What did we all think

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
So series 30 is over,what was our honest opinions,I did not think the new trio worked and some of the scenes with the new Man Russ (Hobbo) dragged on to the point of being boring at times,there was the occasional glimpse of how good Hobbo could be,at times if it had not been for some of the regular cast popping up I could of switched off

Who would you like to see as the main trio,what other Actors would fit into the show,not that the budget would allow it but how about David Jason or Stephen Fry

Poor Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton reduced to the odd few minutes per episode

David Jason may well fit in, but to be honest, aren't Cleggie and Frank Thornton getting too old? They are if I am correct over 85, I don't think they can go on for ever, and I thought already during the last episodes that Frank Thornton was not looking very well, not that he looked to be not well, but around his eyes e.g., he as well as Peter Sallis must feel very tired after the filming of each episode, and I don't think they want to go on like Thora Hird during the last years of her career. It feels a bit selfish to ask them to go on and on, don't you (all LOTSW lovers) think so as well?
Marianne Smits-Jansen
ma.smits@hetnet.nl

There is a news item in the Huddersfield Examiner, saying "Last of the Summer Wine back on TV screens with six new episodes commissioned by the BBC. Filming will take place this summer in and around Holmfirth with the episodes screened in 2010.
Well, better look up this item in the Huddersfield Examiner to make sure that I am right! I was too early with my previous e-mail on this website today!
Marianne

I think that the show has probably been saved because of Russ Abbot and Brian Murphy. Russ Abbot's character of 'Hobbo' has a lot of potential and the next series I'm sure we will see this even more. Brian Murphy's 'Alvin' has had some wonderful lines this last series too. I am a huge fan of the show but there is no point in harping back to the days of 'Foggy' and 'Compo', they are long gone so lets just enjoy it for what it is. It's like watching 'Coronation Street' today and complaining because 'Ena Sharples' and 'Hilda Ogden' are no longer in the show! I admire the acting talent of both Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton but, unfortunately, because of their age their scenes were slowing the show down in previous years. I think with the addition of the brilliant Trevor Bannister and the fabulous Sheila Young as Nora's sister, the show now has a stelllar cast and, thankfully, the powers that be at the BBC also seem to think so.

After a slow start I personally thought the series got better and better.I think Alvin and Entwistle will fit in with any third man just as Compo and Clegg did .Love him or not Russ Abbott had some shoes to fill and I don't think he did too badly.Morton and Toby grew on me as the series progressed and I love the Pearl and Nelly double act.

Well, I´m very glad the show is going on. But, to be honest, I probably wouldn´t watch it any longer if it wasn´t for Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton. I can´t imagine LOTSW without them, especially without Cleggy, and I know Peter Sallis loves the show and doesn´t want to see it end, and I hope wholeheartedly he won´t.
Marianne, I see your point, but it´s apparently just the opposite - we get the impression they can´t do more because they are old, but it´s the other way round, because they are old the BBC doesn´t let them do more! Have you seen the first episode this year of Kingdom, filmed last year? It´s also on Youtube. Peter Sallis had a guest part in it, quite a big one, and it was almost only outdoor scenes, he was walking around (even with a horse at one point), working with a garden hoe and things like that, I couldn´t believe it, I felt like the BBC was having us on! And I´ve seen Sallis doing his show in March, and after more than 1,5 hours of talking he still had energy enough to come and talk to me.
June Whitfield was right when she accused the BBC of ageism, this is my opinion. Funny, she also had a part in that Kingdom episode and had one line that fitted the situation with the BBC pretty well.
But back to LOTSW itself. I don´t quite know how to put it, but what bothers me is that in the earlier days it was mostly the trio who were a bit "barmy" and did crazy things and it was great that way, but nowadays it feels like all of them are barmy now and Cleggy and Truly the most sensible ones. It´s a bit too much "barminess" to my taste by now, but it´s okay, I want to see this show alive, not axed, never mind how crazy it is, as long as Peter Sallis wants to do it. This is a rather limited point of view, but I can´t help it ;).
Stephen Fry, yes, I didn´t know him before I watched that Kingdom episode, but I like him very much now! And David Jason! He starred with Peter Sallis in The Wind in the Willows in the 80´s, they voiced Ratty (Sallis) and Toad (Jason) and it is great, I love this show as much as LOTSW and got to know it a few days before LOTSW (I´m such a newbie, know both since last October). I´d love to see David Jason in it! Very good idea, Terry!
Hm, didn´t I read somewhere that they wanted to ask Jason for Clegg´s part if Peter Sallis had rejected it? I think so. Anyway, I´d love to see these two together, and Stephen Fry as well.

