What bus was this then?

Great idea, looks like the one they jumped off in Whoops.

It was not the bus in Whoops,this is a later bus,the reg number is PUA 299W so came into service around 1981,I cannot recall the episode,the one where Nora is waiting for a bus and Compo is standing behind her,in fact Compo was not waiting for the bus just a chance to grab a kiss

It was not the bus in Whoops,this is a later bus,the reg number is PUA 299W so came into service around 1981,I cannot recall the episode,the one where Nora is waiting for a bus and Compo is standing behind her,in fact Compo was not waiting for the bus just a chance to grab a kiss

or maybe in the episode with Foggy's bleeper. . . but we don't really see the outside do we?

Not sure to which photo you refer, but it is possible to PAUSE the video.

Did this bus play a significant part?

thx Big Unc, I paused it . . it made me think of Edie and Wesley going to Huddersfield to shop.

The bus is in the episode The Defeat of the Stoneworm. On the YouTube version I was watching the counter was about 8:30 when it first comes in to view. You can see it coming down the road and then a close up when Nora gets on the bus.

There is also a nice picture of the bus/café on their website: www.doubledeckercafe.co.uk

Last edited:
Think that this was an ex Huddersfield corp bus and was in a few episodes,it pains me to see it converted into a café it should still be running and appearing at bus rallies.Surprising it slip through the bus preservation net will do a request to Classic Bus and see what happened.:20:

Just had more thaughts it had what is called a an Atlantean a popular bus throughout the UK the bus that Eli got off outside the opticians was probably a Leyland or Guy with an open rear platform.

Certainly looks like a Leyland Atlantean to me.

It occurs to me that it unlikely BBC would have been able to film a routine service run. The bus was presumably hired for filming. Note that it was a 'special' with red regalia compared with the standard green so happen the bus company made a point of hiring out that bus particularly.

Certainly looks like a Leyland Atlantean to me.

It occurs to me that it unlikely BBC would have been able to film a routine service run. The bus was presumably hired for filming. Note that it was a 'special' with red regalia compared with the standard green so happen the bus company made a point of hiring out that bus particularly.

I would agree - one of the buses used for filming was the one painted up in old Huddersfield livery to commemorate 100 years of Huddersfield public transport - could have been this one.

The one they used in Whoops was a special as it had a rear entry open platform and most would have been withdrawn from the West Yorkshire fleet by then, although plenty exist in preservation. About 30 half a mile from me in Keighley Bus Museum.

Think that this was an ex Huddersfield corp bus and was in a few episodes,it pains me to see it converted into a café it should still be running and appearing at bus rallies.Surprising it slip through the bus preservation net will do a request to Classic Bus and see what happened.:20:

I think quite a few of these have been preserved but a lot do slip through.

Some 15 years ago there was an old tram body in a field up on the road alongside Ilkley Moor slowly decaying: I wrote to local newspaper asking whether anyone had considered preserving it but was told that other examples were preserved so this one was not needed. It was complete with glass in all windows and reasonably complete but obviously no chassis as in use as a "hut".

Many "huts" in fields locally are former railway vans which only now after some 50 years of neglect are beginning to actually start to fall apart. And many are five or more miles from any railway line so a lot of work to move them there.

ah, okay . . . what about the one in Whoops?

CCX 777 a Daimler CWA6 with Duple lowbridge body, 55 seater built to utility standards in 1945.

By the time Whoops was filmed it would have been withdrawn from regular service and is seen in the old Huddersfield colours which disappeared about 1975 when Yorkshire Rider green and cream came in.

As an open platform rear entry it would probably have been withdrawn sometime in the 1960s I should guess. So it was then a preserved bus as I do not think there were any open platform buses in public service in Yorkshire by then (apart from the Routemasters operated by Black Prince of Morley although they did not start operation until the 1980s). But the script wanted an old style bus.

This particular bus is now painted in London Transport livery as it was similar to a number of LT buses that have all been scrapped.

Last edited:
Back