Tinkers Monument.

Pete.

Dedicated Member
Hi everyone,
A much brighter day today,so being off work this week,decided to take a walk up Tinkers Monument.
Tinkers Monument is a lovely hilly area used a lot throughout the whole series,its just up from Jackson Bridge,in fact I parked my car at the end of that short track that leads up to Howard/Pearls and Cleggys house,just up from the White Horse.
Theres a photo of the bench that they sometimes sit on,which overlooks the beautiful arched bridge seen in "Of Passion and Pizza" and "All of a Florrie" and just up from there is the small hill and grassy area that has been seen many times,and other views that may look familiar.
On my way back I passed the church that was used in "Uncle of the Bride" where Barry arrived for the wedding in the self propelled wheelbarrow,before it crashed into the wall beside the gate in the photo.
Also called into the Butchers Arms,a pub used several times,my favourite scene there is the one where Howard,in his pilots uniform is being dragged away by Pearl,watched by Cleggy,Truly,Billy and Entwhistle enjoying a pint,in "Who's that merry man with Billy then",I sat at the same table :)
Ended the walk back at the White Horse,complete with Christmas tree.
Finally,the last photo (if theyre in order)
Every time I go for a walk I look out for the big barn with the big arched door in the middle,it was used a lot in the early series when it was derelict,but I heard it was now renovated and a family home,but have never been able to find it,could this be it ?
I usually take photos when I go walking,but just thought I would share some of them with you,
Pete x

Attachments

• 2-12-14 004.jpg
    2-12-14 004.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2-12-14 007.jpg
    2-12-14 007.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 30
  • 2-12-14 010.jpg
    2-12-14 010.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-12-14 005.jpg
    2-12-14 005.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-12-14 006.jpg
    2-12-14 006.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2-12-14 008.jpg
    2-12-14 008.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-12-14 009.jpg
    2-12-14 009.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-12-14 002.jpg
    2-12-14 002.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-12-14 001.jpg
    2-12-14 001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 2-12-14 003.jpg
    2-12-14 003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-12-14 012.jpg
    2-12-14 012.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-12-14 011.jpg
    2-12-14 011.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 26
I recognise all those places as if I live there. Thank you for the lovely pictures :)

Tinker's Monument

Thank you for sharing the terrific photos, they were just like some of the scenes I'm familiar with. I just wish that Foggy, Clegg and Compo were still in the shots.

Thanks Pearl and happyjack,
I'm fortunate that I can combine my interests of walking and Summerwine,and that I live near enough to go walking to some of the places I see in the episodes,I have always taken photos,and have an album with my favourite walks around the area,and since joining this site decided to share the photos from my new walks for those members abroad or not able to get here,especially up the hills and the more remote,less accessible places,
Thankyou sewellb,
To be honest,I had never heard of Tinkers Monument,I bought a book from Ivy's café called The making of Last of the summer wine by Malcolm Howarth,the official photographer,who was a local who became known to the crew through Paul Backhouse,the son of the landlord of the White Horse,he also helped find the locations,he says in the book that a beautiful hilltop known to locals as Tinkers Monument was used extensively throughout the whole series,
The locations for the series are spread over an area over several miles,mainly Holmfirth,Marsden and Jackson Bridge,so it was lovely to have a morning where I parked near to Cleggs house,did a fairly short walk along all the familiar places,and ended up at the White Horse,just like in an episode,
And I too around every corner expected to see Compo,Foggy and Clegg etc,
Pete x

Last edited:
Thanks Dennisbn514 :)
I'd never been up there but I seemed to recognise every turn of the corner,everywhere looked so familiar,on my way down,towards the arched bridge,that converted barn,from the other side from where I took the photo,looked even more like it,the building looked the same and the area around it from that area below was exactly like it,I passed the time of day with an old chap in his garden below it,and it never crossed my mind to ask if he'd lived there long and if they used to film at the barn when it was derelict,
I'm in two minds whether to go for another walk again this week,its cold,gloomy,and dark at 3.30 pm,its much better in the spring and summer months,
Thankyou for the comments and likes,
Pete x

Hi Pete,I have been to that spot many times and I could sit on the bench for hours on a nice day,a couple of pictures I took in July this year,one is part of my family during a visit when my daughter graduated,the other was a evening shot over the lake below

Attachments

• HV1.jpg
    HV1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 21
  • HV2.jpg
    HV2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 21
Loved those pictures Terry,thankyou for posting them,
I'd never been up there before,but will certainly be going again,when we have more daylight hours and I can explore further afield.
I wouldn't do half the walks I do without your brilliant locations map,thank you so much,
Planning lots more walks,but at a time when I'm not having to return to car for half three in the afternoon when its dark,next time hope to get up to the Seeya Compo hill and waterfall from Marsden,and also those lovely rocks nearby that Foggy Compo and Clegg sat on at the beginning of "The glamour of the uniform".
Thanks again for sharing the photo's,love to see them,I sat on that bench too for ages looking down on the arched bridge and the lovely views,
Pete x

Back