Well, I didn't know that.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
.LANGUAGE PROBLEM...
My Gert and I, being from different sides of the pond, occasionally use different words for the same object. At dinnertime today, I fancied a bun after my meal. I told her I wanted a bun and what followed was enough to precipitate the third World War. She seemed not to understand what a bun was and offered me a variety of pills. I got very frustrated and yelled, " I want a bun."
"What's a bun,?"
she yelled back. The veins in my temples were pounding fit to burst. She has lived here for 22 years and to say that she doesn't know what a bun is seemed so incomprehensible. She likes to watch Summer Wine and I reminded her of the times she had seen the Boys go into the cafe and ask for sticky buns. "Sticky buns" she yelled, "Sticky buns".
In desperation I logged into Google with the intention of showing her the word 'bun'. At this point we come to the 'WELL, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT part of the story. I typed in the word bun and what came up made my eyes stick out like organ stops. I got a photo of a large restaurant called the ......The Bun and Peri Restaurant. I was gob smacked, twice.... Once from Google and once from her across the pond:frown2:. .... Look it up on Google. Do we have any members who know of this restaurant? .......Peri........

Chicken shop in Birmingham by the look of it Peri . Although it shares your name Peri I wouldn't be crowing about it :fp: . It'll be Chobbling food but hardly Bostin Fittle. Some of your posts are Avante Garde but I don't think you are totally Yampy. :)

Sorry for your tribulations Peri. Over here the word bun, depending on where you are in the country, is going to be a dinner bun, more commonly called a dinner roll. A bun most often refers to that ball of hair many women wear on top of their heads. A dinner bun or roll is a little like a bap I think but yeasty, like a little ball of fluffy bread intended to sop up gravy. You might try the term sweet roll, which would usually get you a danish or a cinnamon roll (Chelsea bun) here.

I thought you were going to say you were brought a breadcake Peri,as I have heard those foolishly called buns before,your good lady needs a visit to Sid’s cafe for educational purposes where she has to order two sticky BUNS.

I had to look up "breadcake", that is a hamburger bun! Certainly not a rewarding thing to receive for one's evening pudding, but not unlike what one might encounter as a dinner roll in the states.

I had to look up "breadcake", that is a hamburger bun! Certainly not a rewarding thing to receive for one's evening pudding, but not unlike what one might encounter as a dinner roll in the states.
There’s only one word round these parts Eithne for a roll,or a bap,or a bun,or whatever else anyone wants to call them,and that’s a breadcake,and I’m sure Compo and everyone else round here would agree.

There’s only one word round these parts Eithne for a roll,or a bap,or a bun,or whatever else anyone wants to call them,and that’s a breadcake,and I’m sure Compo and everyone else round here would agree.

In the North though Chuffer, particularly the county which Clegg treat with disdain , they are often referred to as Barms short for Barm cakes . True Geordie's wouldn't touch a bap/roll/bun with a barge pole its Stottie cake or nowt if you want a sandwich :)

In the North though Chuffer, particularly the county which Clegg treat with disdain , they are often referred to as Barms short for Barm cakes . True Geordie's wouldn't touch a bap/roll/bun with a barge pole its Stottie cake or nowt if you want a sandwich :)
Well I’v never heard of a stottie cake captain,I bought a packet of bread cakes yesterday,everyone calls them that,and out of interest went to look what it said on the packet,I couldn’t believe my eyes,,it said FOUR WHITE BARM CAKES !
We don’t eat such a thing round here,wanting to know where these barm cakes were made and on scrutinising the packet saw that they were made in Oldham !
We don’t want any of that Lancashire nonsense round these parts,from now on I will check the packets carefully and buy only Yorkshire breadcakes !
I’m as outraged as when I asked for a sticky bun at Sid’s cafe and got served a block of rocky road

Chuffer...talking of all things in "bread land" what about our scruffy hero........probably the greatest ever gift given by the love of his life......." A BACON SARNY !!!!!!".......after consumption [and putting the plate back on Nora's step] he seemed to go all "Rudolf Nureyev" outside the cafe !!!!
x!

