UK Storms

I think the worst over now here in Norwich. Not too bad at all I think we have got away with it. Hope everyone else ok

Here in Notts we're getting rain and the occasional gust of wind. Been pretty quiet overnight and much the same this morning . Hope everyone else is o k . :)

Yorkshire: blustery yesterday and heavy showers, somewhat the same today.

It seems the south took the full force and by the time it got here it was mainly spent.

My yardstick is in my yard - if there is a small pond on the flagstones (where they have sunk slightly over the last 110 years since being laid) then it is heavy, persistent rain. Not enough to concern us today though. Actually sunny now.

Its very sunny here, washing drying weather at the moment. I think we're in the clear now, just hope it clears up down South soon.

Checked with my mother who lives in Sussex: all quiet where she was - seems certain areas far harder hit than others.

Mind you she does not understand why the trains were stopped. Her father-in-law was a Foreman platelayer on the railway and when he was working they were allocated in teams all down the track (there would be a gang every few miles responsible for their length of track) and dealt with problems as they arose: these days they have to drive to the railway in their van from a central location, so less simple to keep on top of problems.

Checked with my mother who lives in Sussex: all quiet where she was - seems certain areas far harder hit than others.

Mind you she does not understand why the trains were stopped. Her father-in-law was a Foreman platelayer on the railway and when he was working they were allocated in teams all down the track (there would be a gang every few miles responsible for their length of track) and dealt with problems as they arose: these days they have to drive to the railway in their van from a central location, so less simple to keep on top of problems.

Railways just do not have the support infrastructure that was there once. Case in point is standby motive power. If engine broke down there would be a relief not far away. It is just not the case any more.

Back