True but funny pandemic story.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I am in somewhat of a pickle. My neighbour lives alone and, like me, is ancient. He lost his wife before the pandemic. I would like to contact him so that we could exchange email addresses and have a natter. Several times I have phoned him to try and find out if he uses his computer for the purpose of emails. He spends lots of money on always buying the best but, he never reads the instructions that come with his purchases. We both have the same problem in that our legs are passed their wobble by date so we are both incapable of walking. When I call him on the phone he cannot hear me. He asks me for my number because he claims he doesn't know it. He has a phone that does everything but boil eggs and any callers numbers are shown on a dial, hence my number is there right in front of him. The nurse has just been round with a note from him. He wants me to call him and give him my number so that he can ring me back and have a chat. I don't understand why he thinks that he will be able to hear me better by him ringing me. This whole situation is quite ludicrous. The only answer I can see to this situation is homing pigeons. I do know that if I do call him he will ask me for my phone number and then to wait while he gets a pen and paper to write it down. I will ask him to let me know when he has found a pen and paper and I know for certain he will say "I'll ring you back."
This is a true story. ....... Any ideas?:confused:

I think best bet is the Nurse . If you sent him a text when you know the Nurse is there [pre arrange it with her] then the Nurse could help him save the number from your text in his contacts and also make you a favourite so he can click favourites and your contact number will appear . Similarly if you arranged with the Nurse to call him when the Nurse is there even if its unanswered the Nurse could again save you in the contact list and mark you as a favourite . If he selects Favourites or sees you in the contact list then you can make the call from that selection.

If its a top of the range phone then probably has a speed dial function so one you have been saved to contact list the Nurse could turn speed dial on and and you to a key location so he only has to press one key [whichever number they decide to use] and he will be able to ring you if you think he will struggle with negotiating through the contacts.

I think best bet is the Nurse . If you sent him a text when you know the Nurse is there [pre arrange it with her] then the Nurse could help him save the number from your text in his contacts and also make you a favourite so he can click favourites and your contact number will appear . Similarly if you arranged with the Nurse to call him when the Nurse is there even if its unanswered the Nurse could again save you in the contact list and mark you as a favourite . If he selects Favourites or sees you in the contact list then you can make the call from that selection.

If its a top of the range phone then probably has a speed dial function so one you have been saved to contact list the Nurse could turn speed dial on and and you to a key location so he only has to press one key [whichever number they decide to use] and he will be able to ring you if you think he will struggle with negotiating through the contacts.
Thanks Captain. I'll keep you informed.

I am in somewhat of a pickle. My neighbour lives alone and, like me, is ancient. He lost his wife before the pandemic. I would like to contact him so that we could exchange email addresses and have a natter. Several times I have phoned him to try and find out if he uses his computer for the purpose of emails. He spends lots of money on always buying the best but, he never reads the instructions that come with his purchases. We both have the same problem in that our legs are passed their wobble by date so we are both incapable of walking. When I call him on the phone he cannot hear me. He asks me for my number because he claims he doesn't know it. He has a phone that does everything but boil eggs and any callers numbers are shown on a dial, hence my number is there right in front of him. The nurse has just been round with a note from him. He wants me to call him and give him my number so that he can ring me back and have a chat. I don't understand why he thinks that he will be able to hear me better by him ringing me. This whole situation is quite ludicrous. The only answer I can see to this situation is homing pigeons. I do know that if I do call him he will ask me for my phone number and then to wait while he gets a pen and paper to write it down. I will ask him to let me know when he has found a pen and paper and I know for certain he will say "I'll ring you back."
This is a true story. ....... Any ideas?:confused:

Is he near enough to try string with a tin attached at each end?

Since he always buys to-of-the-line, does he wear the latest hearing-aids? In April, I was fitted with hearing aids equipped with artificial intelligence, so they not only increase the volume of speech, they selectively increase the volume of the consonants. In their natural state, consonants are high-pitched and low volume, which makes them difficult to hear, also converting words to gibberish. In addition, they come with technology to connect the phone to the hearing aids using Bluetooth. That immensely increases understandability. Under the US philosophy governing healthcare funding, they cost an arm and a leg, but well worth it for those who don't have to forego any essentials (adequate nutrition, weathertight shelter, climate-appropriate clothing, etc.) to pay for them.

Back