Haha yes MoodyBlue,yes you can’t beat a bacon sarnie,
The question is though,do you put brown sauce on ?
Or butter ?
Do you realise I’m seriously now going to check the packets of every single packet of breadcakes I ever buy again,and will only buy them if they say breadcakes.
I think if those people from the place we don’t like to mention want to continue exporting their products to Yorkshire they must make special packaging and stop the barm cake nonsense.

Chuffer.....I have NEVER heard of a "bread cake"...you Yorkshire folk with your quaint customs !!!!!!!....here in "Scouseland" we have...BREAD......and we have CAKES...but we don not have " BREADCAKES".........You need to get across the pennines and I will re educate you !!!!.
X!

Hahaha (I can never get the laughing or other emoji’s on the page)
Moodyblue,I’m isolating for the next three days,but after that I will make a special trip to the corner shop to buy a packet of breadcakes and put a photo of the packet on here.
If you asked for rolls or barm cakes or buns they would look at you as if you were mad,and I have no idea what a stottie cake is.
It’s breadcakes,that’s all it will ever be.
Chuffer x

I have a recipe for stotty cake but I haven’t tried it yet. As I understand in the days of communal ovens they went in last as the oven cooled and gave it a heavier texture.
The real reason for my outcry was that when I looked up breadcake, not having heard the term before, the pale, mass produced result bore absolutely no resemblance to any of the lovely homemade style delights our Ivy would have been proud to stack upon her counter.

I think traditional cuisine is sadly slipping away, everything comes in a packet or a can. From what I understand Macsween has come up with Vegan haggis now. I read that due to leaving the EU there is more dependance on more traditional root vegetables but none of the younger set know how to cook them.
It’s no better here. I went in and bought a bunch of radishes. The checkout girl studied them and very seriously turned to me and asked, “Are these beets?”

I've never heard breadcakes mentioned in LOTSW. In 'Where There's Smoke There's Barbecue' Foggy asks Ivy for sausages and bread rolls.
They let us Yorkshire folk down there Roger,no doubt catering for the international tv audience:DIn fact I watched Beware of the hot dog on Gold today and they were referred to as rolls,although strictly speaking they were rolls because they were long to fit a sausage,we call them rolls too,the round ones are breadcakes,probably easier to write rolls on the script and say it in the scene,rolls off the tongue easier than breadcakes.
(I’m joking but can’t get the normal emoji’s to stay on the post)

I have a recipe for stotty cake but I haven’t tried it yet. As I understand in the days of communal ovens they went in last as the oven cooled and gave it a heavier texture.
The real reason for my outcry was that when I looked up breadcake, not having heard the term before, the pale, mass produced result bore absolutely no resemblance to any of the lovely homemade style delights our Ivy would have been proud to stack upon her counter.

I think traditional cuisine is sadly slipping away, everything comes in a packet or a can. From what I understand Macsween has come up with Vegan haggis now. I read that due to leaving the EU there is more dependance on more traditional root vegetables but none of the younger set know how to cook them.
It’s no better here. I went in and bought a bunch of radishes. The checkout girl studied them and very seriously turned to me and asked, “Are these beets?”
True Eithne,most packets of breadcakes are light fluffy unsubstantial and mass produced that Ivy would not have in her cafe and bear no resemblance to proper baking,my Mum used to bake our own breadcakes in an oven that was built into the fireplace and cooked with the heat of the fire,no dials or knobs,and you’re right a lot of today’s generation have probably never had real home baking and cooking with proper vegetables,it’s all pre packaged vegetables to warm up in the microwave,or cans,or fast food,I think it’s the same everywhere.

True Eithne,most packets of breadcakes are light fluffy unsubstantial and mass produced that Ivy would not have in her cafe and bear no resemblance to proper baking,my Mum used to bake our own breadcakes in an oven that was built into the fireplace and cooked with the heat of the fire,no dials or knobs,and you’re right a lot of today’s generation have probably never had real home baking and cooking with proper vegetables,it’s all pre packaged vegetables to warm up in the microwave,or cans,or fast food,I think it’s the same everywhere.
If the current generation have no idea what root vegetables are or how to cook them, they must be eating very expensively during cold weather. Hothouse salads, maybe, rather than vegetables retrieved from the root cellar, cut into large bite-sized chunks and slow cooked with lean meat in broth. That's a proper stew, and crusty homemade bread is the only appropriate accompaniment for it.

Back