The Summer Wine book.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I mentioned, a few days ago, about my wife finding a Summer book while searching for some other Summer Wine memorabilia {see 'Did you know?'}.
She showed me the book and I can't recall having bought it or seen it before. The only place I could have bought it from was from Nigel Hinchliffe's shop. I used to go in there quite often. Here are some pictures of the book with details of the publishers, the price and the year of production, 1983. It is full of cartoons similar to Clayes but not coloured and not as well drawn as his. Has anyone else got a copy of this book? It is about a half-inch thick and 9 inches by six.

Attachments

• LOTSW 2.jpg
    LOTSW 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 22
  • LOTSW 3A.jpg
    LOTSW 3A.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 25
  • LOTSW 5B.jpg
    LOTSW 5B.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 29
Not seen it Peri but I have just checked on Amazon and you can buy it for £3.36 plus £2.80 p&p [there are various prices with another 6 books available] all are second hand and are listed as being in various states of condition .

Yes I have got and seen this book many times, it appears if you order most of the ones sold online you do not get this book, Pearl tried many times

So was this comic strip published in the Daily Star at the height of the show and how long did it run for [never read that paper and no desire to] , clearly nowhere near the length of time Andy Capp has appeared in the Mirror [since 1957]

So was this comic strip published in the Daily Star at the height of the show and how long did it run for [never read that paper and no desire to] , clearly nowhere near the length of time Andy Capp has appeared in the Mirror [since 1957]
Don't know about that Captain. I never bothered with newspapers except, Reveille of course. ;)

The code number is wrong, you end up with Getting Sam Home. I now have it because someone eyeballed it for me so I know I was getting the right one.

I’ve twice tried to order the cartoon book but like previously said I ended up with the Getting Sam Home novel (foggy edition) due to a mix up with the ISBN code, I have kept both copy’s as one is in better condition and they were cheap to buy (cost me more just to send back).

I’ve twice tried to order the cartoon book but like previously said I ended up with the Getting Sam Home novel (foggy edition) due to a mix up with the ISBN code, I have kept both copy’s as one is in better condition and they were cheap to buy (cost me more just to send back).
Hello Don and Welcome to the SW group. I'm sure that someone will know where to find the SW cartoon book. I will have a search and, if I find it, will let you know. I look forward to your postings and wish you well in these present times of Lockdown.
Peri.

Thank you, I’ve seen it advertised on eBay a couple of times since but one of those sellers was where I’d tried to buy it from before, so I’m a bit warily now. Keep safe and well
Don

Thank you, I’ve seen it advertised on eBay a couple of times since but one of those sellers was where I’d tried to buy it from before, so I’m a bit warily now. Keep safe and well
Don
There have been a lot of people caught out like that, even me, I'm lucky to have eventually found one. It seems the numbers are the same, you need to buy from someone who can confirm it's the cartoon one. It's a nuisance. Welcome aboard.
I have the Blamire edition, it's a bit old and tatty but I like old and tatty.

Last edited:
Was just about to ask if both books had the same number. I see Pearl answered as I was typing. Thanks.

I’ve just tried again through Amazon uk, the isbn code is different and it’s only £3.99 second hand from a market place seller so was worth a punt, most others on Amazon and eBay are around £12.99- £16.99 mark so not worth taking a chance with.

There have been a lot of people caught out like that, even me, I'm lucky to have eventually found one. It seems the numbers are the same, you need to buy from someone who can confirm it's the cartoon one. It's a nuisance. Well aboard.
I have the Blamire edition, it's a bit old and tatty but I like old and tatty.

I’ve also got both copies Blamire and the later reprint where the publisher just changed Blamire’s name for Foggy but kept Blamire’s characteristics intact

I’ve also got both copies Blamire and the later reprint where the publisher just changed Blamire’s name for Foggy but kept Blamire’s characteristics intact

I know the "Getting Sam Home" book was written before the film came out. Am I right in thinking that it was originally published as a Blamire edition and the Foggy edition came about because he was in the film. I know the film came out after Michael Bates had left the show and Foggy was the current "third man" at the time.

I know the "Getting Sam Home" book was written before the film came out. Am I right in thinking that it was originally published as a Blamire edition and the Foggy edition came about because he was in the film. I know the film came out after Michael Bates had left the show and Foggy was the current "third man" at the time.
Yes, I think it suited Foggy better somehow.

Yes the first edition is Compo, Clegg and Blamire and the later edition is Compo, Clegg and Foggy the only difference is the name change.
It’s a bit hard reading as the foggy character is written for Blamire (swear words and smoking).
Apparently Bill Owen kept pushing for it to be made.

The original was published in 1974 and the later reprint 1983

Attachments

• 2C776FBE-F41D-4D08-B5D4-1D7A27BC33EC.jpeg
    2C776FBE-F41D-4D08-B5D4-1D7A27BC33EC.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes the first edition is Compo, Clegg and Blamire and the later edition is Compo, Clegg and Foggy the only difference is the name change.
It’s a bit hard reading as the foggy character is written for Blamire (swear words and smoking).
Apparently Bill Owen kept pushing for it to be made.

I think it would be hard reading. I couldn't imagine Foggy smoking or swearing. He'd be more likely to discourage that sort of thing. It's true Bill Owen did keep pushing for the film to be made. Apparently the BBC were a bit reluctant at the time, but what a fine job they made of it? I just wonder why the title "Getting Sam Home" never appeared in the books or the film themselves.

I think it would be hard reading. I couldn't imagine Foggy smoking or swearing. He'd be more likely to discourage that sort of thing. It's true Bill Owen did keep pushing for the film to be made. Apparently the BBC were a bit reluctant at the time, but what a fine job they made of it? I just wonder why the title "Getting Sam Home" never appeared in the books or the film themselves.
There are a few odd moments like Foggy and Clegg buying Players cigarettes, Foggy using swear words and Foggy wearing a Trilby.
As both books arrived around the same time I had to read the Blamire version because of the strangeness of the Foggy version.
I’m pretty sure Roy Clarke was never involved in the later edition or he would have reworked the characteristics more to Foggy.

Back