Now I know what current and former residents mean when they write on the Nuneaton Local and Family History Facebook page about a few of the old shops, "I used to buy really tasty batch there after school".

This question is for Pearl: Does that name cross the county line to travel as far east of Nuneaton so that you hear it in your region?

One of my ancestral families emigrated from Nuneaton in 1637, to settle in Charlestown, Massachusetts. My ancestor was a baker, so when he arrived in Charlestown he bought a property with a rock that had eroded in a shape that made is usable as an oven, so he was back in business. I doubt that he was baking anything as sophisticated as batch, though.

I've read that in Nuneaton and environs it's called a "batch". Now I know what current and former residents mean when they write on the Nuneaton Local and Family History Facebook page about a few of the old shops, "I used to buy really tasty batch there after school".

This question is for Pearl: Does that name cross the county line to travel as far east of Nuneaton so that you hear it in your region?

One of my ancestral families emigrated from Nuneaton in 1637, to settle in Charlestown, Massachusetts. My ancestor was a baker, so when he arrived in Charlestown he bought a property with a rock that had eroded in a shape that made is usable as an oven, so he was back in business. I doubt that he was baking anything as sophisticated as batch, though.
Forgive me Marianna & Pearl for jumping in you your thread.

I've always known them as baps growing up in Cheshire, but when I go out with my friends who're from Coventry (next town to Nuneaton) they always refer to them as batches. I found it very odd when I first heard them as I'd never heard the term myself before. Interestingly its a term most commonly used when they're selling these behind the pub in bars in my experience.

As a matter of interest what do you call them in the US would it be buns?

You can literally go to the next village over in any part of this country and everything is called something different. Ask people what they call the bits of batter you get on your chips in chip shops, I'll tell you they're called scratchings but someone else will call them something different and don't get us started on the ends of a loaf of bread, they're called crusts but in some places thems fighting words. This country is so diverse its unreal.

I've always known them as baps growing up in Cheshire, but when I go out with my friends who're from Coventry (next town to Nuneaton) they always refer to them as batches. I found it very odd when I first heard them as I'd never heard the term myself before. Interestingly its a term most commonly used when they're selling these behind the pub in bars in my experience.

In my region of the US (south central upstate New York), we call them rolls, except when they're meant to hold a hot dog or a hamburger. Then we call them buns.

You can literally go to the next village over in any part of this country and everything is called something different. Ask people what they call the bits of batter you get on your chips in chip shops, I'll tell you they're called scratchings but someone else will call them something different and don't get us started on the ends of a loaf of bread, they're called crusts but in some places thems fighting words. This country is so diverse its unreal.
Here, the end of a loaf of bread that was baked in a bread pan is called a crust. The end of a cottage loaf or of Italian bread is called the heel.

Since we lack chippies, we have no source of scratchings, which I like a whole lot better than the fish.

Binlid was my favoured mot de preference when it came to the overstuffed Turkey or Beef salad ones that were worth saving your lunch money for if you haven't blown it on more than one 'mixed bag of mishapes' sweets.

To me a bread roll is long like what you would have for a hot dog. Whereas a bun is short and round as in a hamburger bun. But I see sometimes in the shops that a bun is labeled as a bread roll.

A bun is cakelike and square.. Hot cross buns have a cross on each one in white icing and are usually available around Easter.

Back