Visiting Holmfirth

Jen

I decided that if I am ever going to visit Holmfirth I need to commit myself to it by booking something now - I usually find that works! I found a couple of likely places to stay, one is called Sunny Banks guest house and the other is The Cottage. Does anyone have any experience of either of them?

I looked around the site to see if there was already a thread on the subject but didnt find one but lots of mentions in various other threads. I wondered if it would be a good idea to have one place for people to leave suggestions and comments etc?

I found this one You Tube today - hope this link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv_aJsqctA

It's videos of walks around Holmfirth by The Taxi Man (he has loads of others too). I'm am sure you know them already though - I thought it would be good to be able to watch them on a mobile device as you were walking round as he gives such good directions - even I couldnt get lost with them!

First, be sure you are not planning to visit Holmfirth when
the Tour de France goes thru. Overnight stays are about
doubled during that time and the pubs will be jammed.

Check out the Springfield Guest House right on the main
street (Huddersfield Road) where Anne and Bernard treat you
well, and Bernard does great breakfasts. Great walking from
there up and down the Holme Valley.

When I have visited I generally eat at Compo's Fish & Chips in the evening,Even Alan Bell has been spotted in there,they do a wide range not just fish and chips,for lunch it is the Cornerhouse cafe opposite the bus station,good food and great value

Did go to meet Alan Bell at the Bridge Hotel last year, it was very busy,very noisy and slow service, I like the Wrinkled Stocking near Nora's, good snacks a little expensive,great cakes and service.

Brooklands Nurseries in Scholes has a tea room,a bit on the expensive side but good food and great views,Toms shed was built at the back of the Nurseries and they did have photo's

If you wander to Marsden there is Angie's Kitchen in Market Place (Opposite the Co-op) good basic cooking

In nearby Slaithwaite on the road by the canal (Off Old Bank) was a floating tea room which was great fun

Terry

I assume you will have transport so do use my location map on the home page to find many of the locations used,Terry

Thanks for all the info.
I'm not sure if I will have transport, I don't drive and may be travelling alone (not sure yet). I'm used to walking though so a mile or two will be no problem if the bus service isn't too good.
The Stoney Bank b&b looks gorgeous but I will have a look at the Springfield too as it looks more central.
Thanks for the info too on where to eat - that will be very useful particularly if I go on my own as I dont like going in pubs by myself - but do like their food!
I read some time ago about a little bus trip that goes from Sids cafe but it seemed quite a short trip. Is it worthwhile or would a walking trip be better?
Obviously I would like to see as many of the LOTSW 'places' as I can but would like to see the surrounding area anyway as it looks like its is still unspoilt and beautiful.

Thanks for all the info.
I'm not sure if I will have transport, I don't drive and may be travelling alone (not sure yet). I'm used to walking though so a mile or two will be no problem if the bus service isn't too good.
The Stoney Bank b&b looks gorgeous but I will have a look at the Springfield too as it looks more central.
Thanks for the info too on where to eat - that will be very useful particularly if I go on my own as I dont like going in pubs by myself - but do like their food!
I read some time ago about a little bus trip that goes from Sids cafe but it seemed quite a short trip. Is it worthwhile or would a walking trip be better?
Obviously I would like to see as many of the LOTSW 'places' as I can but would like to see the surrounding area anyway as it looks like its is still unspoilt and beautiful.

If you do decide to stop at Stoney bank I do recall seeing bus stops not far from the B&B,if you called and spoke to Anne she would be best placed to advise you how good the service is, and I am sure there are decent bus services between Holmfirth,Meltham and Marsden, so much filming was done in Marsden

There are bus stops along the Huddersfield Road, one right in front of
the Springfield Guest House. We have taken a bus from there over to
Marsden to walk out to Tunnel End and the famous LOTSW bridge.
Down near Victoria Square there is a "bus stop" where buses from
all different routes stop.

It's a short and easy walk over the hill to Jackson Bridge and the
White Horse pub. No bus needed.

The Summerwine tour bus that goes from Sids cafe is worth a go if you can't drive to the locations yourself.
As mentioned earlier by Cciaffone i'd avoid the Tour week, as an aside the enterprising farmers are letting out their fields for camping over that period-only £200 for 3 nights >:( . When we stay in our campervan at Holme valley it only costs about £18 a night with use of all the facilities!

Back