3.Wesley
4.Ivy
5.Nora
6.Billy Hardcastle
7.Howard
8.Pearl
9.Smiler
10.Auntie Wainwright

An excellent thread George, I've often thought about this.
On first view, I'm finding it hard to disagree with that. I've got an evening of Red Wine and Cigars planned, so I will have a think.
Good work maestro. I have to say that I really enjoy your contribution to this board.

Excluding the trio's (up o Truly) my top 10 characters are

1.Sid
2.Wally
3.Wesley
4.Ivy
5.Nora
6.Billy Hardcastle
7.Howard
8.Pearl
9.Smiler
10.Auntie Wainwright
:D No real arguments George , to make up the dozen I'd have to add Marina and Edie tho! ;)

An excellent thread George, I've often thought about this.
On first view, I'm finding it hard to disagree with that. I've got an evening of Red Wine and Cigars planned, so I will have a think.
Good work maestro. I have to say that I really enjoy your contribution to this board.

Thanks Chuffer that's really nice of you.This board helps keep me sane and keeps the show alive.I must admit that the fact that the people on it keep it frendly is one of it's most positive attributes.
Enjoy your wine and cigars and have a great evening.

Oddly enough i had been thinking along similar lines to George for a while now but mine included the trio up to the end of the second Foggy era,so i hope he dosnt mind if i include them.My fav character of all is Foggy and thought that Brian Wilde played him brilliantly.
1..Foggy
2..Cleggy
3..Compo
4..Wally
5..Sid
6..Wesley
7..Nora
8..Marina
9..Ivy
10..Smiler.

I would have loved to have seen more with Sid and Wally and loved the way they interacted with the trio.I would also be interested to know if anyone has a least fav character or one/s that they never really warmed to,so to speak.

Hector

great question my favs are:
1. wally (reminds me of myself)
2. sid (also similar to me - quite odd that)
3. nora
4. ivy
5. wesley
6. howard
7. pearl
8. marina
9. smiler
10. auntie wainwright.

Oddly enough i had been thinking along similar lines to George for a while now but mine included the trio up to the end of the second Foggy era,so i hope he dosnt mind if i include them.My fav character of all is Foggy and thought that Brian Wilde played him brilliantly.
1..Foggy
2..Cleggy
3..Compo
4..Wally
5..Sid
6..Wesley
7..Nora
8..Marina
9..Ivy
10..Smiler.

I would have loved to have seen more with Sid and Wally and loved the way they interacted with the trio.I would also be interested to know if anyone has a least fav character or one/s that they never really warmed to,so to speak.

Hector
hey Hector my least fav is The Captain, my better half dislikes Entwhistle most(she much preferred Wesley) :)

Thanks Chuffer that's really nice of you.This board helps keep me sane and keeps the show alive.I must admit that the fact that the people on it keep it frendly is one of it's most positive attributes.
Enjoy your wine and cigars and have a great evening.

It's the same for me mate, it's my little hidey hole away from the rest of the world. It's a place where I know people are friendly without having to know them and I can talk about the thing I love most of all without anyone spoiling it. I like the cosy homely atmosphere on here, I love the knowledge, the quizzes and the general chat. I'd miss it if it wasn't here.

in response to the question, I think my list of 10 would be...

1 Sid
2 Wally
3 Nora
4 Ivy
5 Wesley
6 Billy
7 Auntie
8 Howard
9 Marina
10 Edie

My top ten would be very similar

Sid
Wally
Ivy
Norah
Wesley
Billy
Howard
Pearl
Auntie
Marina

it is interesting that nobody, so far, has mentioned Barry or Glenda - is it an age thing?

I actually find it hard to differentiate in position between Sid or Wally - both gave stirling support from the sidelines - the wistful look of still being "under control from domestic authorities" when the trio were up to their usual tricks...

part of me feels that when they were around it represented some of the finest stuff ever. However, a little unfair as I have probably watched those episodes more than some of the later ones.

My top ten would be very similar

Sid
Wally
Ivy
Norah
Wesley
Billy
Howard
Pearl
Auntie
Marina

it is interesting that nobody, so far, has mentioned Barry or Glenda - is it an age thing?

I actually find it hard to differentiate in position between Sid or Wally - both gave stirling support from the sidelines - the wistful look of still being "under control from domestic authorities" when the trio were up to their usual tricks...

part of me feels that when they were around it represented some of the finest stuff ever. However, a little unfair as I have probably watched those episodes more than some of the later ones.
mine are very similar:
Wally
Sid
Nora
Ivy
Wesley
Edie
Howard
Marina
Pearl
Billy

I too watch the episodes with Wally & Sid more than some of the later ones.

Top Ten....wow, that's difficult. A top five might be easier however I managed to come up with my top 10. I lean a little "new school" with my picks so bare with me.

1.Clegg
2. Truly
3. Foggy
4. Edie
5. Smiler
6. Wesley
7. Entwistle
8. Billy
9. Compo
10. Seymour

I know that 9 is a low ranking for Compo for some of you, but I love all ten of those guys (and gal)! I also like Tom, Barry, Auntie Wainwright, the ladies as a group, Barry, and Glenda. I tend to appreciate Tom more than other forum fans.

I know there is a lot of praise for Wally and Sid. They are OK but I just don't get their popularity.

Codfanglers - the original question excluded the trio thus this is why Wally and Sid would feature more. Also they had much bigger roles when there was a much smaller cast in the 1970s and early 1980s.

So five of your top ten are already there as part of the various trios.So ficve more for you to pick!

Codfanglers - the original question excluded the trio thus this is why Wally and Sid would feature more. Also they had much bigger roles when there was a much smaller cast in the 1970s and early 1980s.

So five of your top ten are already there as part of the various trios.So ficve more for you to pick!
OK Thanks for clearing that up Barmpot. Then Sid and Wally would make it after all. My other top five would be...

1. Auntie Wainwright
2. Wally
3. Eli
4. Barry
5. Glenda

I think they were two well crafted and well written supporting cast who had a certain charm,charisma and appeal to a lot of viewers.They were underdogs to their respective battle axe wives and apparently,the British public at large, just love an underdog. ;D.The situations we saw them in were funny and enjoyable and i only wish they had been included a lot more than they actually were. :(

Hector.

I think they were two well crafted and well written supporting cast who had a certain charm,charisma and appeal to a lot of viewers.They were underdogs to their respective battle axe wives and apparently,the British public at large, just love an underdog. ;D.The situations we saw them in were funny and enjoyable and i only wish they had been included a lot more than they actually were. :(

Hector.
Thanks for clearing that up Hector. I guess the more I think about it Sid and Wally are popular because they seem so real. The more I reflected on this topic the more I realized I appreciate them. Sid ended up making my top ten list after all. It was amusing how much abuse he took from Nora. I also might have a 90s and 2000s bias when it comes to Summer Wine characters because that is my favorite era. I do recognize great moments from the 70s and 80s.

......had been included a lot more than they actually were. :(

Hector.

I am guessing here, but it seems the trio had a much larger role in earlier episodes thus the opportunites for Sid or Wally would be less - both provided the sort of help that eventually ended up with Wesley, in provision of transport or equipment and so on ...

Back