Walk in showers

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Yesterday was my shower day. I am as regular as clockwork with my shower timetable. I have a shower every time the clocks go forward and a shower every time they go back. That's only twice a year I hear you say. It is true, I only shower twice a year. That is due to my body being so incapacitated that it is extremely difficult for me to get into the shower. We still have the bath that was fitted when the house was built and had a shower fitted over the bath years later. I cannot get into the bath and, getting out of it without a crane, would be impossible. So, with the aid of a step and my wife's shoulders I have to gingerly get into the bath and under the shower. It is an extremely difficult manoeuvre. It gets harder to do every time I shower. We, that's my managing director and I, discussed the problem because she also has difficulty getting into the shower. We decided that we should have a 'Walk In Shower' fitted. I have mentioned before that my wife is very well endowed in the weight department and took that into account when we started our search on the internet for a walk in shower. She needs to be able to walk into it comfortably. We have searched for months for a suitable shower but, having waded through hundreds of shower salesrooms, we cannot find a company that makes them in CinemaScope.

:46: oo, owwww

Yesterday was my shower day. I am as regular as clockwork with my shower timetable. I have a shower every time the clocks go forward and a shower every time they go back. That's only twice a year I hear you say. It is true, I only shower twice a year. That is due to my body being so incapacitated that it is extremely difficult for me to get into the shower. We still have the bath that was fitted when the house was built and had a shower fitted over the bath years later. I cannot get into the bath and, getting out of it without a crane, would be impossible. So, with the aid of a step and my wife's shoulders I have to gingerly get into the bath and under the shower. It is an extremely difficult manoeuvre. It gets harder to do every time I shower. We, that's my managing director and I, discussed the problem because she also has difficulty getting into the shower. We decided that we should have a 'Walk In Shower' fitted. I have mentioned before that my wife is very well endowed in the weight department and took that into account when we started our search on the internet for a walk in shower. She needs to be able to walk into it comfortably. We have searched for months for a suitable shower but, having waded through hundreds of shower salesrooms, we cannot find a company that makes them in CinemaScope.

:46: oo, owwww

Just stick the shower hose out the window and go shower outside :)

I used to love a long soak in the bath and read a book,(Kids permitting , DAD i NEED THE TOILET!!) I came to live in my flat and it had a wet room I've grown to like my walk in shower and I read afterwards !:08:

Peri- On a serious note, is anything like this configuration available in Great Britain? https://www.kohlerwalkinbath.com/
These are very expensive, but I was tempted while recovering from my shoulder joint replacement surgery and the home care occupational therapist insisted that I try using a shower chair in the bathtub to transfer from a standing position beside the tub to seated in the tub under the shower. The reason for her insistence was that I couldn't use my left hand to steady myself on the grab bars until six weeks post-op, and stepping in and out is much safer with a firm grip two-handed grip. The chair did the job, but it obstructed access to either the faucet and shower control at one end of the tub or the built-in niches for soap, shampoo, etc. at the other end.

Peri- On a serious note, is anything like this configuration available in Great Britain? https://www.kohlerwalkinbath.com/
These are very expensive, but I was tempted while recovering from my shoulder joint replacement surgery and the home care occupational therapist insisted that I try using a shower chair in the bathtub to transfer from a standing position beside the tub to seated in the tub under the shower. The reason for her insistence was that I couldn't use my left hand to steady myself on the grab bars until six weeks post-op, and stepping in and out is much safer with a firm grip two-handed grip. The chair did the job, but it obstructed access to either the faucet and shower control at one end of the tub or the built-in niches for soap, shampoo, etc. at the other end.
Yes, here in the US they have walk-in bathtubs with showers. There is a door so you can just walk in and then once you're in, just close the door that has a no-leak tight seal. There is also a seat, so you're don't have to sit all the way down in the tub. As far as the cost, it is probably in the range of a small car.

This is for Wellyman --Yes, I agree having the tub removed and having a shower with sliding shower doors installed. Hopefully, you can find one that can fit into the tub footprint. With these older homes, it is so hard sometimes to do these necessary upgrades.

Yes, here in the US they have walk-in bathtubs with showers. There is a door so you can just walk in and then once you're in, just close the door that has a no-leak tight seal. There is also a seat, so you're don't have to sit all the way down in the tub. As far as the cost, it is probably in the range of a small car.

This is for Wellyman --Yes, I agree having the tub removed and having a shower with sliding shower doors installed. Hopefully, you can find one that can fit into the tub footprint. With these older homes, it is so hard sometimes to do these necessary upgrades.
For the first time yesterday I saw an AD on TV for a walk in bath tub with shower. I like the look of that and will give it some consideration when we have the covid on the run. In the meantime I will have to stand in a kiddies plastic paddling pool while my wife empties a watering can full of water on me :eek::confused2:....
You will just have to wear a shower cap to prevent your wig from shrinking. ;)
In 85 years that is the first time I've heard it called a wig.:frown2:

Retrofitting bath tubs seems to be all the rage here. With outfits like "West Shore Home" (which I think deliberately chose that name to sound one "s" away at the end from sounding like a new housing contractor) claiming they can do a total change-out in a day. Crazy expensive and high-pressure sales during the on-site quotation from what I hear.

There's also the "pool tub" that has a door you walk through and shut. You can sit in those. I never see the price in the ads which is usually a sign to run.

After much searching and lots of measuring I have worked out a simple and much cheaper method for me to take a shower. Waiting for the pandemic to be beaten is a NO NO as I wouldn't consider allowing workmen into the house. If I stand by the bath I am about 6 inches short of getting my leg over the edge of the bath and I do not have anything to grab onto apart from my managing director. I had contemplated getting a pair of steps but I know that I wouldn't be safe as I would need something to grip with my hands. In desperation I searched through step ladders on the net and found just what I wanted, a 3 step ladder with a high grip that enables one to hold onto and give support. It is nearly 6 feet high and the height between each step is 9 inches which is more than enough to get my leg over. The bath Dick, I'm talking about getting my leg over the edge of the bath. I would only need to use the first step and the ladder, which only weighs 8 lbs can be kept in the bath. If this works out OK I might post some photos for you. Dressed of course. :eyesroll:

Just be careful Peri ! I've been paddling a stick for nearly 10 years now. I was up the stepladder and over reached.The steps went one way and I went down !:fp: I am seriously lucky to be walking. I have a "grab"rail and a chair thingy that I now use in the shower. Speaking of a grab rail you can get an attachment that uses some form of suction cups .You may not want to trust them anyway. Mine is screwed to my bathroom wall.:eyesroll:

Just be careful Peri ! I've been paddling a stick for nearly 10 years now. I was up the stepladder and over reached.The steps went one way and I went down !:fp: I am seriously lucky to be walking. I have a "grab"rail and a chair thingy that I now use in the shower. Speaking of a grab rail you can get an attachment that uses some form of suction cups .You may not want to trust them anyway. Mine is screwed to my bathroom wall.:eyesroll:
I have three sets of those grab rails with suckers Dick and they are good. I always clean and reset them every time I shower. They will work loose if not regularly reset. I stick one on my belly so I can see where I'm aiming when I go for a pee. :frown2:

Yours is screwed to the bathroom wall Dick? That must be painful. :eek2:

Back