Every time there has been a change of personnel, when Foggy first came, when Seymour arrived, Foggy returned, Truly came there always seems to be an awkwardness about the transition from one acceptable threesome to a new line up. By the time we get the second series it seems as if the new character has rounded out and developed and some quirks disappear.

I think the series got better although it does seem that Truly and Cleggy were more involved in the latter epsidoes and more integrated than in the early ones where I think they were never seen with any other characters.

Every time there has been a change of personnel, when Foggy first came, when Seymour arrived, Foggy returned, Truly came there always seems to be an awkwardness about the transition from one acceptable threesome to a new line up. By the time we get the second series it seems as if the new character has rounded out and developed and some quirks disappear.

I see that with Seymour, though I loved his first normal episode "Heavily Reinforced Bottom". I'm not sure if it is because I watched series 29 and this past series, plus the episode "The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg", but I haven't had a feeling of dislike for Truly. It might be because I'm used to his character somewhat, but "There Goes The Groom" and "Beware of the Oglethorpe" have been great episodes. Loved it when he and Compo argued about how many legs a Centipede had. I've only viewed the first episode of Series 19 so we'll see.

Thinking about it, I feel it does have something to do with whether you're used to the character or not. When I first saw LotSW, it was a series into Foggy's run. Then they showed "Heavily Reinforced Bottom" in between for some reason. So when I got the DVD that has a partial collection of the Blaimire episodes and wathced them, I thought Blaimire was just okay. Still, the series was still new and it also takes a tv show a while to get its legs and running too.

I agree with Barmpot, in as much as the transitional period for a new member of cast does take a while for both the viewer and indeed the actor, to become "comfortable" within the series.
For example, the first appearance of Pearl shows her accent as quite sharp and jittery, as can be seen in the cafe` scene with Nora and Ivy in "Catching Digbies Donkey".
The transition of her character in the following episodes, sees her gradually become more chilled as the "all knowing" Pearl we have come to love, what a brilliant double act Howard and Pearl have become.
It also took Tom a couple of episodes to "settle" into his role, which seemed to coincide with the departure of Mrs Avery.
I personally feel that the introduction of Hobbo was an excellent move, Russ Abott has been a well loved and respected comedian for many years and i think he adds a slight influence of Foggy into his role, "my team" is a typical Foggy statement imo, so credit to Roy Clarke for slipping that influence into Hobbo's character.
It always gives me a warm feeling to know that Roy Clarke always seems to have the influences of past (deceased?) cast members swirling around in later episodes, as though he wants to keep the spirit of those members within the "family", as it were.
As has been mentioned on this forum, nothing lasts forever, so lets enjoy the rest of Summer Wine whilst we still can.

G : ) :)

So series 30 is over,what was our honest opinions,I did not think the new trio worked and some of the scenes with the new Man Russ (Hobbo) dragged on to the point of being boring at times,there was the occasional glimpse of how good Hobbo could be,at times if it had not been for some of the regular cast popping up I could of switched off

Who would you like to see as the main trio,what other Actors would fit into the show,not that the budget would allow it but how about David Jason or Stephen Fry

Poor Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton reduced to the odd few minutes per episode

I know this goes back a bit, but I agree with almost every word you typed!

I wanted, I WANTED to be open, to like the new set up of the show, but I can't. There is more then a formula, more then just "Lets put three actors together and have them do this or that," It catching lightening in a bottle, so to speak. In my opinion, Bill Owen and Peter Sallis were the heart and pluse of the show, and each third man who came in added his special qualites to them, Birian Wilde being best. We lost Bill Owen, but still had Sallis and Frank Thronton, and it gave you at least an echo of what the show was when it was in its prime. Now they are reduced, demoted. The heart is gone, and the pluse has slowed. I only watch and enjoy Sallis and Thornton, and the bits of Cooper and Walsh. I wish I could feel more hopeful for this next series, and I hate to admite, but the best of Summer Wine now are mere droplets. :(

It's an interesting thought, who would be a better in a new trio? I wish the Billy character was back, but not sure what actors I could imagine. I think the only people that I just wish they wouldn't have in the trio is Brian Murphy, he dosen't do anything for me and Burt Kwouk, though as much as I have loved him on the show in the past, he can't play a lead. That's not saying there is anything wrong with him, I like him, but where he was.
I think Stephen Fry would be a very interesting idea, I always wondered about Clive Swift myself, and David Jason, yes, he might be quiet good!

Seriously, though I'd be okay if they just never had a "new" trio. If it became what I think it is becoming anyway, about a town, then things might be better off. Let Cleggy carry the orginal greatness of the show with him, and let the trios rest in piece.

Back