Trio at the Packhorse bridge,and today..

Pete.

Dedicated Member
SW1%20003_zpszobacgkf.jpg
Marsden%203-15%20006_zpskbku841u.jpg

Having been to H'firth and Marsden we know where several of these
28 Steps photos were taken, but not all of them.

Could someone post a note saying where each shot was taken??

Many Thanks, 'n all.

chuck

a new casting?

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but I had a few spare minutes and here's my version of the trio at the bridge. The bossy one, the scruffy one and the 'normal' one. It's not brilliant in pose (cleggy's head is not quite in the right direction for one thing) myversion2.jpgor trimming, but may give a chuckle.

I do wish someone had done figures like this for LOTSW. Think of the possibilities.

Are they Dr Who figures ? :D

Yes, they are part of a set of all the Dr Who's up to Matt Smith. I just happen to have them lying around and they were the right size to fit the photo. A little mor effort would have produced a better result.

Having been to H'firth and Marsden we know where several of these
28 Steps photos were taken, but not all of them.

Could someone post a note saying where each shot was taken??

Many Thanks, 'n all.

chuck
Hi Chuck,
Sometimes I come across places as I'm walking,I walk a lot in the South Pennines,and Marsden Moor and the Stanza Stones and all that area,and I also watch at least two episodes of Summerwine every day,so I often watch an episode and recognise the places,like Eli dressed as a vampire,its just down from where I park my car in Marsden,and I recognised it after watching the episode,think it was Glamour of the uniform,but not sure,I watch that many,here is where I took each photo :
TRULY'S STILE and
LENNIE ON THE WALL were both taken at Holme Styes Reservoir,behind Barry and Glenda's house.
TRIO AT THE BRIDGE was the Eastergate Packhorse bridge at Marsden,along the canal to the Standedge tunnel then just a bit further,if you look at that photo,the river goes to the right at the bridge,and that is where the ALVIN AT RIVER photo was taken.
The POST BOX was taken on Binn Road,Marsden,
If you look at the CAB photo you will see the post box,and right next to it is the
CAB OFFICE on Carrs Road,Marsden,
COMPO'S BOOKIES is the end shop on Peel Street,Marsden,
and just further down Peel Street is the CORNER SHOP,
AUNTIES SHOP is on Oliver Lane,
Both Marsden pubs are on STATION ROAD,as is Eli as the VAMPIRE,
THE WEIR is on Weirside,at the end of the lane where Aunties shop is,
The SEEYA COMPO HILL is on Wessenden Road,Marsden,as is the REST photo,
All the photo's were taken on the same morning,and are near each other,
on Tuesday I am going to Ramsden Reservoir,and if I put a photo up,it will be from there,
All the best,Pete.

Many many thanks for that. Wife and I will go thru the pix and the
locations to see where we have been and what we have seen.

Many of the locations in Marsden we have seen, including
Auntie's shop, but never seen Holme Styles Reservoir that
we know of. (The reservoir we have seen is when you walk
from Marsden past Tunnel End Inn and up thru the fields.)

Also not seen the Seeya Compo hill.

thanks again

chuck

Trio at the Packhorse bridge , and today

As an aside and observation it strikes me that if you asked anyone which place was most associated with LOTSW everyone would answer Holmfirth but from the locations identified here a considerable amount of the action actual took place in Marsden[and others to boot] yet in most dialogues regarding the show it never really gets a mention except amongst forums such as this .

As an aside and observation it strikes me that if you asked anyone which place was most associated with LOTSW everyone would answer Holmfirth but from the locations identified here a considerable amount of the action actual took place in Marsden[and others to boot] yet in most dialogues regarding the show it never really gets a mention except amongst forums such as this .
I'v always thought that Captain,Holmfirth gets all the headlines,but I think Marsden,which never gets a mention,is a lovely,pretty village,there are hills and rivers and a beautiful canal and locks and visitor centre,and the town itself is lovely with not the slightest hint of any association with LOTSW,and as you say,there are lots of locations there,its just that Holmfirth has the café and Noras house,Marsden was on BBC Countryfile a couple of weeks ago,theres a trail that's there called the Stanza Stones,its 47 miles long in total and a stonemason and poet spent years carving poems into the rocks and natural landscape,the first one is called Snow and its written into rocks on Pule Hill which is next to where this trio packhorse bridge photo was taken.

That is great!! Thank you!!! I love when folks post show locations then and what it looks like now!! Good show that man!!

Hi Darin,nice to hear from you,hope you and your family are well,I'v not been on here for ages due to work and other things,and after tomorrow am back to the 12 (14) hour days,I love seeing the locations as they are now too,its been really nice here today so have been out again,in an hour or so going to put a few more photos up from where I'v been today,been to Nora's house and the spot where Wesley's shed was,and to Edie's house,and to Ramsden reservoir where I'v got some then and now photo's including Howard dressed as a German soldier,then I think that's it for a while before I get any time off again,take care of yourself and your family mate.Pete.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but I had a few spare minutes and here's my version of the trio at the bridge. The bossy one, the scruffy one and the 'normal' one. It's not brilliant in pose (cleggy's head is not quite in the right direction for one thing) View attachment 632or trimming, but may give a chuckle.

I do wish someone had done figures like this for LOTSW. Think of the possibilities.

Love this!

Back