Toys.( Part 3,)

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I have posted before twice about Toys that we had when we were younger here are a few more.

Action jack
Top trumpcards
Jonny seven
Brit Quiz.( board game.)
A tomytronic 3d handheld game.
Starbird.

I could name loads more. I would like to hear from some of our newer members on this topic. But of course anyone else can chip in.

I've still got my action man circa 1973, other toys we had were......screaming demons, evil kinevil stunt bike, wall walkers, squirbels, striker, subbuteo, slinky, pocketeers, space hopper. fort/castle and soldiers, pea shooter, bb guns.......... plus all the usual boardgames.... ludo, cluedo, monopoly, snakes and ladders, mouse trap, buckaroo........

Having grown up (maybe??) outside of Boston in the 1940's,
I don't remember that we had that many "named" toys. Of
course we had squirt guns and cap pistols, Monopoly, puppets,
gyroscopes, wax mustaches and the like, but nothing like
the abundance of named (and costly) kidz stuff that came
along in the later 50's and on, and were expected to appear
under Christmas trees.

My recollection - Meccano - what our US cousins would call an Erector Set (I think). And Hornby train sets - at the beginning clockwork.

I do recall in my early years visiting the US regularly buying Tonka trucks and suchlike for my son and nephews. One nephew came out with now famous family line, 'Uncle Frank is rich. He buys Tonkas.

OK, OK, maybe in my old age I forgot those! Did have a Lionel
O gauge, an Erector set, and a small chemistry set. Never really
thought of those as "toys." But in all honesty I had forgotten
about them entirely (he says as he bangs on his brain). Also
had a Columbia bicycle that had to be welded back together
about at the pedal box due to childish activities.

did any of you older guys like me make their own "soap carts, or trolleys " we used to call them "bogeys" in leeds but I think that was named after the railway trucks, not the snotty meaning.....old pram wheels with a wooden frame board affixed and steered with a cord attatched to the front axle......had more fun with these than any commercial toy in the late fifties and sixties.

Blimey, i forgot about Meccano and Lego, i remember we had a plastic version of Meccano as well. Gremlin, we had what we called Go Carts, some were bought[ with hand brakes etc] and some we built with pram wheels and planks of wood and rope or string to steer with just like you did. This was in the early 70s. When my friends Grandad chatted to us about our machines he called them Bogeys as well - he was a Geordie from Newcastle, i think Brummies also called them this.
We spent hours flying down the slope in the sandhills next to the golf course as kids on ours. Building tree houses was another pastime :)

....forgot to mention the chemistry set. Didn't follow any sort of procedure, just seemed to mix things up and hope for the best ;)

did any of you older guys like me make their own "soap carts, or trolleys " we used to call them "bogeys" in leeds

Used to call them a Gig or a go-cart, or officially, a
Soap Box Derby Racer. No motor. Big board with
four "baby-coach" wheels, and a rope to steer.

Back