Warmest early series episode?

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
What episode from the early years do you think looks the warmest, as many of them are dark, and rainy and wet on the outdoor scenes.

I vote for the Golf Episode from series 3, apart from the really bad film quality, it looks really warm and sunny on the outdoor scenes, alot like the episodes from the late 80's and 90's.

Without looking at them all closely to get a totally accurate answer, I have an impression that the setting in Pate and Chips is warm and bright. However it just may be the psychological feel from the happiness of Compo's family and a sunny trip to the estate.

Without looking at them all closely to get a totally accurate answer, I have an impression that the setting in Pate and Chips is warm and bright. However it just may be the psychological feel from the happiness of Compo's family and a sunny trip to the estate.

Well the middle is quite sunny, but if you look at the start with them waiting outside compo's, it's pouring down.

Famous long hot summer? I wasn´t born, how was that summer and how hot was it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

Thank you! Wow, amazing! We get temperatures like that sometimes in summer, but only for very few days. In 2003 we had the hottest year ever measured, over 40°C in parts, I remember that very well because I had to be outdoors because of my biology study :eek:. It was sooo hot, nobody was to be seen or heard, even the birds were silent, it was like an oven. And it lasted for several weeks with no rain, all the grass turned pale and yellow and the Rhine nearly vanished in parts! Tonight I learned the Thames was a contributary stream to the Rhine 70 million years ago by the way, very interesting. Anyway, this is what the Rhine looked like in Düsseldorf where I was, and it really is a big stream...

ddorf2003_438q.jpg

The laugh about 1976 was the fact that A Minister for Drought was appointed and almost immediately it p***** it down :eek: :p

LOL! I just read about that. A Minister for Drought... in England.... ha ha!! Sounds ridiculous. I know it wasn´t at the time, but according to the cliche it´s hilarious.

Famous long hot summer? I wasn´t born, how was that summer and how hot was it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

Thank you! Wow, amazing! We get temperatures like that sometimes in summer, but only for very few days. In 2003 we had the hottest year ever measured, over 40°C in parts, I remember that very well because I had to be outdoors because of my biology study :eek:. It was sooo hot, nobody was to be seen or heard, even the birds were silent, it was like an oven. And it lasted for several weeks with no rain, all the grass turned pale and yellow and the Rhine nearly vanished in parts! Tonight I learned the Thames was a contributary stream to the Rhine 70 million years ago by the way, very interesting. Anyway, this is what the Rhine looked like in Düsseldorf where I was, and it really is a big stream...

ddorf2003_438q.jpg

Cor! That looks like something you would expect to see in Death Valley!

I remember the summer of '76 very well, i was 22 and got married that February.
It went from early March, to the end of October, although i never got any "Dried dates" thrown at me.

Regarding the post, "A merry heatwave" looked quite hot, that was possibly also filmed in 1976?

G ; )

I remember the summer of '76 very well, i was 22 and got married that February.
It went from early March, to the end of October, although i never got any "Dried dates" thrown at me.

Regarding the post, "A merry heatwave" looked quite hot, that was possibly also filmed in 1976?

G ; )

I assume the long hot summer mentioned in Dried Dates and Codfanglers was that of 1976, or even the one mentioned in A Merry Heatwave.

I'm certain A Merry Heatwave was made in 1977, but certainly based on the summer of 76.

The first series of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin was filmed during the summer of 1976, and again the weather looks glorious. By coincidence, the novel written a year earlier is set during a long hot summer, so the weather for filming couldn't have been any more perfect.

In the 70's I worked in the control room for the fire service and 76 is a year never to be forgotten,at times one day just blurred into another with the volume of calls,coming off a 12 hour night shift and the phone would start to ring to come back in before you had chance to get your feet into the bed.

After a few weeks most folk seemed to get used to the heat, unlike these days when you get a couple of days of high temps,then its cold again,then it is hot again and so it goes on

I sometimes wonder if it's because of that lovely weather that The Kink in Foggy's Niblick such a favourite episode of mine. Ronnie Hazlehurst used some pretty catchy music too, so it's a very happy episode in my opinion.

I remember 1976, still on two wheels those days (brand new Honda 250) - and some of our reservoirs looked a bit like the image **** included ....

I seem to recall "Ballad For Wind Instruments And Canoe" having a warm atmosphere about it, except of course for the part where Armpepper fell out of his canoe and was floating downstream.

You're right, Wstol. The Kink in Foggys Niblick must have been very warm because Clegg had his top shirt button undone. It must have been roasting for him to venture so far!!

How do you people put pictures in your posts? I tried copy and paste but it doesn't work..

Back