Three Men And A Mangle.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I've just watched Three Men And A Mangle and have to say the comic writing of the bridge scene is flawless. Its so well written and acted out by all the cast, the look on "Policeman 2" 's face is just magic when he see's the roof and the end scene where Cooper is looking up to see if he can find something to explain it, then just throws his arms up is so funny every time.

I think its one of the best episodes in that series that and What's Nora Getting For Christmas are always worth watching. Not forgetting Crums with the introduction of Auntie Wainwright make it a great way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. :42::42:

OH 78 F is great weather here! (26C) In the area you live in is comparable with our Juno , Alaska. I wouldn't expect you to be able to get use to this heatwave you are experiencing. Think Coooooool.

Last edited:
I know you aren't. Do some people have air conditioning? I know you are closer to the north pole than we in TN are.

Its not really common in domestic homes but I do know people that have it, we rely mainly on ceiling fans and desktop fans. They're like gold dust at the moment. My brother went to a hardware shop the other day to buy one and when he got to the aisle there were three there but by the time he got to the shelf there was one left.

Our summers usually consist of one or two days sunshine followed by a week of rain but we seem to be on roll at the moment. I know some people are enjoying it but the elderly, sick and small children are beginning to flag. I've been getting up early to clean, do washing and shopping at stupid o'clock so I'm not rushing round in the heat. It plays havoc with RA and other illnesses. I couldn't live with your temps I'd be a right miserable mare :D

I've just watched Three Men And A Mangle and have to say the comic writing of the bridge scene is flawless. Its so well written and acted out by all the cast, the look on "Policeman 2" 's face is just magic when he see's the roof and the end scene where Cooper is looking up to see if he can find something to explain it, then just throws his arms up is so funny every time.

I think its one of the best episodes in that series that and What's Nora Getting For Christmas are always worth watching. Not forgetting Crums with the introduction of Auntie Wainwright make it a great way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. :42::42:

Yes, Dorothy ( is it? ), except it always bothers me that I notice how well the mangle was tied up for them to pull after Seymour lassoed it. Perhaps we are to think that they went down and did a proper job? lol. I too love it that Cooper throws his arms up because that seems so unlike him.

Quite agree.

I think its the best episode of the Seymour era, though its not my personal favorite, if that makes any sense. I find "When You Take a Good Bite . . . " and "Crums" a bit more enjoyable, but if I was introducing someone to the Seymour period then "Three Men and a Mangle" is the best way to sell it.

I always find it a bit sad that they ended on such a high note with Seymour (though I do realize he appeared in two more episodes after that - in the following Christmas special and then the short part in "Return of the Warrior.") Its too bad Michael Aldridge wasn't able to do the show any further because "Mangle" is proof Clarke had finally gotten him completely figured out. In fact, I was watching "The Empire that Foggy Nearly Built" from the following series last night and thought the scene where the ladies see Foggy walk by wearing the rubbish bin would have been even funnier if it had been Seymour.

More Seymour is one of the great "what ifs" of LOTSW.

I always find it a bit sad that they ended on such a high note with Seymour (though I do realize he appeared in two more episodes after that - in the following Christmas special and then the short part in "Return of the Warrior.") Its too bad Michael Aldridge wasn't able to do the show any further because "Mangle" is proof Clarke had finally gotten him completely figured out. In fact, I was watching "The Empire that Foggy Nearly Built" from the following series last night and thought the scene where the ladies see Foggy walk by wearing the rubbish bin would have been even funnier if it had been Seymour.

I agree with that last statement about "what if Seymour stayed longer". This is especially because after Foggy's first series back, Summer Wine declined a bit in quality (after Series 12).

However, I will kindly disagree that it wasn't until Three Men and a Mangle that "Clarke had finally gotten him completely figured out." I do believe that the first three episodes of Series nine are outstanding and there are some gems later on in that Series.

Also, perhaps you are correct about "Three Men and a Mangle" being purely the funniest of the Seymour episodes. Maybe not the very best written, but in pure laughs.

I feel a bit ashamed to say 26 :-[:-[:-[
But you have to remember we're not used to this or for so long :35:

Ahhhhh.....26 degrees Celcius. That is what we call here in the Washington DC area "exceptionally beautiful weather".

However, I think difference in weather has sometime to do with the difference of casual dress in the US and UK. When I watch many of the British shows, although most are from the 90's, I am struck how the men are normally seen in sportsjackets, vests, etc. They wear these for the simplest of daily chores. The only time I wear such things is either a weddign or a funeral! In the US, casual wear is so often a shorts & t-shirt, jeans & t-shirt, or maybe a polo shirt.

