TV show remakes

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Other than LOSW,What show would you like to see back on our TV's, one of mine would be Oh Dr Beeching

Keeping Up Appearances would be good. Its a bit like Summer wine, easy to watch. Also As Time Goes By another easy one to watch.

Ms. Routledge is still alive isn't she. Got to be in her 80's if not 90? That was my first love of the Brit comedy on PBS. To young when Benny Hill was big here to understand.

I will probably be in a minority here, but I usually don't like series either being brought back or remade once they have had their time. This is especially true for comedies that were very successful first time around and are given the "classic" title. The reason for this is simple in that it is almost impossible to recreate the success that went before. I can't think of any that went on and on or came back that maintained the high standard that made it a classic.

Unfortunately, LOTSW can never come back with those that made it what it was. Most end up being a disappointment and while part of me perhaps wouldn't mind seeing more of the likes of LOTSW, Dads Army, Steptoe and Son and probably 50 others, without the original cast, or the cast that made it great, there really is no point.

A few years ago the BBC remade Reggie Perrin. Now I quite like Martin Clunes, but this was a disaster. How could the original without Leonard Rossiter ever be reproduced? The Likely Lads was tried with Ant and Dec. Dear me.

So, there really isn't anything I'd like to see come back as most of the original cast for many of the series that I liked in the past are probably no longer around and remakes often end up nowhere near as good. I'm happy to watch the repeats and remember them for what they were. I have little desire to watch inferior remakes.

Of course, we have Still Open All Hours to look forward to and it will be interesting to see if that can raise the standard of what for the most part has been poor remakes or "return of" type series.

I got to agree with you on some shows philosopher clegg, if there brought back though with original characters I think they should be (Open All Hours and Birds of a Feather are two examples) but not if there completely new actors playing the characters (Reggie Perrin as a example).

I will put in a vote for The Upper Hand, as long as its with the original actors

I got to agree with you on some shows philosopher clegg, if there brought back though with original characters I think they should be (Open All Hours and Birds of a Feather are two examples) but not if there completely new actors playing the characters (Reggie Perrin as a example).

I will put in a vote for The Upper Hand, as long as its with the original actors

Still Open All Hours will have to try and overcome the absence of the biggest character in Arkwright and Ronnie Barker. The one off didn't have much of a story to it and the original was essentially about the Arkwright/Granville and Arkwright/Nurse Gladys relationship, it will be interesting to see what relationships and stories around Granville develops otherwise it could struggle to live up to expectations.

The problem with trying to recreate the past is that so many of those series will have lost actors who played in the original. Many might simply be retired and no longer be interested, healthy or active enough to do a remake.

Keeping up Appearances has been mentioned and Geoffrey Hughes and Mary Millar have both passed on. I believe this series ended originally because Patricia Routledge wanted to move on. Some actors don't necessarily want to keep on doing the same thing and, it has to be said, often only return to something that was successful and give it another go because of a lack of alternatives.

Agree, it is just like a sequel to a movie. It is usually a disaster. They just announce today that Seinfeld was going to get together. Not sure if just for one show or a series. Haven't checked it out. The brains behind it Larry David had a show on cable called , Curb your Enthusiasm, and they had a few shows where the original cast got together talking about having another show. A reunion show. I seen one of them and it was interesting to see how George got married and was going thru a divorce. Makes you wonder where they will be in their lives. I did not watch it when it was a hit. I tend to watch shows in reruns. I wouldn't want LOSW redone. No way. I can except it as it is. Just pop in my DVD and enjoy. :)

I think First of the Summer Wine could be made with different actors and still come across well as only a few episodes were made in the first place. :dance: :dance:

Keeping Up Appearances would be good. Its a bit like Summer wine, easy to watch. Also As Time Goes By another easy one to watch.

You know Susan, it is interesting. As Time Goes By is one of my favorite shows but the basic plot is couple reunites, daughter finds, loses love, finds it again, etc. I normally wouldn't be attracted to a show like that, however, it was just so great watching Jean and Lionel all those years. My wife and I see ourselves in their characteristics a lot. Although I don't think a remake of that would be so good.

Thinking of what shows would make good remakes is different than just naming your favorite shows. The show I grew up on, thanks to my dad, was Fawlty Towers. Think of the plot; Irritable hotel owning couple, quirky employees, and difficult quests. I think that is a gold mine of unlimited storylines!

You also mentioned Keeping Up Appearances. I too like the show and especially enjoy seeing Richard dragged through so many predicaments. However, it seems like the episodes just sort of ended up being the same; Hyacinth comes up with a scheme and it backfires (often due to family interference). I still like the show a lot but don't necessarily see that one as having great remake ability.

I will probably be in a minority here, but I usually don't like series either being brought back or remade once they have had their time. This is especially true for comedies that were very successful first time around and are given the "classic" title. The reason for this is simple in that it is almost impossible to recreate the success that went before. I can't think of any that went on and on or came back that maintained the high standard that made it a classic.

And Philosopher Clegg, I have read many of your posts and I firmly get (and respect) that you think good thinks should be left alone and not try to be duplicated. Ultimately you are probably correct. I can't speak for others on this site, but I for one am a dreamer. I can't help but to imagine what if Summer Wine or other shows went on. If they had the right cast, could it become great again? So I may esire to see Fawlty Towers remade or Summer Wine continue, but I also realize the remakes would not be identical.

I also think of Summer Wine as a bit of a fantasy/ dreamlike show (moreso the retirement years than the redundant years). Just thinking of three elderly guys, wandering around the Yorkshire countryside, going for an occasional tea or beer and gettingmixed up with a variety of barmpots. It almost seems dreamlike to me. I fantasize about my own retirement being like this and I simply dream and desire to see more of it.

