the romantic life of Norman Clegg

Ey-yup, who was the character who married Norman Clegg?
Was his romance to her portrayed on the show “ first of the summer wine?”
Was the character who portrayed Norman Clegg’s future wife played by the same actress who portrayed Miss lovelock on grace and favour?
Ey-up @Eli’sComing not seen you for ages! Lovely to see you back

The lady who played Miss Lovelock was Dilys in First of the Summer Wine. She was interested in Brad who I think may have been Clegg's cousin. Not the cousin we see in the LotSW that moves in with Norm and makes his life a little miserable for a few days. Around the Follow That Bottle episode.

Clegg's wife was Edith and we do not see her in either First or Last of the Summer Wine. We do see a young lady, Anita Pillsworth, who has taken an interest in young Clegg. I think she may work in accounting at the co-op.

Added:
Also from earlier in the thread. Clegg did help deliver the rolls of lino with Sherbet as well as sell them at the store. Don't think he said if he actually installed the lino. Maybe the Co-op had handy men to go round and install the lino after the sale.

Last edited:
Ah thank you kindly RICK!
I’ve been wondering about that
Having only sipped a few episodes of “First-of…” I had been hoping that the Roy Clark sense of fate would have sent the kind-hearted Clegg such a lovely woman as she who played miss lovelock on the grace and favour program
Alas that he had been rushed off his feet by a woman of, shall we say, lesser feminine qualities
Thanks again for the prompt and thorough response
Cheers to all

I would just say that Cleggy, when he was working in the lino shop, would have dealt with taciturn men when ordering the lino, only interested in getting the details correct such as pattern, style, and quantity.

@Eli’sComing , I think that Joanne Heywood as Jessica Lovelock and Fleur Bennett as Mavis Moulterd added some nice plot twists in Grace & Favour (American title: Are You Being Served? Again!). Very nice characters and enjoyed them both in the series. Would have been nice if there were more seasons created.

-----

As you say, I do think that it would have been nice for Roy Clarke to have introduced Clegg's Edith and let us see their daily lives in Holmfirth. Would like to have seen Clegg and Edith as a couple. I'd like to imagine they would be much like a young Barry and Glenda.

You got me thinking there Eli. In the time period between 'First of...' and 'Last of...' Summer Wine who else might Clegg have hung out with? Who were Clegg's best mates? Who did he have a pint of brew with in the pubs after work or a ramble in the countryside? Who might have been other potential 'third men' of the friends? Clegg's desire to go camping (which Edith did not share) shows his desire to be out and about.

It could have been decades until Blamire returned to Holmfirth. Granted, Clegg is working and married which limited the time he could of spent with his mates. Wally, Sid, Sam all had busy working and married lives as well. Can't imagine Clegg's wife Edith allowing Compo to come over for tea and to put his wellie's up on the furniture.

Would have been nice to see Clegg & Edith, Wally & Nora, Sid & Ivy, Howard & Pearl, plus any others to have a friendly get together for a bite to eat and a drink. Interesting conversations. To watch our beloved characters pass the time between and to grow older with 'First of.. and Last of..' Summer Wine.

In between time of 'First of.. to Last of..' random timeline thoughts.
-Clegg - comes back from the war and resumed selling lino again at the Co-op. Meets and marries Edith.
-Compo - returned and was generally the scamp we know as Compo. Was married for a little while.
-Blamire - spent some time in the military away from Holmfirth(decade?). Not sure when he comes back to Holmfirth. I can picture him talking about potential marriage and striving for an executive postion at the Water Board. Can't recall if he was referencing himself or someone else.
-Wally - returns and continues to court Nora. Works with the railroad. We know Wally likes a pint, seen Nora drag him out of a few pubs. Usually not there specifically to hang out with Clegg.
-Foggy - Continues his sign writing exploits with the military away from Holmfirth (decades?). Living in Oswestry before returning to Holmfirth after Blamire leaves.
-Sid and Ivy - when did they take over the cafe? Anyone else run it between them and Hygienic Fisheries as it was named in First of?
-Seymour - Imagine he returns after the war for some time before going off to become a headmaster at a school elsewhere. He's gone for decades before returning for a short time.
-Truly - Don't know much about him other than him being in the police force somewhere else before he came to Holmfirth. Does not seem like he grew up in Holmfirth.
-Sam - Can see him having the odd pint with Clegg. Imagine him too busy with Lilly Bless Her and Sybil.
-Howard and Pearl - as neighbors eventually living next door to Clegg. Not sure I see them as mates or best friends.

Last edited:
You’re absolutely right Rick! It’s as though whole volumes of details about Clegg’s life are left unexplained in between the two series. And of course the others as well, whose lives are shadowy mists after the war. And what is more, still more questions become important to me because of the subtle differences in life stories between the series. Who knew who is perhaps the most mysterious question which presents itself from deep focus on the characters lives. Clegg certainly knew foggy and Compo as children in grade school but utterthwait did not grow up with them. Clegg meets Seymour utterthwait for the first time as an adult in season 8. But later Seymour begins to talk about what Compo was like as a grotty child. And foggy seems to have worked right alongside cleggy as a young adult, as seen in the “first of the summer wine “ but nowhere in the “last of…” is there any reference to any association between the two of them after childhood days. It seems there could have been more emphasis on continuity between the series but then again who the hell am I to try to improve on the life works of Roy Clark. But it seems like the “first of the summer wine “ series would have been an excellent format for trying to explain how Clegg became the gentle philosopher he was. And again, you’re absolutely correct about both Joanne Haywood and fleur bennet! They were marvelous actresses and played their roles perfectly. Speaking of fleur Bennet, I have to admit that I found the perfection of feminine charms in her character of mavis moulterd. Maybe other people put themselves into a favorite character in their favorite television series besides myself. I’ve always identified with Clegg and I think that he should have been happily wed to the character mavis moulterd. What is more, mrs mavis Clegg should have been included in the LOTSW series. Lol. SHE would have let Compo put his filthy wellies boots up on the table!

I’m not sure if Seymour was in the war. He never mentioned anything about it that I recall. And truly was probably a policeman in London before moving to Yorkshire

I’ve often wondered at the fickle nature of the BBC audience, and why they let so many absolutely first rate situation comedies wither and die after ten or twelve episodes!! Think of all the excellent shows which ended after ten episodes, like the strange world of gurney slade, Grace and favour, fawlty towers, and the thin blue line! Well at least they let last of the summer wine become the world’s longest running tv show

I’ve often wondered at the fickle nature of the BBC audience, and why they let so many absolutely first rate situation comedies wither and die after ten or twelve episodes!! Think of all the excellent shows which ended after ten episodes, like the strange world of gurney slade, Grace and favour, fawlty towers, and the thin blue line!

Just to dress the balance it is not always the BBC or Production company often as in the case of Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and Car share,for example, the writers decided to stop because they considered that was the perfect time to cease making the show, because they believe it has run its course and to retain the brilliance of what they purveyed without it becoming stale and tired they simply stop.

Can I ask fellow members to support young Evan on YouTube? We need young blood to keep SW going into the future.
I'm sure that he'd appreciate a like & subscribe. Cheers all.
EVAN MARNEY. His latest is a character assessment of Norman Clegg.

Can I ask fellow members to support young Evan on YouTube? We need young blood to keep SW going into the future.
I'm sure that he'd appreciate a like & subscribe. Cheers all.
EVAN MARNEY. His latest is a character assessment of Norman Clegg.
I'm already subscribed to his channel, I've even commented on a few of his videos!

Back