Understanding classic comedy

Remakes and updates rarely work. Sometimes its better to leave things as they were...

Although David Jason is one of my fav all time actors, and I think he would make an awesome Manwaring, just leave it as it was.

I loved Dads Army.. lost episodes have been talked about in many successful series - just .. just don't.

I think remaking the lost episodes of Dad's Army would be a disaster.
I saw the clips of the 2016 film and it looks really bad. I've got the 1971 movie of Dad's Army on DVD and it's much better!

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Childs [UKTV CEO]
Making A Dad's Army re-run
We are the boys who'll stop your little game
We are the boys who will make you think again
Cause' who do you think you are kidding Mr Childs
If you think it should be done

Our Pearl goes off to town on the old 810
But she comes back each evening and she's ready with her Pen
So watch out Mr Childs
You've met your match in us
If you think you can hoodwink us
I'm afraid you've missed the bus
So who do you think you are kidding Mr Childs
If you think a remake should be done.

Following my post regarding Stan Laurel living part of his life in North Shields , I have had a wonderful afternoon at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle, where the North East Film Archive have been showing press and amateur films about the local Tyneside area . To my surprise and absolute delight one of the films shown, in part, marked a visit of both Stan and Olly to my local Seaside resort of Tynemouth, which is adjacent to North Shields. Stan never forgot his roots and whilst on their whirlwind tour of the UK Stan insisted they visit his home town area .

The film , alongside many others , have been made available online by NEFA so I am including here should anyone wish to glimpse it . The Hotel they stayed at , the Grand , is still there as is the Tynemouth Plaza in part. Much like going to LOTSW locations where our favourites have stood I feel so privileged to have stood so many times at the Plaza , unaware until today, that the space was once occupied by probably the greatest comedy double act ever .

There was one anecdote from today's presentation I would like to share. When Stan resided at Dockwray Square he and his friends would often go down to the Fish Quay at North Shields below to witness them landing the day's catch . To get there from Dockwray Square there is a set of steps, 59 in total, down a very steep slope . It was these steps that allegedly gave Stand the germ of the idea for the steps in the Music Box that they try to deliver the Piano up.

The link to the film is below , sadly there is no sound as clearly in those days they filmed and added any soundtrack separately but the scene behind them does not look a great deal different to what it looks like today . The outdoor pool is still there but is sadly dilapidated although there is a group trying to revive it lets hope they succeed I remember swimming there when I was a child .

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/laurel-and-hardy-visit-tynemouth

As much as I hate re-makes and so-called re-boots, it seems this is one way to try to imagine what the three missing episodes were like.

That said, there is an audio recording of one of the missing episodes, and also these episodes were later re-recorded for radio only. These radio shows feature most if not all of the original cast, and still remain intact. There is also an impressive amount of photographs of these episodes.

So, maybe a combination of whatever audio and photographic material should be cobbled together.

Furthermore, whatever happened to the 'hologram' technique recently used to create a Les Dawson show?

I've no idea how it works, every explanation has made zero sense to me, so would that work??

Last edited:
Back