in English before LOTSW???

Been looking up old SW words and finding definitions, but most of the
definitions are not "old enough" to make sense. Most are from the
early 80's.

So ... where do Twonk and Twallop really come from? Were these
"invented" or coined by Roy Clarke or did these really exist
in English before LOTSW???

If I recall they were your basic English slang words from that era Chuck

Are you making a list of the words and definitions you are coming across? If you are willing to share I would like to see it.

Cheers,
Rick

I heard twonk and twallop 60+ years ago when I was growing up in Notts .As I understand it they were brought from Yorkshire by the miners who came down for work. :wink:

So, in the 60's:

Did Twallop mean lies, rubbish, complete bull, heresay, rumor

Did Twonk mean a derogitary term, roughly equivalent to idiot.
More insulting than berk, but less insulting that gimp.
A cross between a twat, plonker and wanker.

Never ever heard these outside SW, but then I'm over here and
you're over there.

Used them in London in the fifties sixties with much force when using them could be really insulting if used properly.

So, in the 60's:

Did Twallop mean lies, rubbish, complete bull, heresay, rumor

Did Twonk mean a derogitary term, roughly equivalent to idiot.
More insulting than berk, but less insulting that gimp.

Never ever heard these outside SW, but then I'm over here and
you're over there.

I always took them to mean the opposites of your understanding Chuck. Twonk was lies rubbish etc . Twallop was equivalent to twerp etc(foolish)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always took them to mean the opposites of your understanding Chuck. Twonk was lies rubbish etc . Twallop was equivalent to twerp etc(foolish)

We used Twonk to mean rubbish as we weren't allowed to say the other words and the same with twallop or twit meant plonker/fool.

We used Twonk to mean rubbish as we weren't allowed to say the other words and the same with twallop or twit meant plonker/fool.

It must be a regional thing Pearl, you're not far from me and your reply gels with mine. As I explained on another thread my daughter used the words "me duck" in Exeter and it was taken as an insult. While round the East Midlands it is used as a friendly term as you will know. :)

It must be a regional thing Pearl, you're not far from me and your reply gels with mine. As I explained on another thread my daughter used the words "me duck" in Exeter and it was taken as an insult. While round the East Midlands it is used as a friendly term as you will know. :)

We obviously talk proper round here duck!

Talking of twonk and twallop didn't Auntie call Smiler a great long prollock anyone know where that phrase come's from

I think it may have been a made up name Gill. However it seems to be a fairly common surname across the pond!

We obviously talk proper round here duck!

When I first came to Leeds in the 1970s the bus conductors (still had them then) would call me "love" which coming from the south I found a little strange.

Then the man in a nylon jacket, serving the egg, bacon and sausage sandwich (round the corner from the famous Jimmies) with a fag permanently stuck on his lower lip cascading ash on aforresaid nylon jacket also called me "love". Felt it unwise to question this as a large Alsatian dog was slobbering his side of the barrier to his counter/kitchen!

Visited a colleagues house and her father (about 65 years old called me "Rodney love". The only ladies who called me love wore fur coats, sandals and short skirts in Spencer Place. (Those who knew Leeds in the 1970s will know what I mean and others might guess - the hospital was not very far from that area.)

Back