The 'What's New' Facility

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Is it me or has the duration for which a new posting will remain in the 'What's New' facility (or the 'New Posts' link) been significantly reduced recently? I thought a recently augmented forum resided there for around 24 hours but now it looks like it has been brought down to about twelve.

Is it me or has the duration for which a new posting will remain in the 'What's New' facility (or the 'New Posts' link) been significantly reduced recently? I thought a recently augmented forum resided there for around 24 hours but now it looks like it has been brought down to about twelve.

That's never been touched. It's handled solely by the software.

That's never been touched. It's handled solely by the software.

Could it be something that has been done as a software update outwith your control. I note that at the moment all four postings on 'What's New' were generated today. I am sure there was a time when they went back about 24 hours.

I have found a way around this for my purposes. On the Forum Home page there are the Top 10 Stats and that includes the 10 Latest Posts.

I've worked part of it out. The "What's New" button is cookie based, so will (should) display anything posted since your last visit. The "New Posts" button is time based, displaying new posts/threads in the previous 24 hours, though I have been told this last one is flakey at the best of times for some reason. I will try and add an overide to one of the buttons, displaying all new threads/posts in the past 24 hours (or longer if you want, let me know).

Regarding silent updates, it can't. Only Administrator has the ability to update, the software is not able to. The software will only let me know when an update is available.

I've worked part of it out. The "What's New" button is cookie based, so will (should) display anything posted since your last visit. The "New Posts" button is time based, displaying new posts/threads in the previous 24 hours, though I have been told this last one is flakey at the best of times for some reason. I will try and add an override to one of the buttons, displaying all new threads/posts in the past 24 hours (or longer if you want, let me know).

Many thanks for your help. I can find no difference between 'What's New' and 'New Posts' buttons. I get the same threads up from each. And something does not seem quite right.

Maybe should explain how I operate. From coming on-line first thing in the morning I never shut down this website. And I never log out. So I am not sure of the implications of your 'will (should) display anything since your last visit'.

But when I came on-line this morning 'What's New' brought up only threads updated since mid-night. That was in spite of the fact that one thread I am following had been updated twice since I went off-line last night.

But in the process of looking at this I have found a new facility. If I hit 'Mark Forum's Read' in the 'What's New' page I get a facility to display all forums updated in the last 24 hours.

Maybe should explain how I operate. From coming on-line first thing in the morning I never shut down this website. And I never log out. So I am not sure of the implications of your 'will (should) display anything since your last visit'.
Strangely enough Terry and I were discussing this last night, wondering how staying logged in would affect that feature.

If I hit 'Mark Forum's Read' in the 'What's New' page I get a facility to display all forums updated in the last 24 hours.
I am changing the "What's New" button to posts in the last 24 hours and see if that works out better. I will have to leave the "New Posts" button alone for people that don't visit as often.

Strangely enough Terry and I were discussing this last night, wondering how staying logged in would affect that feature.

I am changing the "What's New" button to posts in the last 24 hours and see if that works out better. I will have to leave the "New Posts" button alone for people that don't visit as often.

Great!!! Many thanks!!! Just seen the new 'Latest Posts (24) hours' button.

:respect::respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

Just been reading through this, as playing with equipment at present - upgrades et cetera I am noticing this sort of thing more.

Also having to use different browsers as Chrome is no good for me and some things like Google Mail can not be seen in Safari nor Firefox!! So this semi technical stuff is of interest all of a sudden!

Back