Tom's Waldo dog puppet question of sorts

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Do any of you know of a mini-version of Tom's Waldo dog puppet available? Or, something that looks similar? Or, another Last of the Summer Wine iconic type item - a small Welly, perhaps?

I ask because I had an interesting idea occur to me the other night while planning visiting locations of greater Holmfirth to eventually visit and photograph. A combination of the 'Where's Waldo? game' and the movie Amelie's 'traveling garden gnome.'

Figure most are familiar with the Where's Waldo? For those not familiar with the movie Amelie one of the sub plots, roughly, is a young lady sneaks her dad's garden gnome away and lends it to an airline stewardess friend. The dad is shocked his gnome was taken but then even more so dumbfounded when 'selfie-style' Polaroid pictures start showing up in the mail addressed to him of the gnome at different locations around the world - see attached picture. Eventually the gnome reappears back in the garden after it's travels with her dad no wiser to what was going on. She did this to try to encourage him pursue an old dream of his to travel after his wife (her mom) passed. A charming and clever movie with the lovely and talented Audrey Tautou who reminds me of a French version of a young Grace Kelly.

My idea was to create a "Where's (Tom's) Waldo / Rick" type thread on here and post daily pics of scenic Holmfirth spots with myself or 'Waldo' in some clever fashion. Then have those interested guess the location and possibly offer suggestions of locations to visit and photograph next.

Chances are it won't be for another few years so I do have time to plan and try to be creative.

Cheers,
Rick

Amelie-gnomes.jpg

If you can’t find a random Waldo lookalike on eBay etc I know someone who makes little felt figures of peoples pets. I’ve had our three Jack Russells done by her and they are so life like. They’re only small but would look good using perspective I reckon.
3DCFFF11-A29B-4A6D-92D7-1D1E2BA3E139.jpeg

Those are amazing, ferret! She does great work. You have given me the idea of maybe a cute, small ferret as a nod to Compo.

The ones I have looked at on eBay / Amazon are a bit larger than what I had in mind. They were about a foot or so long. Was thinking something more jacket pocket sized. Since I will be mostly on foot it needs to be a manageable size. Don't wish to alarm the locals with carrying an oversized stuffed Gizmo around. I'd feel like Barry with his inflatable dinosaur. :)

Back