Unfrozen peas.

I haven't but there was a disturbing report in my local paper that since it was announced that people should not feed the ducks and swans with bread people have stopped feeding them full stop and they are actually starving and it won't be long until we witness the first casualties not great . :(

It is not harmful to feed bread to the Birds Captain, providing other food is also fed to them like wheat germ. My wife puts seven, yes seven, slices of bread out for the birds every day. Mixed in with that are two handsful of raisins. All that plus two special feeders for the squirrels full of peanuts, some homemade suet cakes, three feeders full of wild bird food and freshwater. By dinner time it is all gone and then she fills up the wild bird food feeders again. We give them wholemeal bread, not white, and they love it, especially the magpies. We also used to feed wholemeal bread to the ducks and swans as well but the days of park visits are no longer suitable for us. Go ahead Captain and feed some bread, it can be white bread but not mouldy, to the birds and mix some wild bird food with it and maybe a few raisins. If possible, try and make feeding stations for them off the ground. Moggies are not on the menu. :mad:

The question how do we get the message across when what seems to have been ill informed advice without qualifying what would be a better course to follow gas apparently been so readily accepted that people have simply stopped feeding Ducks and Swans in particular when in the past it was common place to do so . Here is an article highlighting the issue and offering some tips including your Peas idea Peri

Back