Watching every episode from start to finish........

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Hi I'm sure I'm not the only one, but a while ago I bought the full DVD set and wanted to watch every episode in order from start to finish.

I'm wondering how many others have done this, I started in April 2018 and I'm currently on series 24..... As a long time fan its really interesting to see when the characters enter/exit the series.

I had every intention of getting them all watched within a year, but working full time has somewhat hampered that. But even at an episode a night it would take 10 months to watch them all..........

I put LOTSW on every night when I go to bed. It is a relaxing programme to watch and I usually manage to stay awake for about one episode. I drift off to sleep and have sweet dreams about Glenda in her leathers:p. Well I used to dream about Glenda, I am so old now that I dream more of Nora in her pinny. :eek2:

Wow Adrian! I'm not sure I'll ever achieve that record! do you find things in the episodes you've missed previously or do you know them all off by heart now?

I'm not sure whether you're UK based but if you are I thoroughly recommend you watch the Summer Winos live as they're doing exactly the same and watching every episode from start to finish and presenting a stage show about it!

I'm not sure whether you're UK based but if you are I thoroughly recommend you watch the Summer Winos live as they're doing exactly the same and watching every episode from start to finish and presenting a stage show about it!
No, I'm not UK based. I reside halfway around the world.

... bought the full DVD set and wanted to watch every episode in order from start to finish.

Sounds like a great plan, Barrychuckle. Something I am in the process of doing too since buying the DVD collection. It is nice to see the characters progress throughout the story telling of the show.

That has me thinking. I do wish that when loved characters left the show there was some kind of mention to their absence. I'm not asking for anything on the scale of when Compo passed. Just a mention of some sort.

Seems that Nora was the only one who was mentioned about her absence in saying that she went to Australia. Sid, Wally, Crusher, Wesley, Edie, Billy, etc nothing was said as to them no longer being around. Blamire, Foggy and Seymour all had an explanation - went to Wales, egg painting, teaching.

I reckon that while the show was originally aired that the passing or sickness of Sid, Wally, Edie may have been in the news or common knowledge among viewers. Watching the show many years after it ended and from another continent without news of when these actors left the show. It just seems strange to me to be watching them in order and thinking "I have not seen Wally (or Wesley, or whoever) for quite a few episodes..." and then you wonder if this is about when they passed.

Seriously, Nora, Ivy, Edie all should have mentioned something about their husbands passing. Admittedly Nora and Ivy do eventually say something in remembrance of Wally and Sid during a Christmas episode. I thought that was very heartfelt and touching.

Sid's passing was marked by Crusher coming in to help Ivy so we knew something had happened. Ya think Glenda would have said something about either of her parents passing. She was very much a family oriented person and saw her parents often during the show. The ladies tea gatherings were a big part of them getting together and none mentioned Edie or Roz being gone.

I just think it would have been nice for the odd reflection maybe once or twice to a passed character. Something like "I wish Wesley was around to mend this gadget, or I miss Wally sneaking out and having a pint with us, or I miss Sid and his terrible tea." Some little thing to say that the characters remembered the other characters.

Sorry to have taken this off on a tangent. It is something I had been thinking about recently while watching an episode.

Thanks for the audio books link. Going to give them a listen. :)
These are great. Really like Clegg narrating. Not heard of these before.

Last edited:
After Bill Owen died every time either ferrets or wellies were mentioned I think of him. I remember in one episode after Stephen Lewis left Tom saying "We made Smiler disappear...".

Now that you mentioned it I vaguely recall Tom saying something like that. It did not dawn on me because I did not realize that Smiler was gone at the time.

Or a little bit of text at the beginning or end of an episode saying In Memory Of, Dedicated To, something saying a loved cast member has passed away. I remember seeing something like that in the ending credits of a few shows from long ago. Not seen it done often or in a long time. I remember thinking it was respectful to the actor and let future viewers know.

Last edited:
About once a year I will start at Ep1 and watch all in sequence until the end. It usually takes me about 3 months from "Go to Whoa"
I am in the middle of such an adventure at the moment, up to Series 5-6 at the moment. :p

You all make interesting points! I've also thought about the passing of the characters isn't usually discussed. My thoughts are that as LOTSW is such a gentle comedy the thorny subject of mortality is too much!!! Also I suppose if they are only a supporting member of the main cast eg Eli and explanation isn't required. I look on Summer Wine Wiki so I know when each characters first and last appearance is so I can keep an eye out for it. Ie Wesley's last appearance was It All Began With An Old Volvo Headlamp.

On the subject of watching all episodes Brian, getting through them all in 3 months is true dedication!!!!

One thing that struck me is the early and late episodes could be completely different comedies, normally programmes get more gritty and controversial with passing of time whereas LOTSW seems to get more sanitised as the episodes progress...... For example Mr Partridge the Librarian is having an illicit affair in the early episodes that makes Howard & Marina look even more innocent!!!

I am on my 3rd round of watching - first bought the DVDs at the suggestion of my good friend (a Yorkshireman himself - now sadly deceased) as we'd worked our way through a number of box sets and were looking for something enjoyable for Sunday evenings (the correct time for LOTSW!) First watching was purely for laughs and entertainment. Then I went to Holmfirth for a week and having visited a number of locations, then watched all the episodes again with my mind mainly on spotting locations, so am watching again - yes, with an eye on locations again (can't help myself!) but also to pay more attention to the characters and plots. I usually watch 2 episodes a day, after lunch and after evening meal - the luxury of being retired.

RickAns I agree with you in that it would have been nice to have some acknowledgement of many of those characters departing - although Barrychuckle, you made a good point when you said "LOTSW is such a gentle comedy the thorny subject of mortality is too much!!!"

@Barrychuckle I am really enjoying the link to the Summer Wine audio books. Love Clegg's narration. Makes me think of the episode he was writing his diaries and thinking back on the events of the day. So far I have listened to about half a dozen of them. Listen to them while doing other things about the house. I've even downloaded them all so I can listen to them on car trips or whatever. Thanks again! :)

I’ve not got the boxed set but I have every series in a box set - if that makes sense? I bought them as and when they came out in the uk.
As a result of having them for so long I’ve watched them many times although only watched all the way through only twice. I tend to get around the time of Compo passing and feel the urge to start again - although a lot of the episodes post compo are real good I just miss seeing him on screen.

Now I kinda dip in and out and watching dvds at random just so I can kinda have a pot luck at what to watch - currently Barry’s rival has just entered (I can’t remember the name at the minute or the series) it’s a later series

That has me thinking. I do wish that when loved characters left the show there was some kind of mention to their absence. I'm not asking for anything on the scale of when Compo passed. Just a mention of some sort.

I just think it would have been nice for the odd reflection maybe once or twice to a passed character. Something like "I wish Wesley was around to mend this gadget, or I miss Wally sneaking out and having a pint with us, or I miss Sid and his terrible tea." Some little thing to say that the characters remembered the other characters.

Sorry to have taken this off on a tangent. It is something I had been thinking about recently while watching an episode.
I'll second all of that. Specially regulars, or not "MAIN" but not background characters.
but who would have expected when this show started or even when it was in season 15 that people would be watching it from episode 1 onwards 5 times :)

I began buying the UK version 2-season box sets many years ago, eventually caught up to the current set and continued through the final season. I also have both seasons of FOTSW. I watch the episodes strictly in the order in which they were broadcast, starting with the FOTSW pilot and limiting my viewing to one episode per evening at bedtime. Even though I could nearly recite each of the older scripts, they still make me laugh. A good laugh is very relaxing and sets me up for a night's sleep.

Back