Vehicles in Summer Wine

Wow I've never heard of a Super Snipe, you clearly know your cars!

The Humber brand was from the Rootes Group, which I'm not to familiar with, but the Morris Minor is more my area from the BMC/BL group. All but Rootes Group, my area is most of the British and European cars from the 1950s to around 2000 when they all started to look alike and it was impossible to tell them apart easily.

Last edited:
All I know is Humbers were made in Coventry. Now I do love the Morris Minor, I particularly like the wooden framed Traveller, I think the wood is Ash but not 100%

All I know is Humbers were made in Coventry. Now I do love the Morris Minor, I particularly like the wooden framed Traveller, I think the wood is Ash but not 100%

It is ash wood they used because it can easily be shaped and moulded into the car's frame. On a Morris Minor Travellor the wood is actually part of the car's main structure, but on a 1960s Mini Traveller/Countryman, it is only cosmetic decoration. The 1970s Mini Clubman estates were basically the same bodywork (with different front ends) and did without the wood.

It is ash wood they used because it can easily be shaped and moulded into the car's frame. On a Morris Minor Travellor the wood is actually part of the car's main structure, but on a Mini Traveller/Countryman, it is only cosmetic decoration.
I also thought they used Ash as they didn't rot so much too, I remember seeing an episode on Wheeler Dealers once where they renovated one and was amazed to see there is a company which still manufacture the timber frames!
A Morris Traveller is on my list very closely behind the stunning Aston Martin DB5

I also thought they used Ash as they didn't rot so much too, I remember seeing an episode on Wheeler Dealers once where they renovated one and was amazed to see there is a company which still manufacture the timber frames!
A Morris Traveller is on my list very closely behind the stunning Aston Martin DB5

That's also true, they don't rot so much. I also watch Wheeler Dealers quite a lot, but it's a while since I've seen the Morris Traveller episode.

Still disliked driving he said !

You think of all the times Clegg was scared to death of driving and refused to even try it, but in that episode, he actually wanted to buy a car. Perhaps it was crashing into that tractor that put him off.

We never saw any really expensive cars in the series I can recall, I can remember one episode with an old Rolls Royce and thats about it. Mind you I shudder to think what Wesley would have done with a Ferrari to tinker with!!!!

Just an observation but in photo 1 the number platforms little loose could be Edie has had a little bump or is it just temporarily on there for a shot with the real plate removed ?

Just an observation but in photo 1 the number platforms little loose could be Edie has had a little bump or is it just temporarily on there for a shot with the real plate removed ?

That's true. I think the plate in photo 1 was the real plate, as that's the car still on the road according to DVLA, a 13/60 version. Photo 2 is a 1200 version, so it may have false plates in the hop we wouldn't notice it was a different car. And, I'm wondering which episode Glenda actually drove Edie's car as she is doing in photo 3??

Back