"To be as little children" – that was him.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Truly: D'you think the dead ever see a sunrise?
Clegg: Yes, I do, actually.
Truly: Even those who don't get up very early?
Clegg: Even them. Maybe that's what Paradise is: a place where the sun doesn't come up until you're ready.
Truly: You think he was heavenly material, do you?
Clegg: Certainly. "To be as little children" – that was him.
tve13288-190-20000102-0.jpg

Truly: D'you think the dead ever see a sunrise?
Clegg: Yes, I do, actually.
Truly: Even those who don't get up very early?
Clegg: Even them. Maybe that's what Paradise is: a place where the sun doesn't come up until you're ready.
Truly: You think he was heavenly material, do you?
Clegg: Certainly. "To be as little children" – that was him.
View attachment 1345

Beautiful words from Roy Clarke.

It's this kind of dialogue that appeals to me the most in LOTSW, there is more to the show than the so-called 'three men in a tin bath' image conjured up by many, a scenario which didn't even occur AFAICT.

The trilogy of episodes covering Compo's passing are still hard to watch to this day. I get teary-eyed knowing the actor who played Compo Simmonite is no longer with us. "To be as children" is a classic Biblical quote, and I think it fits Compo's personality to a tee. If Compo was a real person, I think he would be a Heavenly candidate, even though he periodically questioned the existence of God and the afterlife in several episodes. At the end of the day, if you could look past that and his other vices, he had that same care-free innocence that every child has, and that's what made the character so appealing. R.I.P. Bill Owen.

Back