Oh I remember the Upper hand. Wasn't it Joe McGann and Diane Weston. I think one of the children was Kellie Bright. He was a housekeeper I think.

Cod, I'm not saying we should or even could remake/bring back these great shows. I for one don't think we have the talent in this country any more and having forced myself to watch Mrs Browns Boys the other night ( Just see what the fuss was about) I now have that thought reinforced!
I think the thread was started to see what kind of programs we fantasise about being brought back and people seem to have been offended by some of the answers, I for one was just answering for the fun of it. Its good to have these discussions with you all I enjoy it but no way do I think this will ever happen. :respect: :D

Cod, I'm not saying we should or even could remake/bring back these great shows. I for one don't think we have the talent in this country any more and having forced myself to watch Mrs Browns Boys the other night ( Just see what the fuss was about) I now have that thought reinforced!
I think the thread was started to see what kind of programs we fantasise about being brought back and people seem to have been offended by some of the answers, I for one was just answering for the fun of it. Its good to have these discussions with you all I enjoy it but no way do I think this will ever happen. :respect: :D
Amen to that :respect:

I hope Susan, that my post wasn't one that you interpreted as taking offense. I read your post last night, reflected on it, and casually responded. I would not be offended by anyone's answer on this thread. It is just interesting to agree or disagree and explain.

Not enough talent in the UK anymore? Wow! The is pessimistic!

The same goes for my response to Philosopher Clegg. I hope he doesn't think my response was brash. I was just trying to explain why I may disagree.

No hard feelings anyone!

Oh I remember the Upper hand. Wasn't it Joe McGann and Diane Weston. I think one of the children was Kellie Bright. He was a housekeeper I think.

that's the one amos

No Cod it isn't.
I like these discussions no offence is/should ever taken, we've butted heads before Cod, I like a challenge ;D

As for the talent, we don't seem to be producing the same caliber of actors any more. Its a bit like movie stars we'll never have another Humphrey Bogart or James Stewart acting seems to have evolved, be it for the better or not, we'll never have another Bill Owen or Michael Bates I think its a generational thing. My grandkids like 1D and I think their rubbish and I like the Chilli Peppers and they think their rubbish but that's how it goes I suppose.
;D ;D

And Philosopher Clegg, I have read many of your posts and I firmly get (and respect) that you think good thinks should be left alone and not try to be duplicated. Ultimately you are probably correct. I can't speak for others on this site, but I for one am a dreamer. I can't help but to imagine what if Summer Wine or other shows went on. If they had the right cast, could it become great again? So I may esire to see Fawlty Towers remade or Summer Wine continue, but I also realize the remakes would not be identical.

I also think of Summer Wine as a bit of a fantasy/ dreamlike show (moreso the retirement years than the redundant years). Just thinking of three elderly guys, wandering around the Yorkshire countryside, going for an occasional tea or beer and gettingmixed up with a variety of barmpots. It almost seems dreamlike to me. I fantasize about my own retirement being like this and I simply dream and desire to see more of it.

All of us here like LOTSW, although some of us like certain periods of it more than others. I'd have no problem with it coming back, but my own preference would be for a totally new trio, perhaps in their 50's, a modern day throwback to the earlier series. I realise that others would perhaps prefer a more gentler older age version. The one thing I wouldn't want to see is a remake with new actors playing the roles of Compo, Clegg and Foggy etc. I'm guessing that most here might be horrified at that thought? Yet this is what remakes are essentially about, new actors coming in playing the original roles that were made great by others. The alternative, new characters, can be hit and miss and TV companies are not known for keeping something going just because it was great some time in the past.

Fawlty Towers is an interesting one, if only because it originally ran for 2 series and only 12 episodes. We can desire more, but John Cleese who wrote it with his then wife Connie Booth didn't want to do anymore. So, unfortunately it never can come back without Cleese having a change of heart, which to this day he's never had despite the financial issues in recent years that he's had and the obvious money spinner you would have thought a return of Fawlty Towers would be. In a recent poll, Fawlty Towers was the one series that came top that people wanted to see remade.

"Unfortunately though, those Fawlty fans wanting to see more of Basil, Sybil, Polly and Manuel are unlikely ever to have their wish granted. Speaking to The Guardian in 2009 about the decision to end the show, John Cleese said: "[Connie and I] both felt we had done our best. We just knew if we did more it wouldn't be as good."

And, despite sharing an idea for a Fawlty Towers film which would have involved Basil hijacking a plane while travelling to to Spain, Cleese conceded: "I don't think I ever mentioned it to Connie. We didn't put a single line down."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-01-03/bring-back-fawlty-towers-say-british-tv-fans-

Here are the survey’s ten most-wanted TV returns in full:

1. Fawlty Towers
2. One Foot in the Grave
3. The Muppet Show
4. The Good Life
5. The A-Team
6. Birds of a Feather
7. Dad’s Army
8. The Bill
9. The Office
10. The Generation Game

No LOTSW!

I hope Susan, that my post wasn't one that you interpreted as taking offense. I read your post last night, reflected on it, and casually responded. I would not be offended by anyone's answer on this thread. It is just interesting to agree or disagree and explain.

Not enough talent in the UK anymore? Wow! The is pessimistic!

The same goes for my response to Philosopher Clegg. I hope he doesn't think my response was brash. I was just trying to explain why I may disagree.

No hard feelings anyone!

Not at all and no offence was meant to anyone who may feel that my comments were harsh on what is meant to be a lighthearted subject.

Back