Train Spotting

paulsp

Although my great love is fishing and i spend 2 nights most weeks camped out on a lake in Yorkshire or the Midlands my second love is location spotting from LOTSW episodes. Its a great excuse to see parts of the coutryside that you wouldn't normally visit. It might be to find a post box or anything obscure and you get a great feeling of nostalgia when you find something that hasn't changed since 20 or 30 years ago. My kids think i'm wierd and put it on a par with train spotting. When we go out walking they know its LOTSW related but i know they don't mind especially when they see something tangible that they have seen on TV.

They're not big walkers however and have declined my offer to go on a much longer hike with the opportunity to take in more locations no matter how obscure.

I plan to park up in Hepworth or Jackson Bridge and do a circular walk of 15 to 20 miles can anyone advise me with a suitable route?

Well if you park in Holmfirth, follow the SW Walk (available
in the TIC) down to Holme Bridge, around the reservoirs,
out to Holme (The Fleece pub), then across the valley and
the reservoirs and up the other side of the valley, then
over to Scholes (Boot and Shoe), over to Jackson Bridge,
then Hepworth (Butcher's Arms), then back to Scholes,
then to Totties, then up to Wooldale, back along Cliff Bank,
and back into Holmfirth (The Nook).

That do ya???

That just might do me.

I'll do a bit of map reading and get back to you if I have any queries.

Thanks for now.

Good luck with all that - if you take a camera I am sure we woudl all be interested to see the results.

Oh btw, when hiking from Holmfirth up the valley, us the
LOTSW walk (free from the tic) to get you off the main
road and over the fields. A bit tricky but very worthwhile.

You start up into Upperthong, across the road and down
thru a farm, then up into another small village. You
come down around Hinchliffe Mill, then back up thru the
fields, over the top, and come down near Bilberry Reservoir.

When you leave the pub in Holme, cross the road,
then down thru the fields. You will wind uphill, then
back along the river but up on the hills. You come down
briefly in Hinchliffe Mill again before going up the side of
the river, behind an old mill, and back up into Holmfirth.

Then it's over the top to Jackson Bridge and all...

Thanks for all the information. I will be taking my camera. My daughter thinks i'm very strange when in the past i've excitedly asked her to download images of post box's,terraced houses,bus shelters etc etc. onto my computer from my camera.

Its good to see a location in an episode and then go out for the day to find it but its even more fun just stumbling across one.

Back