Weekend in Scarborough

chris

Dedicated Member
Yesterday I watched the wonderful two parter about the trio going to Scarborough for a long weekend this is one of the best with Foggy ,his rush into the freezing north sea is a brilliant piece of acting.He looked really cold and you could see the goose bumps his chattering teeth looked genuine.The boarding house was typical of the time sad and run down but probably cheap even Compo looked smart there.Gordon looked truly miserable as usual and it was good that he met his future wife there even if Compo organised the ladies of the working mans club as a surprise for the poor lad.This episode was a brilliant bit of observation by Roy and probably an epitaph for it as well as people stopped doing this sort of break by then .The ladies even managed to smile a few times but Wally still did not smile and as for Compo who else would bring his ferrets on holiday and he smartened himself up as well with clean socks must be a first! Yes this a classic and I hope its shown again soon although SWMBO would not be happy!

That two parter is a great watch and I've always wondered why they didn't do more of them over the years. What's also impressive about that is that they filmed those first that year so it was the first time on film for Brian Wilde with the rest of the cast, it was directed by someone who they had never worked with before (or after), and it was an episode written originally for Michael Bates as Blamire rather then Wilde as Foggy. And yet they still pulled off a classic episode(s).

Back