vcr to pc??

George

Super Moderator
There are a lot of intelligent people on here with a lot of computer savvy.
Is there anything available to help me put my videos onto my pc?
No technical jargon please you will be explaining it to a complete pratt wit computers.
Thank you

Many years ago, long long before digital tv, I bought a TV
Tuner card that installed into a slot in the pc, and to
which I attached the coaxial cable either from an antenna
or from a VCR.

The TV card came with software -- a program.

Started the program, played the VCR into the TV
card, and the program saved a file on the PC. Could
then burn that file to a DVD and play it on the TV.

Sorry, have forgotten all the brand names, but that's
the way it worked.

There are a lot of intelligent people on here with a lot of computer savvy.
Is there anything available to help me put my videos onto my pc?
No technical jargon please you will be explaining it to a complete pratt wit computers.
Thank you

George you can buy for under £20 something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimaxDigital-Camcorders-Satellite-playstation3-software/dp/B002Y4GTVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361818203&sr=8-1 which comes complete with software, plug your VCR into this via phono leads,plug the device into your computer,load the software and start recording from your vcr

Hi George.

I own an Audio/Visual production studio here in Wales, music for TV, Corporate video, etc.
To be honest, i always had a problem transferring VHS tapes to the PC, the main one being that the PC just wasn't high specification and to get it to a decent spec, meant spending quite a bit on hardware and software.
The USB and other such interfaces, that allow the VHS recorder to be connected to your PC are ok (ish) but the bottom line is whether your PC can cope or not.

Mine suffered with buffering problems, there just wasn't enough memory or processing power to cope, so as a result, it became more infuriating as the software would stop recording, so that the processor and memory could catch up, i was using Pinnacle studio software that came with a PCI interface card, that slots into one of the PCI bays in the PC but i still struggled badly with the hardware side of the PC, it just wasn't up to the job.
In the end, i had no option but to buy a Mac Pro, otherwise i was likely to start losing work.
It certainly did the job, although it cost in excess of £3,000. but the work i have done with it over the last several years, has more than paid for it.

I'm not saying that the PC platform isn't up to recording video, it's just that you really need a decent spec system if you are hoping to get decent results.

G ; )

Back