The "very" end of the series

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
The "very" end of the series

I don't know if this topic has been covered before or not but I was wondering if anyone else thought that that the end of LOTSW was a bit of a let down? Considering it was the grand finale of 37 years of record breaking TV I felt there should have been maybe an hour long special or a big budget send off,all we got by way of a sign off was the word "very" added to the programme title.The BBC surely missed an opportunity to really stamp its mark on sitcom history by ending the series with a bang.

Re: The "very" end of the series

i agree it was a let down but with how the BBC treated the show it was expected, they didnt want it anymore so treated it like a poor relation, i think a final send off special would have been good or even a 37 year show similar to the 25 and 30 might have been better than 2 shows with a little bit about Last of the Summer Wine and thats even before we open the can of worms about who knew series 31 would be the last one and when they knew.

I truly like "How Not to Cry at Weddings" as an episode. I enjoy the special occasion episodes as well as ones where everyone is together. However, as the swansong, it isn't so appropriate. Making it a solid hour long special would have been great. I heard from others here before when similar topics were covered, that they didn't know the program was going to be axed during its production.

And once again I will share my ignorant American viewpoint on the cancellation of Summer Wine. .... I heard that the Queen enjoyed the show. Couldn't she have saved it?!?!?!

It would've been great to have a series of sw specials where cast leave to round off the series - like howard and pearl moving to france or whatever (get away from marina and keep him in all hours - then finds another woman to go travelling with), the trio becomes a double (hobbo has to leave for a promotion with primrose dairies)

It should have been an hour long 'special', and they should have made five more episodes to round things up to the 300. Apart from that I was content to see it end on a high note.

Back