Thoughts on David Kelly as a potential cast member.

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I watched a little bit of a show called Robin's Nest the other week. For those not familiar with the show it is a spin off of Man About the House. Which also spawned the show George and Mildred. For those here in states, Man About the House was the inspiration for the popular late 70's show Three's Company with John Ritter and The Ropers spin off is the equivalent of George and Mildred. Alvin from LotSW played the character of George (the US version Mr. Roper) with Yootha Joyce as his wife.

Anyways back on point, David Kelly does a humorous job playing a one armed dishwasher for the bistro in Robin's Nest. He was also in a great movie called Waking Ned Devine and had a hilarious role as clueless builder O'Reilly in Fawlty Towers who recklessly gains the ire of Sybil Fawlty and her umbrella. She is every bit as mean with that umbrella as Nora with her brush, Ivy her tray and Pearl with her umbrella!

So I got to thinking David Kelly might have made a fairly funny character addition to Summer Wine. I can see him as a third or fourth man of the group. Or even a side role like Smiler or Eli, etc. He is certainly funny enough, game for a laugh and is capable of mischief. I think he could have blended in nicely with the cast of Summer Wine and the vibe of the show. What are your thoughts? Do you think he could have made a good fit?

Here is a clip of him in Fawlty Towers. The poster cropped it a bit much but you can get the idea. I found him funnier and more likable in Robin's Nest because he was on for several series and could develop his character more. He was very convincing as a one armed helper.

Oh, don't smile, O'Reilly :fp:. Bet he was liking women with a little less 'spirit' after this scene, haha.

He would make a great character genial Irish rogue could be a good stooge for Truly perhaps they met in a previous life when Truly was "of the yard" and David Kelly could have been on the other side of the law once collared by Truly with their paths now crossing on sort of civvy street .

I like how you think, captain. I had not thought far enough ahead in how David would have been introduced. Having crossed paths with Truly is a good idea.

I think he would have been a better replacement for Compo than Alvin and Tom proved to be.

However, when someone is brave enough to replace Compo, would they actually have the nerve to create a new, strong, eccentric character like David Kelly would play?

I think David Kelly would have brought about lots of Irish charm, mischief, energy, drunkenness and incompetence which would have revitalised the show.

Fans of David Kelly should watch both series of Cowboys, a 1980 sitcom, which can be found on YouTube. In this he plays a similar character to those of Fawlty Towers and Robin's Nest.

Rick that is a seriously good call, he played a character in Slingers Day and ill fated ITV comedy with Bruce Forsyth. But basically a clowning workshy layabout a perfect addition to LOTSW. Quick has anybody got access to a time machine!?

Thank you for telling me about Cowboys and Slingers Day. I will need to look them up sometime.

For a while during watching Robin's Nest I seriously though he lost his arm in some sad accident. He played the role so well. They did such a good job of hiding his arm. Wasn't until I saw some later pictures of him online when I was searching out more about him that I thankfully saw he still had both arms intact.

Slingers Day - all the episodes on YouTube, but I warn you now it wasn't the best comedy in the world ! The prequel called Trippers Day with Leonard Rossiter was slightly better

I like Leonard Rossiter from Rising Damp. He did a great job as Rupert Rigsby. Also saw him in Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, as well as the Martin Clunes version. Will need to seek out Trippers Day as well. Thanks.

I did not know they were married! As penny pinching as Rigsby was I wonder if he could have been related to Auntie Wainwright.

Back