Wally's motorcycle

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
Just trying to think of all the episodes that featured Wally riding his motorcycle. I'm reminded in particular of "Cheering Up Ludovic", which was hilarious seeing Wally trying to catch up to the runaway van that kept falling apart! Also, just curious to know if a motorcycle license in the UK is a different certification than a standard driver's license. Here in the US, you take a separate written and road test, and they stamp the back of a standard driver's license to show you're certified to ride a motorcycle as well. Is that the same way across the pond?

Just trying to think of all the episodes that featured Wally riding his motorcycle. I'm reminded in particular of "Cheering Up Ludovic", which was hilarious seeing Wally trying to catch up to the runaway van that kept falling apart! Also, just curious to know if a motorcycle license in the UK is a different certification than a standard driver's license. Here in the US, you take a separate written and road test, and they stamp the back of a standard driver's license to show you're certified to ride a motorcycle as well. Is that the same way across the pond?

He rode his motorcycle in.
Enter the phanton
Uncle of the bride
Wind power

There are a few more but can not think of them at the moment :)

A motorcycle licence is distinct from a car licence in the UK. I obtained mine in 1969 for two wheels which also covers a motor cycle combination (as Wally) and incidentally a three wheeler (provided it was under 8 cwt unladen - they always were by about 2 lbs!).

This last fact enabled me to legally drive a three wheeler (a Reliant Supervan III as seen in Only Fools and Horses) which had a reverse gear and could reach 75 mph or more with it's 750 cc engine in very low weight body. It was legal to drive on the motorway and was much more like driving a car than a motor cycle. To be fair, the early ones where more like a motor cycle with two wheels at the back and a body added.

It was twelve years later that I took a separate test for a car - something about it seeming to get damper and colder and a motorcycle was not that good when your work required you to dress in dark three piece suits!

We seem to have had a similar start to our motoring, Barmpot.
I started off in 1970 on a Honda 50 Step-through, then a BSA C15 250cc, passed my test in '73 and bought a Reliant Regal van, a 1967 model with the 600cc engine, the Robins had a 750, then an 850 engine in them, i've had quite a few of those over the years as well.
Wally's bikes were a 600cc BSA M21 side valve, which is what he was seen on most of the time and the one featured in "Ludovic", is a Royal Enfield 700cc Super Meteor or a Constellation, not 100% sure which though.

G ; )

We seem to have had a similar start to our motoring, Barmpot.
I started off in 1970 on a Honda 50 Step-through, then a BSA C15 250cc, passed my test in '73 and bought a Reliant Regal van, a 1967 model with the 600cc engine, the Robins had a 750, then an 850 engine in them, i've had quite a few of those over the years as well.
Wally's bikes were a 600cc BSA M21 side valve, which is what he was seen on most of the time and the one featured in "Ludovic", is a Royal Enfield 700cc Super Meteor or a Constellation, not 100% sure which though.

G ; )

Thanks for the info BluprintZ - yes I passed on a Honda step-thru which although 50 cc was a motor cycle as it had a kick start as opposed to pedals which were the hall mark of a moped. I had had a Lambretta, and a Mobylette before! :-[ :-[

I went from the Honda to a Panther 650 cc - without the chair but heavier than Wally's M21. It was the BSA that was on show in the long gone museum in Haworth and was the one, as you say, usually used.

I had a number of bikes before succumbing to three wheels - Velcoette, Triumph, BSA amongst them
but then a Supervan 1971 by which time I thought it had a 750 engine, my later Robin Estate had the 850cc engine.

I still yearn for two wheels occasionally, when it is warm and sunny, and ever time I pass a dealer in Shipley who has a BSA C15 (I think from glancing at it) for sale and wonder can I afford it and where would I put it? Oh, and what would the wife say?

Avid motorcyclist myself, love the British bikes!!!! I have been trying to talk the misses into getting a bike with a side car. No go so far on that one, haha. My first bike was a 1971 Honda CB350, I remember when I took my test on it back in the late 1980's it was time for a rebuild and it would hardly stay running and the lady giving me the test was laughing at me. Good times, seemed to be less to worry about then. Had many bikes since, all Japanese made.
I know have a dual purpose bike. 01 Suzuki DRZ 400. My son(9) rides a Yamaha TTR90 and my Daughter(12) and my wife share a 4 wheeler. I sold my street bike to be able to go off and ride in the woods and spend time with the family.
Someday, I again will have another street bike.
In England, are there places to ride off road on public lands?

here and there along the way, we had an Ariel square four and
a Vincent.

Classic machines - always wanted a Vincent, Squariels were often used with a chair: their 1000 cc engine having the right characteristics for combination use. Plenty of torque due to a low revving engine, similar to the Panther in that respect although a single cylinder of 600 or 650 cc was hard to turn over compared to four cylinders of 250 cc each.

Any photos? So I can drool?

There was also the one when he and Nora were riding the bike looking for a lost pigeon, and the trio stripped him of his pants for Compo.

Back