What age is Jane?

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering does anyone know what age Jane Freeman is? It's not disclosed on Wiki or IMBd. Also some sites refer to her being Welsh and others say she was born in London.

Just wondering does anyone know what age Jane Freeman is? It's not disclosed on Wiki or IMBd. Also some sites refer to her being Welsh and others say she was born in London.

March 15th 1921 that makes her 93. I think:confused: Oh and Welsh as far as I can find out.

Last edited:
What makes you think she was born in 1921?

Never been able to find her age, but assumed she was a bit younger than that.

well to me Jane looked 40 max when the show started so if she was she would 80/81 now, but that's just a guess by me

We have asked this before and 1921 was mentioned then, or 1931.

With make-up and good camera work people can appear different ages than you might think ....

I guess she must like to keep personal details such as that private.

I knew one radio presenter who was fanatical about anyone knowing his age: but he was only a few years older than me so I was never sure what the problem was!

I had just googled this question earlier in the week. 1921 was the answer, but no reference to the source. I believe that is important. So if it is true that would put her up there with Peter Sallis at 93.

Well whether she is 92 0r 93 she still looks good for that age. Today I was reading that this past week was Doris Day 92 birthday and she also is doing well..

well to me Jane looked 40 max when the show started so if she was she would 80/81 now, but that's just a guess by me
I agree. Jane always appeared to be approximately Kathy Staff's age......which would put her in her early to mid 80's. But that is just a guess.

Not sure if Jane Freeman was her birth name, but the England & Wales Birth Index lists a Jane Freeman born Jan/Feb/Mar 1921 in Pontypridd Monmouthshire (Wales). Mother's family name was Evans.

Jane Freeman

Jane was born in Cefn Coed y Cymmer, Merthyr Tydfil and went to Vaynor and Penderyn School, a school she attended later on in her life for the prize giving evenings. Her father was Martin Evans, a very successful solicitor in the Town. There is a solicitors building named after him in Merthyr Tydfil.

Here is a link to a history site, with a photo of Jane as Lady Bracknell in 'The Importance of Being Earnest' in 1951.

http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/vaynorandpenderyn_1950s.htm

I would guess Jane was born circa 1933, as she looks about 18 in this photo.

... the England & Wales Birth Index lists a Jane Freeman born Jan/Feb/Mar 1921 in Pontypridd Monmouthshire (Wales).

Other sources state that she's Welsh and that she attended school in Merthyr Tydfil, only about 13 miles from Pontypridd, so that birth date seems to be a likely match. I haven't seen any information on whether or not Jane Freeman is her birth name, but I certainly haven't exhausted all of the sources.

Here is a link to a history site, with a photo of Jane as Lady Bracknell in 'The Importance of Being Earnest' in 1951.

What an interesting web site!

So Freeman is probably her married name? She's kept her private life amazingly private for a profession that's so very public.

Back