But the level of casualness might very well have something to do with temperature. In general, the southeast US dresses a little more casually than the northeast. It translates into schools. Teachers are more prone to dress up really well in northeastern states while I find it is more acceptable to be a little more casual in more southern states.

Just an interesting thought.

I promise you Cod we don't all walk around in formal wear despite what they show on the TV, I think we pretty much wear the same sort of clothing. We're just not used to that kind of heat for so long, the odd day or two we can handle but we don't last long when its prolonged :)

26 was one of the cooler days we had been having 28/30 ish around the country . I'm happy to say its much cooler today at 23 which is quite nice for your average Englishman :D

Anyway you should know that has a whole the British nation is obsessed with talking, be it moaning or just general chit chat, about the weather. :14:

I promise you Cod we don't all walk around in formal wear despite what they show on the TV, I think we pretty much wear the same sort of clothing. We're just not used to that kind of heat for so long, the odd day or two we can handle but we don't last long when its prolonged :)

26 was one of the cooler days we had been having 28/30 ish around the country . I'm happy to say its much cooler today at 23 which is quite nice for your average Englishman :D

Anyway you should know that has a whole the British nation is obsessed with talking, be it moaning or just general chit chat, about the weather. :14:

You know, we had this discussion months back about British and American stereotypes and false representation on television. Sorry, if I sounded a bit ignorant about the formal attire of the British. However, it just isn't one or two shows that show British men in jackets, vests, ties, etc. It is pretty much all of the shows from the 70's to 90's that are on our PBS stations; Summer Wine, KUA, Waiting for God, Fawlty Towers, Lionel Hardcastle in As Time Goes By, etc.

On another note about weather, my wife is from Nairobi, Kenya, which is very close to the equator. Do you know that inland Kenya doesn't get that hot at all? It is highly elevated. So despite the fact that we are much further from the equator, she is never comfortable with our humidity. She isn't a fan of our cold either. However, I can never get over her lack of tolerance for weather a little hotter or colder than the norm.

I think its the best episode of the Seymour era, though its not my personal favorite, if that makes any sense. I find "When You Take a Good Bite . . . " and "Crums" a bit more enjoyable, but if I was introducing someone to the Seymour period then "Three Men and a Mangle" is the best way to sell it.

To me, Seymour and Foggy are so different but so similar. Despite having different backgrounds, both served the role of "flawed leader". Both had their pretentious moments. There have been discussions here in the past about different episodes being casted for different third men (ex. various scripts for Blamire in series three). Perhaps, I am not as keen as some of the experts here, but I find that seymour or Foggy could have well been interchanged in most of the episodes from Series 9-12. I could definately see Foggy leading the guys around with the mangle or see Seymour failing to arrange schemes such as that in "The Empire that Foggy Nearly Built." The comic outcomes would be a little different with the switching of the third men but I think the quality of comedy would be equal.

I think the Seymour years are the most interesting, story wise and visually. While I enjoy Foggy's first run more, Seymour's years are some the best episodes, and are certainly much better the than Foggy's second run.

You know, we had this discussion months back about British and American stereotypes and false representation on television. Sorry, if I sounded a bit ignorant about the formal attire of the British. However, it just isn't one or two shows that show British men in jackets, vests, ties, etc. It is pretty much all of the shows from the 70's to 90's that are on our PBS stations; Summer Wine, KUA, Waiting for God, Fawlty Towers, Lionel Hardcastle in As Time Goes By, etc.

On another note about weather, my wife is from Nairobi, Kenya, which is very close to the equator. Do you know that inland Kenya doesn't get that hot at all? It is highly elevated. So despite the fact that we are much further from the equator, she is never comfortable with our humidity. She isn't a fan of our cold either. However, I can never get over her lack of tolerance for weather a little hotter or colder than the norm.

Most of those program are from 70/80/90's and the older generation did tend to dress to excess but we've mellowed in recent years. it took me years to persuade him in doors he didn't need to wear a suit in church or for parties, he was usually the only one there wearing one and he'd moan like billo that he was hot and uncomfortable, me being my usual sympathetic would just shout " Well I told you not to wear it" :20:

I feel for your wife any change in temp, most upwards, has me moaning but then if I wasn't moaning how would anyone know I was there. ;D8)

Back