Throstlenest Farm location?

In another thread, someone said they thought that it was also the site used for Birdie the Bookie's "estate" in A White Sweater and a Solicitor's Letter.

That would be a good site to add to our locations map if we can find it.

Maybe Pete might have snapped a pic of the place in his travels or knows it's location. Hopefully he will chime in sometime if he does. Believe I have his email and can ask if you like. Been a bit since we last spoke, would be a good reason to say Hi and see how things are.

There's a farm/B&B called Throstle Nest Farm (http://throstlenestfarmbandb.co.uk/) just south of Skipton, north of Cononley, at the end of a long drive off Stocksholt Lane. There's another at the end of a long, unnamed lane off Whaites Lane southeast of Asenby.

It seems to be a popular name. I just searched "Throstle Nest Farm, United Kingdom" in Bing Maps and the system suggested five businesses, some of which might be actual farms. I also searched "Throstlenest Farm, United Kingdom" and the system suggested only one business, M J & V a Staveley & Sons, Throstlenest Farm, Skipton, BD23 3QJ, on an unnamed road that runs just south of Eshton Tarn.

All of the above seem quite far afield for a LOTSW location, though.

Of course, it's more likely that Roy Clarke had seen one of the Throstlenest Farms and liked the name, and that Alan Bell used a handy location without regard to its actual name.

Seems more of a popular name than I thought. Always figured it was a made up name until I just did a search on what a "throstle" is. Turns out to be old fashioned term for the song thrush bird. A bit of trivia for the Cliff Clavins out there.

Marianna, I sent off an email to Pete this morning asking if he knew anything about the place. Hope to hear back from him. Will let you know.

Didn`t I see somewhere that the shot of Wesley driving up to Throstlenest was not the driveway to the actual location.

It was probably far away from Holmfirth, they probably didn't want the crowds watching the filming and the terrain doesn't really look like it's even near Holmfirth.

The name is quite prevalent in the Skipton and Malham area, both as rural place names and business names in town.

In the past I have noticed at the Bottom of Mount Road in Marsden this sign, now wood top is further up on the left, but no mention of Throstlenest, so I am wondering if Throstlenest is that first little turn on the right, though I doubt this is where they filmed for the episode, but maybe just stole the name

Attachments

• TN.jpg
    TN.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
... I am wondering if Throstlenest is that first little turn on the right ...

Could be, but the sign at the little turn on the right says only "Public Footpath".

Aside from the two Scarborough episodes and All Mod Conned, did they ever go that far afield for location filming? There's this in the Skipton area.

Possible Throstlenest Farm.jpg

The sign on the gate post says Throstle Nest Farm. It's the B&B that I mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

As you can see in the aerial view, the lane leading to it from the road is very long.

Possible Throstlenest Farm aerial view.jpg

The reason I'm currently hung up on the Skipton area is that I've booked nearly two weeks in July at Newfield Hall, the HF house near Malham.

Could be, but the sign at the little turn on the right says only "Public Footpath".

Aside from the two Scarborough episodes and All Mod Conned, did they ever go that far afield for location filming? There's this in the Skipton area.

View attachment 2150

The sign on the gate post says Throstle Nest Farm. It's the B&B that I mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

As you can see in the aerial view, the lane leading to it from the road is very long.

View attachment 2151

The reason I'm currently hung up on the Skipton area is that I've booked nearly two weeks in July at Newfield Hall, the HF house near Malham.

I hope you find time to do the Settle to Carlisle line while you are there

Don't suppose there is any chance of contacting Alan J W Bell to put us out of our misery Terry ??

Very little chance, I was informed over a year ago he is not in the best of health, and I have had no replies from him in that time and I am a bit loathe to ring him

Back